Putting dogs to sleep

tiercel

We have nearly all had to do it, put an ill dog or an ancient dog to sleep. Not a very pleasant task but one that has to be done. Personally I could not ask another person to take my dog to the vets for me. I have been asked, and done so in the past, to take other peoples dogs to the vet for that last trip.

I think, although the injection is painless, the lead up to the injection is not without stress to the dog. The examination the shaving of the leg all causes stress to the dog. Who better to alleviate that stress than its owner its partner in crime for the whole of the dog’s life?

I have found that when taking my own dogs they remain calm and relatively stress free. They simply go to sleep in my arms like they have at my feet thousands of time before. This I find helps me combat that feeling that I am "playing God" with the dog.

How many people I wonder, think the same as myself, and how many cannot take that last visit? The people, who I have taken the dogs for, just could not bring themselves to do it. I am not knocking them I just cannot understand why they would not want the most peaceful end for their dogs.

My question is, do you take the last visit with your dogs and if not why not?

TC

I think when I have to put my dog down. I will go with him but the hardest part for me will be seeing that jag and then watching his eyes close for the last time.

I bet thats why people give there dogs to you to put down. But my dog has always been with me and I will be with him to the end.

df

There is no way that I would not be with Ted if/when that had to happen. I was in Germany when my first dog (Amber, Irish Setter) had to be put down and that was a huge blow. I missed the next one too (Saffy, Flat Coat Retriever), but managed to be there for Rosie (Flat Coat).

I really would not be able to live with myself if I was not there to Ted. He is a huge part of my life and there is no way I would want him to be stressed or alone at that time.

some people have no balls, i dont care how i upset or offend!!!

my dogs have done everything with me and when it comes to the time, i will be there to calm them and comfort them till they pass, i have had people ask me to take dogs before and they get a very short answer!!!

but it seems that all the other lads above back me up,

if you dont want to support your dog in its hour of need DONT HAVE ONE !!!

p.s wookie, this is not aimed at you mate, that cant be helped, i realy feel for you mate

i am talking about people who sit in the house feeling sorry for themselves when another takes the dog for the final act!!!

Edited by blaserman

Bravest thing you will ever have to do. I sat with my springer whilst he was put to sleep and I have to say nothing had ever frightened me more than waiting for the vet to arrive. She (the vet) was fantastic, got on with it, and he just slipped away in my arms. I felt so much stronger almost immediately as it was such a peaceful and dignified way out. We owe it to them to be there.

i held my gsd last november when it was done and i have to say it was a ball breaker.i could n`t stand to see her suffer any more and i know it was the right thing to do.my lab is getting old too and i know it will be coming again soon.it doesn`t want to put me off from owning dogs as i have my name on 2 more pups one german shepherd and another lab. we just have to give them as good a life as we can and as little suffering at the end

we had our max done due to brain tumber a few years ago, my heart went out to my daughter, who carried him to the vets in a taxi, **** soden, cos he couldn't hold his bladder and persisted to come in with me when they put him to sleep.

some people can do this, there's others that are to heart broken, don't knock them for being to attached and it knocks the **** out of them

i have been there for a few dogs who have been PTS cos of old age or injury but had to PTS my big white lurcher a month ago a fit healthy 3 year old dog who had killed many a fox for me during his short 3 years but he became a liability with livestock/ other dogs the dog was rehomed but wudnt settle for anyone even lads who had plenty of work for him he just wudnt settle and was returned to me and i had to make the heart breaking desion to PTS and as i say theres no way i cud stand and watch that healthy strong dog die in seconds so my mate took him for me, sad to say but i wish he had of taken a illiness or injury as i wud of been there with him but cudnt face it as he was a healthy dog, just a pity he had to be so stubborn and a fighter with other dogs which he did real damage to once he had a hold of them,

could/would you"s be there at the end for a healthy dog who had to be PTS cos of a issue as mentioned above

I have had too much experience of the vet and the end of an animals life, pairs of dogs , one knew what was comming , cats who I heard drowning as this is what the injection causes, never ever again, if the hound has to go then it will be a bullet, its fast and on the spot, dog has no idea and it is painless, one in the brain.This might be a more gorey way to some of you , but when you have heard what is involved with "Putting to sleep" then maybe you will understand.

