'Pest & Predator' controller

Nashty

Hi to everyone who's looking in :lol:

You've probably got the jist of what i'm going to ask but i will ask it anyway.

I know there is bound to be a few of you on this site that your occupation is that of a 'Pest & Predator' controller :D could you spend a few minutes to possibly give me some direction or pointers to how i go about getting involed in this sector of Game & Land management.

I live in a rural area of South Wales and think with the right training and qualifications behind me i could make a career of it. I'm very ambitious when i set my mind on something but am having trouble knowing where i should start ;)

I'm no spring chicken nor am i near the top of the hill either :D

Sensible advice will be gratefully appreciated.

• 2 months later...

I have had a similar idea myself, but from what ive been told, I dont stand a chance, at least not here (sw wales) as the farmers seem to think that they are doing ME the favour by letting me shoot their land!! :D

Dunno if it would be diferent on larger farms in england.

• 1 month later...

Funnily enough :lol: i did follow a link that was on this site somewhere to a geezer that was offering to make up 'those' cards. The only trouble is i have'nt got round to doing my car test :( i only ride motorbike. It is a nice bike though i must say :lol: so i'm keeping a close eye on one of the threads where somebody has inquired about 'carrying a gun on a motorcycle' :lol: there again there are quite a few farms not too far from my house

Can i just say also how good the cards are that he did for me, although he offers 3 types of design, you can still submit info to the guy of what you'd like the card to say. ;)

I think Holme Lacy agricultural college in Hereford is the nearest to you. I did a Forestry/gamekeeping course there and i got a job in Engineering!

I used to live in Undy funnily enough and spent my youth in Caldicot Comprehensive. Travel through Undy/Magor quite alot....god how it's changed!

• 2 weeks later...

Pete k, is that LANTRA an organization of somekind or training body that specifies in agri-training? Alrite rogo, are you descreetly telling me that the college isn't upto it or are you simply saying you did'nt fancy that sort of career?? Did you finish the course??

Pete k, is that LANTRA an organization of somekind or training body that specifies in agri-training? Alrite rogo, are you descreetly telling me that the college isn't upto it or are you simply saying you did'nt fancy that sort of career?? Did you finish the course??

I did finish the course but there are not that many jobs. College itself was good. Great tutors - the Gamekeeper tutor i had was Adam Smith who is the Editor (i think) for one of the Airgun mags.

If that's the career you want then go for it.

Mike.

I think i'm too old for the gamekeepers course or job rogo :( sadly enough.

On the pest control officer front, i'd agree with you rjimmer that as a one man band it would be far to hectic.

About working for a firm as you said such as Rentokill, there is an officer or two that regularly wander around my workplace, i have approached the senior officer and probed him (no, not that sort of probing :) )about a career as a PCO but he could'nt offer any useful advice.

It would be pucker working for myself being my own boss but i'd prefer to grab my tools, do the job and go home at the end of the day and let someone else do the worrying and all that paperwork. I know for sure my job satisfaction would'nt suffer, not like the vermin i'd be putting to rest :)

Or try the BASC! Courses don't last for ever so they might only be a week or so. Lets face it, the main reason for doing it is for the qualification.

I used to scare birds off runways for the yanks in my youth and had a great time. As soon as I was doing that, I was flying birds of prey, deer for farmers, bunnies at night - regularly 100+ a night - and packed it all in because I was lured off into capitalism. Stupid, stupid ******!

Don't like the motorbike idea. When you've shot 5 foxes, 3 crows, one muntjac (how many guns so far?) and a dead badger that the farmer wanted shifting off the road, baited your traps and it's hissing down with rain - you're in a van. Flask, wet dogs, heaters, dry smokes - sounds like an extremely uphill battle if you are on two wheels.

Cards are a great idea. Anybody will print up cards for you - stay with one colour and print on better card than you think you'll need. Cards get stuffed into pockets, torn, ripped, scribbled on and if they can't read your number 3 months later then they're not going to call you. Get a load done and go to farmers markets and livestock auctions. On the way into lambing time is good if you don't mind walking the hills. How are you going to lamp foxes off a bike?

Once you've got one under your belt, the rest follow. All totally skint see, farmers... Rats are also a good number. Got a good ratting dog? Can't do the job without one. Anyway, it will keep your spaniel, your labrador and your vizla company when you are out with the GSP!

Get your driving licence done - hook or by crook just get it - and go away with a grant in your pocket to study. After that, life will be wonderful. Fancy that, a wonderful life that just lasts for ever.

Old saying - The majority of men live lives of quiet desperation.

What a golden opportunity you have! :)

RTD

Riothedog, you've just added a ****load of coal to my furnace. I've got my nose in the book, the theory test book that is. Don't do foxes YET have'nt got the right licence. The cards i had made are laminated so theres not much chance they'll get ruined by the rain. I think they are very good value for money. Only cost a tenner plus �2 postage for 50, yes 50 of them in a neat little plastic box. :ernyha: .

