Home loads (and components)

My dad and i use to load home loads with pre used winchester AA and GB cases  and they are the best catriges we have used (very hard hittting,  just what i need) and youget the added satisfaction of seeing a bird falll with something you made!Any one out there feel the same? oh yeah does any one know where i could buy winchester mark 3 wads?

Hi egnwt, Nice Name !!! ;)

Many, many years ago a friend and I bought a homeloading outfit, toured the clay shooting grounds collecting the one piece cases and spent the occassional evening loading our own cartridges.

I think we saved money, but it was hard work for the rewards.

We sold the machine and all our raw materials after about a year.

I buy my cartridges "ready made", the price is not too bad and the quality is generally good.

I also trout fish and have friends that tie their own flies.

I buy my flies from the fishing tackle shop, but I can imagine it must be quite a thrill catching a trout on a fly you have hand made.

I suppose the same applies to loading your own cartridges. :)

egnwt, another thing I forgot to mention, I was never very happy about storing the raw materials in my house.

I know that cartridges are "explosives", but they do need a bit of help to go "BANG".

Gunpowder is a bit more volatile.

We use to buy quite a bit at a time, to get the best price.

I forgot to mention it to the Insurance Company that insured my house.I don,t think they would have been very happy.    ;)

I have never tried the Eley High Flyers, so I can,t really comment on them.

Try another brand, I use mainly Gamebore and Express.When I miss its usually my fault, not the cartridges. :)