300tdi blown a small end!

seb

Anyone come across this one before

The 300tdi in my defender has blown a small end bush, everyone I speak to has never heard of this happening on the 300. Driving down the motorway and suddenly really bad hammering from the engine and blue smoke. It had been a little noisy lately and a little more Smokey but it finally gave up big time without warning.

Still had to drive 30 miles with it knocking to safety.

Stripped it today and it needs a conrod and piston. The small end bush had completely disintegrated and made the conrod oval.

I think it might be a case of a bodger in the past as there are some marks on the piston that couldn't of been caused this time, maybe something in the past.

At least its a landy and I can get the bits

Seb

I lost faith in garages so I do all the work myself even though I hate scraping oil out of my hair...lol

I know there are some really great garages out there but I had a few bad experience's and someone I know recently had the brakes done and they didn't put back all the brake calliper bolts!

• 4 weeks later...

seb got a quick question for you...

My bearings went on passenger side front wheel, got all the bits and changed the bearings and races, for some reason tho there is still excessive movement on the wheel and i cant work out why. everything is tight eg. lock nuts etc, replaced the oil seal etc.

only thing i can think of is that i didnt push the oil seal far enough in. could that be the problem?

cheers bud,

Ash

ps. (edit)

its an M plate 90 300tdi :-) sexy machine lol

Edited by ashcmt

Smashed my swivel housing off today............ good you've got to love those bloody bolts that are lock tighted in.

Make sure you pre-tension you're bearing when you reassemble. They should be shimmed as well so that you cn remove play in the future.

turned out the swivel housing bearings had collapsed as well lol

all back together now, just got to get another hub oil seal before she can go properly all back together, quick trip to the landy man tomoro before work!

p.s. and by pre tensioning you mean tightening the lock nut then backing it off before locking it right?

Edited by ashcmt

No you tighten up the top bearing pin and this will increase the amount of pressure required to turn the completed hub assembly. Use a fishing type scales to pull the caliper , it should be between 3.6kg and 4.5kg

To adjust the amount of force required, add or remove shims from under the top bearing pin.

Any probs drop me a PM and I'll talk you through it