223 Vs The Chicken Eater

garyb

I've Just picked up a new permission whilst sipping an ale or to in my local, a lady with a small horse paddock (around 20 acres) who keeps Chickens and Ducks had been having trouble with our good friend Mr Fox taking more than his fair share of their livestock.

I'd been watching this same fox for a good 3 nights running, and had managed to work out a time pattern of the sightings which were around 9:15 pm... A small(ish) vixen who looked in good health but each time i'd seen it - it wasn't on our ground!

So a plan was hatched and I stuck a Fox Kebab of a Rabbit and an old Pheasant staked into the back end of the field to temp her over.

Myself and Stealth Stalker met for a pint in the local and a quick chat with the land owner before heading out at 8:30 to try and apprehend the culprit..

We made our way through the 1st field where SS took a couple of good bunnys with his .22lr up to the gate which looks down over the bait... sure enough we'd just rested the rifle on the gate I gave a quick call - SS flicked on the lamp and there she was in a hedge around 150 yards away.

SS was straight on the caller and had the lightforce on dim.. just enough to coax her in.. she started coming.. maybe to 120 yards where she then started to run left handed down a hedgerow..

I called for more light and squeezed off a 55grn hollowpoint - "Thud".. Great I thought she's down.. and she was - for about 10 secs before she was up and running! :D SS did a great job on the lamp and kept with her, she must of got another 40 yards before dropping over, as we got closer it was obvious she was still "with us" so a follow up shot at close range with the .22lr was required :) - Im sure she would have bled out and expired in the end.. but neither of us even considered allowing that to happen.

We took some time looking at the shot placement... and to be honest it couldnt really be faulted.. it had gone in just behind the top of the leg bone, taking the right leg almost clean off as it exited - so appeard right in the vital zone. When I picked her up that sound of a "watery mush" was very evident and there appeared to be a decent amount of soft tissue damage... It did take us both a bit back... but she didnt suffer for long...

She was shot bang on 9:00pm - It goes to show, they are very much creatures of habit :blink:

Here's a couple of pics

post-2887-1235036772.jpg

post-2887-1235036802.jpg

Edited by garyb

Well done lads, good write up too.

Its an odd one. I have only had one fox run after being shot with the .223. I was thinking initially I missed but I was certain that I couldn't have, I was steady, didn't pull it, followed through. It ran 20-30 yards after the shot and dropped dead.

On inspection it was the same as your vixen, an exit wound the size of both my fists and its insides were pulp. Using the lamp we looked in the body cavity and its organs had been minced.

Its distressing when it happens but even with good shot placement sometimes they travel a bit :blink:

Only one of my foxes has run after being shot as well. I shot her straight in the chest, the bullet went through her and almost severed her back leg. she ran for about 20 yards then dropped. I felt terrible at the time, but at least she only 'lasted' for about 2 minutes.

Great write up, and well done on getting the fox. :blink:

What Gary forgot to mention was his convieniently placed kebab was in a dip 20 yards out of sight from his shooting position of the gate :D Still much to learn :no:

I'm still amazed at the distance she went with that shot placement :good:

You also forgot to mention that the kebab was still there in the morning untouched , so in my book thats "a good job done" :yes:

Well done mate :yes:

SS