Which bore ?

I,ve noticed that a few posters are using smaller bores than 12 bore.

Sporting Gun magazine frequently feature,in articles and shooting reports, shooters who use smaller gauge shotguns.

I have owned and shot .410, 20bore and 16bore, but have always used 12bores for the majority of my shooting.

If you use anything other than a 12bore, why ?

I normally use 16 or 20 but sometimes even use my little 410 as I have fallen in love with it over the years. Its small lite and just looks good I all ways use 12 bores but do not own one my main pigeon gun is my 20 bore but next I buy my new gun I will move up to a 12.

I think people use small bores because they like the look of them  ;)

I have used a 12 since i was in my teens, firstly a side by side which shot well, then in the last 5/6 years a o/u, love it cos a good workhorse, a few years back i bought a 20bore. tried it...couldn't hit anything, ****** up my swing, put it away, tried last season again...better but still not up to the job, maybe i will try it on pigeons, but i'm always thinking it will never reach the high ones..... ;)  so i never have confidence in it :what:

I think the thing to remember is you get the same rage with a twenty as a twelve bore just a few less shot.  So in some ways it comes down to accuracy.

I use a twelve but i am just about to buy a twenty for my almost 13 year old daughter to use.  The reason for the twenty is simple, its  smaller and lighter for her to handle but just as deadly as the twelve.

There is a chap at the shoot Lazza and I attended that quire often uses a four ten on the clear up and roost shooting as he love the little gun and I have constantly watch him take out pigeons cleanly at 30 to 40 yards.

So the answer to the question is use what suits you best and can hit the little ******* with.

Kev

:)  ;)  :(

I've used a twenty for the last fourteen years,and would never go back to a twelve,the 20 bore will kill every bit as well as a 12 bore,but as it swings faster,you need a couple of lessons to get used to it,also,30 inch barrels help steady the swing.Six out of ten of the members on our pheasant syndicate now use twentys and we produce some very high birds,and few runners,they're either dead or missed clean.I find that the twenty has a longer shot string and actually think its more accurate than a 12 bore,but each to his own,its all down to what you have confidence in! ;)