Pest control for farmers.

MerseaDavid

Reading in the Farmers weekly today that there is a new site starting up ********************* where they pay farmers to have someone come and shoot their pigeons.

Farmers can earn up to £500 to have someone come round to their farm and shoot the pigeons.

That means that it is going to be harder for some of us to find land to shoot over now.

Bu tyou can join to get shooting on farms near you and it will cost you around £125 per year but you can then shoot that farm any day you want. (I think)

Edited by Cranfield

One of the reasons many PW members find it hard to find farmers willing to let them on their land is trust. Farmers are canny, suspicious, wary folk in the main and certainly don’t want just any Tom, **** or Harry wandering their fields with guns etc. Farmers don't like strangers and only time and honesty gets you into their good books.

Looks to me like someone’s pinched John Shooters (NPPC) idea and updated it, maybe. Made a better job of it, maybe. BUT not necessarily going to be the end of all your pigeon shooting. If they are paying £500 per annum to every farmer on their books ('will be a farm within 10 miles of you') they are going to need a bigger membership than BASC and CA combined to make that pay (do the math) so I can’t see it making too much of an impression on your shooting.

The website talks a good talk and will most likely attract a number of members as the yearly fee to members isn’t dear BUT how many farms actually sign up to the deal might be debatable. £500 isn’t a lot of money if you have to worry about who’s wandering your fields with a gun when you’ve probably no idea who’s likely to be about. We have one farmer in this area who banned all shooting over his land (some 3000 acres) as so many took the **** he had no idea who was out and about, when, with who, etc and every time the phone rang about someone shooting he had to drop things to go see what was going on. Easier to say no shooting at all.

i contacted them last week and as yet they are not up and running, the nppc is based to far away for me to make any real use off so this looked a better bet. wether or not it works is a different matter, i hope it does but we will see.

we have a few farms that dont like shooters of any kind, tough luck for them when the pests destroy their crops then, they can't have it both ways

i havent heard of this before and can't see how it would work u would need a lot of members for it to work £500 per farmer £125 per member four members per farm do the maths ? u be willing to pay £125 to shoot on a farm with some one u didnt know all it takes is for somone to do sumthing stupid and ur off that farm .where would it cover ie the whole counrty or just certain parts of it and how many farms would u have the shooting over for u r £125

I would pay 125 a year at the minute but I could imagine they would get swamped for that price so it would soon go up.

Example shooting estate's.

Shooting estate's are doing this buying up the farm's and the price's are ridiculous and your right in what your saying,it will of course be harder to get a shoot and it will work out you can't afford to shoot.

It is the way it is going to end up.

Only rich people will be able to shoot soon.

P.s. funny thing is,is we're doing them the favour

On my permission there are 20 guns! I shoot for nought and have done for years but the other 19 pay £385 per Annum and the most I have ever seen on the farm is 3 people and they are the same 3 :blush: So what do the others pay to do :o 1 has only been twice in a year :hmm:

As they pay,you cannot even tell them you have a problem on the Rape so get your #ums out here.

I cant see this really taking off in a big way, £500 to an arable farmer isn't a great deal i dont think, most farmers want people they know and trust and can call on when needed, and don't really want god knows who wandering around their land with a gun, well mine certainly don't, it takes a good while to become trusted by most farmers and when they have a reliable team it must be invaluable at times, and i don't think they would want to loose the trusted reliable vermin shooters, well not for 500 quid anyway.

mikee

My 2p-worth, both as a farmer and an estate manager: this is rubbish. The FW advert made me laugh out loud. I manage several tens of thousands of arable land in East Anglia. There isn't a commercially-minded farmer or farm manager that I know who views or would view £500 as value for money in this instance. As has already been said, it is not worth the hassle of having unknowns traipsing around private property, when there are hordes of eager volunteers who will do the job.

I have never struggled to find pigeon shooters to cover our crops. All of the Shots are locals, or are referred on. They get free shooting, on the understanding that i) they shoot when asked (within reason), ii) that they shoot as many birds as possible, and that iii) they act as dependable eyes and ears for the farms. All of the Shots radio in at the end of the day, or drop in to the farm offices: a bit of 'quality face time' does wonders.

I am not denigrating the NPPC. It works well. However, well-managed freebie shooting works equally well at protecting crops.

Edited by Baldrick

My 2p-worth, both as a farmer and an estate manager: this is rubbish. The FW advert made me laugh out loud. I manage several tens of thousands of arable land in East Anglia. There isn't a commercially-minded farmer or farm manager that I know who views or would view �500 as value for money in this instance. As has already been said, it is not worth the hassle of having unknowns traipsing around private property, when there are hordes of eager volunteers who will do the job.

I have never struggled to find pigeon shooters to cover our crops. All of the Shots are locals, or are referred on. They get free shooting, on the understanding that i) they shoot when asked (within reason), ii) that they shoot as many birds as possible, and that iii) they act as dependable eyes and ears for the farms. All of the Shots radio in at the end of the day, or drop in to the farm offices: a bit of 'quality face time' does wonders.

I am not denigrating the NPPC. It works well. However, well-managed freebie shooting works equally well at protecting crops.

I 100% agree with you mate.

I also work on a farm and shoot a couple of others and they also dont really care about and extra £500 a year and they also like to know the people that are shooting the land aswell.

Pigeon shooters are never hard to find it is just land that is.

If this idea does work then good luck to them, but my farms wont be phoneing them.

hi all good debate... it sounds like a good idea... but your never going to find framers that will let shooters thay DONT no walking around there land...

iv been a <rough shoot> shooter for 20 years.. and as a b.a.s.c member i just cant find pigeon shoting. unless you want to pay £40+ per day...

as i live in london and not in the sticks i dont know any farmers growing rape / peas :blink:

but iv just started to find some shooting via this forums :good:

cheers guys David

just want to thank tom for the days pigeon shooting next week

its a 140 mile each way

but hay-ho i just love pigeon shooting

:good:

Edited by David 686

I agree but its difficult when your trying and your desperate to get some land to shoot on.

I took up pigeon shooting about four years ago and allthough I had a fair few woods to shoot in I didnt have any crop fields so I was introduced to the NPPC.

I paid my memebership and enjoyed some good shooting and met a few good guys along the way, during my year as a memeber I picked up some of my own land and went from there..

I do agree with you but when you dont have any it can be your only option to get your gun out.

The PM (NOT THE ONE GIVING OUT GOLD PLATED PENSIONS TO BANKERS)

Edited by pigeon master