Thanks for the encouragement and hope your doing well in the capitolism thingy and still do a bit now and again.

• 5 months later...
Guest flightline

LANTRA is the Sector Skills Council for land-based industries, based at bthe Royal Showground in Stoneleigh. Has comprehensive careers and jobs info-check out its website.

If you want to get into Public Health Pest Control which is where Rentokil and the like are at, the British Pest Control Association (BPCA) based in Derby are the lead body and have a website and organise training.

Rentokil technicians earn around £18k and most of the ones I know seem to be able to organise their work around their fishing and shooting.

The other major employers are the local authorities who all seem to have a Pest Control depatment. Money is similar.

There are lots of smaller Pest Control companies as a quick trawl around the yellow pages will show. You can try a CV to any of them. They often take on extra staff in the Summer to cover the Wasp season.

The advantages of the PH side are better pay, shorter hours and a free van. :)

For the Agricultural side, you need to find an Agricultural College. The nearest to you might be Lackham in Wiltshire, just south of the M4 but I think you'll find that pest control in the form of shooting vermin forms only a part of a much wider job description. If you don't enjoy getting cold, wet, agricultural wages and working unsociable hours on your own, its not for you. :lol:

• 1 year later...

Alas gents. Are we sitting comfortably.......

Last year I met up with an old friend(not that old really) and discovered that he was the keeper on a small shoot not too far away from where I live.

After a chat over a pint, he has allowed me to work alongside him carrying out keepers duties, all of which as you well know contain pest & predator control as well as other duties like feeding the birds, repairs and so forth but I've been with him for the past year now.

It's been absolutley amazing, organising beaters, catching the partridge for release and now this year I've just applied for my shotty cert again after seven yrs of abscence. In time I'm hoping to get my FAC for the charlies but overall I'm thrilled. Also, the keeper and his wife are having their first child in a few weeks so there is talk of having a much larger roll to play. HAPPY DAYS!!! :good:

Last year I met up with an old friend(not that old really) and discovered that he was the keeper on a small shoot not too far away from where I live.

After a chat over a pint, he has allowed me to work alongside him carrying out keepers duties, all of which as you well know contain pest & predator control as well as other duties like feeding the birds, repairs and so forth but I've been with him for the past year now.

It's been absolutley amazing, organising beaters, catching the partridge for release and now this year I've just applied for my shotty cert again after seven yrs of abscence. In time I'm hoping to get my FAC for the charlies but overall I'm thrilled. Also, the keeper and his wife are having their first child in a few weeks so there is talk of having a much larger roll to play. HAPPY DAYS!!! :good:

Also, the keeper and his wife are having their first child in a few weeks so there is talk of having a much larger roll to play.

call it a draw a nappy changing mate. :yes:

well done by the way. :/

What a load of twaddle, you guys should be on the 'Corrie' forum not PW forum

Cheers HH :good: . Did'nt really think i'd get much of a response on this one :/ I have'nt been able to locate an Agricultural college anywhere near my area. I'll keep looking though :/

theres an agricultural college in bridgend ,sounds like ya dont need it now mind.whos baby the keepers wife having :yes::D:lol:

It's been absolutley amazing, organising beaters, catching the partridge for release and now this year I've just applied for my shotty cert again after seven yrs of abscence. In time I'm hoping to get my FAC for the charlies but overall I'm thrilled. Also, the keeper and his wife are having their first child in a few weeks so there is talk of having a much larger roll to play. HAPPY DAYS!!! :(

Only cos i moved to SCOTLAND :lol:;);):lol:

Ok mate, I have read what you want to do and to be honest I don't think that you realy know what you want to do, you either want to be a keeper or be a Pest Controler, the two are totally different.

So if you want to be a keeper go on an aggri course and keep helping your friend, in the keeper circles people talk and you may land yourself a job one day. If you want to be a pro pest controler, be prepared to be checking mouse and rat boxes and writing reports all day because thats what is the norm. You will get to shoot sometimes, normally ferrals in a loft or at a factory, sometimes (depending where you work) Rabbits but usually thats it!

You will find that most of the time you will be in factories, office blocks, cafes, restaurants, houses and so on, not in the open fields.. This is reality.. As to Rentokil lads earning £18k well most of them are on £13K and the rest is made up of O/T and commission, most I know earn about £16k but some do earn more without a doubt!

If you do want to go down this route then as has been said, the BPCA is a very good option, but not the NPTA (National Pest Technitions Association) The BPCA qualifications now include the RSH qualification too (Royal Society of Health.)

Rentokil will give you reasonable training but it is biased on their products, which to be frank in my oppinion some are a little bit lacking. Further to this Rentokil are going through some major changes at the moment and a lot of people are unhappy! There will be some vacancies soon!

Hope that this helps..