It is my dog and when the end must come then I hope to make it painless and easy on the dog, not a drowning.

I have had too much experience of the vet and the end of an animals life, pairs of dogs , one knew what was comming , cats who I heard drowning as this is what the injection causes, never ever again, if the hound has to go then it will be a bullet, its fast and on the spot, dog has no idea and it is painless, one in the brain.This might be a more gorey way to some of you , but when you have heard what is involved with "Putting to sleep" then maybe you will understand.

It is my dog and when the end must come then I hope to make it painless and easy on the dog, not a drowning.

Traztaz,

I do not know what they use for an injection in Germany; here in the uk an overdose of anaesthetic is used. The effect is that the dog immediately becomes unconscious, and then the anaesthetic gives the dog a heart attack when it is unconscious. Depending on the size of the dog and the dose given the dog is usually clinically dead within 2 minutes.

TC

I have always taken mine and I don't know anyone with "working" dogs that does any different.

Funnily enough, I have taken four dogs for their owners and all have been pets.

One was for the nextdoor neigbour who's vet was just fleecing them. The dog was 14 blind, incontinent and virtually unable to walk. He had been like that for near on a year and the vet just kept on giving them hope that the dog would recover. It took a lot of persueding to get them to face facts. If left to them I doubt if the dog would have been PTS and the vet would have taken a lot more money off of them.

I do not blame them as such, as in reality they knew no better.

TC

the worst thing to do, but its cruel to be kind. I woke up for school at 13 to hear that dad had to shoot my first dog in the night as he was having a fit, and it was quicker than waiting for the vet. I was so angry that he didnt wake us so we could say goodbye, sounds stupid now but at 13 was a big deal! I work on dairy farms and you wouldnt beleive the horrible lump in your throat, and loss of appetite you get all day after having to put a cow down in the morning, not a companion animal as such but an animal you know very well. With cows at least i prefer the vet uses a gun, sounds gruesome but the ammount of stuff they need to inject is horrible, about 400ml and its still slow. Would rather take many a person down the vet for it before my dog :lol: but innevitably the time will come, hopefully not for many years!

SP

I will not put a dog through the vet stress scene. I have yet to own a dog that likes going to the vets and it's no different if they do a house call. A vet smells like a vet to a animal with olfactory abilities.

A worker deserves a night on easy quarry be it mixy or this years young and then shot and buried with due respect and the knowledge that you gave it a good life, IMHO.

LB

I'm lucky to have a good relationship with the vet, and he's brilliant with animals, so whether he sees them at home or the surgery, they are not too stressed, though obviously home is better. For the final day though, I would always prefer the vet to come to the house.

I do not know what the 'drowning' reference for cats was? The anasthetic just sends them straight to sleep, dead in less than a second or two.

I once saw a vet talking about euthenasia on TV, and he said he regarded it as a privilege to give a beloved animal a final act of dignity and compassion. One of my friends is currently dying of a brain tumour, and I dearly wish we were able to give him the same dignity - but that's a different rant.

Rhiannon

My first Springer died at the vets, who we'd spoken to just 10 mins previously on the phone to check on her to be told 'she was fine'....that was a real shocker, the second I had to take as she was not a well girl atall. Without doubt the worst gut wrenching and awful experience i've had to go through, bar none, but I owed it to her for the endless pleasure she'd given me over the years. Still miss her very much but you really owe it to them don't you think?

Just had to take the family pet Scottish Terrier to the vet for her final trip - liver cancer.

It was the very least that I could do for a lovely loyal pet.

Very upsetting though (for me, not her)

Edited by amateur

well i,m working up to it .

it looks like my black lab Jack will have to be pts , its so hard to do , as he's not even 6 years old.

he's been such a good lad and we love him so much :lol: .

the vet says they cant find any cause for his lameness and all his muscle as gone from his shoulder now and struggles on 3 legs and his in pain ( when moving ).

he's on rimadyl which helps plus it makes him sleepy and just keeps himself to himself lying in the corner of the room or utility :lol: usually snoring.

i just wish i knew for sure what he was going through , how do i know when the time is right?? , i know i have to do it and i know it gonna rip me apart :good: