.223 or .22-250

Guest topshot_2k

Guest topshot_2k

As i have my FAC renewal at end of this year i am considering a variation from a .223 to a .22-250. My uses will be for Fox, Muntjac etc on about 450acres of land (which the .223 has been approved) and shots will be under 200yds.

Im just thinking that maybe the 22-250 will be a better choice for the deer especially if i finally get to go stalking up north/abroad etc

Can anyone give me adivce? should i just stick with a .223?

Edited by topshot_2k

You'd be aswell doing a search in this forum has the subject will have be raised many times.

From the info given i'd stick with the 223 unless you'll be stalking red, if you are then you'd be best with an all purpose rifle which raises another question, what calibre should that be.

Not very helpful i know but do the search and you'll get some answers :yp:

If you're aiming to shoot anything other than Chinese water Deer and Muntjac, then a 22-250 or .223 will not be allowed. The minimum calibre for all other deer species in England and Wales is .240 with a minimum muzzle energy of 1700 ft/lbs. Scotland: For all deer of any species - the bullet must weigh at least 100 grains AND have a minimum muzzle velocity of 2,450 feet per second AND a minimum muzzle energy of 1,750 foot pounds. (Souce: BASC website) I think you'll have a bit of trouble trying to get either calibre to hit those minimum amounts.

A 243 is a BRILLIANT round. Used one to shoot fox, its pretty flat shooting and because there heavier are better in the wind that 223 or a 22-250. You can use them on ALL deer species in the uk aswell as Vermin and Fox :yp: I dont know what else you want mate :blush: It really does look like a do all round. Considering putting in a variation for one myself, but atm I cant afford to buy the guns I already have slots for :D lol! :lol:

Just thought Id recommend it though mate, friend of mine uses one and they do seem very good :good:

.223 wil be cheaper to run and fine for sub-200 yard shots. But you will always wonder whether the .22-250. would have done the job better. I have just bought another .22-250, and it is a blindingly good round.

I was always impressed by the .243, but the one-gun philosophy is a limitation if you expand your stalking remit to big fallow and woodland reds.

If all your shots are 200 yards or less then the 223 will be ok.

I can not compare as i havent owned a 223 but i would be amazed if it is a better round than a 22-250 for foxes.The 22-250 is so flat shooting,gets there quicker and has massive stopping power on foxes.

As someone else has said its a good round for roe north of the border.

In my opinion the 22-250 is the ideal round for fox.Other rounds will do the job but not as well.

Are you intending on reloading or buying factory ammo?

Cost has to come into it I suppose so, if buying factory ammo, I would go for the 223. If cost is not a consideration, or you are reloading, the 22-250 beats the 223 hands down in every situation I have come across. I have both calibres, but if I had to keep just one it would be the 22-250.

243 is an excellent calibre for all round shooting. Getting land passed for it is usually not hard if you already have 223 on it.

Are you intending on reloading or buying factory ammo?

Cost has to come into it I suppose so, if buying factory ammo, I would go for the 223. If cost is not a consideration, or you are reloading, the 22-250 beats the 223 hands down in every situation I have come across. I have both calibres, but if I had to keep just one it would be the 22-250.

243 is an excellent calibre for all round shooting. Getting land passed for it is usually not hard if you already have 223 on it.

Good advice.

You're talking about maybe getting stalking up north as well as abroad. Do you know what you'll be shooting? Any of the .22s will limit you greatly for anything other than Muntjac, CWD and Roe in Scotland. I'm taking a bit of a stab in the dark here but I'd say go for something bigger. At least then you can shoot all of the UK species legally. You could get a gun that is a little on the small side for large Deer, with good shot placement you will get by and at least be legal.

I was in the same position as you and went for 6.5x55. You can fire anything from 90grn Varmint bullets to 160grn hard stuff which is good enough for Elk and Moose at a push. If you were to load one with 120grn Nosler ballistic tip it would do your Fox and any UK Deer very well. Not quite as flat shooting as a .243, but you're not pushing any great ranges on the Fox so that shouldn't really be an issue for you. The .243 is a fast and light round, relying on velocity to get your kill. It would be better for long range Foxes (over 200 yards with ease) but on big Reds you need to shoot them accurately and not at great range.

Why are you so keen on a .22-250? It really will hold you back if you get better Deer stalking offers and at under 200 yards it has little to offer over the gun you have now. I think it would be a very bad choice for you, and I'm surprised more people haven't pointed that out. You couldn't shoot any large Deer with it!

I have 6.5x55 for Deer, Fox and Vermin. It's not a large Deer calibre so most forces seem happy to accept it for Fox use if there is mention of Deer too. I think either that or a .243 would be your best route. If you shoot 100 foxes to every Deer, and those Deer are usually small, then .243 is by far the best bet. If you plan to stalk larger Deer fairly regularly either here or abroad, then the 6.5x55 would give you that little extra knockdown you will require for the large species often encountered at long range up on the hills. :welcomeani:

Guest topshot_2k

Thanks for all the replies :welcomeani: , I have heard a lot of good things about the .22-250 and with my renewal it got me thinking about swapping.

I originally was planning on the .243 but i had a few issues getting it approved (mainly as this was my first FAC and i was 20) and due to the law change on .22 centre fires for muntjac/cwd i was talked down to a .223.

Ideally i would keep the .223 and apply for a bigger calibre for larger deer/foxing etc but im not sure if the FEO would see enough justification for the occasional stalking trip?

I dont have any experience of reloading other than what i researched but its definatly something i would like to get into in time

If you can show you'll be stalking you have enough need to ask for one. I have a .375H&H which I bought to take into Bear country in Canada. It will live in the safe until I sell it or go back to Canada to hunt in 3 years, whichever comes first! You don't have to use something every week to justify it, and if you can come up with a Roe shoot this side of the border that will be enough for you to legally require a bigger gun.

Can you give a little more detail as to what you plan to do abroad? If you want to keep your .223 and have a gun for use on larger UK Deer and for example White Tail Deer like I shot in Canada or Boar you would be well off buying bigger. This is where it gets complicated, as some countries don't allow military calibres to be used for hunting (I think France is one?).

I'd be tempted to point you in the direction of a .270. Ammo is widely available and you don't have to worry about having Vermin on it if you're keeping the .223.

All this is still a stab in the dark though! Can you give us more details of what you would like to do abroad? What do you want to hunt and where? How often? You may not know exactly, but just give us an idea of your dreams so we can make a more accurate suggestion!

Guest topshot_2k

Well it would be on deer - roe, fallow. France would be the most likely as we have been talking about it for a few months and my mate has friends there, wouldnt be more than once/twice a year abroad.

So based on my circumstances would it be worth keeping the .223 for foxing and applying for a .270 for deer stalking/control both on the farm and on hunting trips?

Do you have a list of calibres not allowed in france?

Edited by topshot_2k

I'm not certain France is one of the countries that doesn't allow them, but I have a feeling it could be. What would be a military calibre? I'd say .223, .308, .30-06, .303, .338 Lapua, there may be others?

The .270 would be reasonable I think. They have quite a bark on them when fired and the muzzle blast will surprise you if you haven't used a big rifle before, but you'll soon get used to it. With a moderator fitted it would be fine (although some countries also don't allow them!). It's a big enough gun for Boar and Deer and will do Elk and Moose as long as the range isn't extreme. I fired one in Canada and it wasn't as bad as I've been led to believe. It may be a little punchy for Roe but with a heavy bullet the meat damage wouldn't be too bad.

EDIT... Just read you expect to be after Roe and Fallow sized stuff. 6.5x55 would be plenty for them if you don't want to go too big. They're much more shoulder friendly than a .270!

EDIT AGAIN!..What a muppet I am. 6.5x55 is a military round too ???

Edited by njc110381

• 1 year later...
If you can show you'll be stalking you have enough need to ask for one. I have a .375H&H which I bought to take into Bear country in Canada. It will live in the safe until I sell it or go back to Canada to hunt in 3 years

are you aloud to zero it in england

As i have my FAC renewal at end of this year i am considering a variation from a .223 to a .22-250. My uses will be for Fox, Muntjac etc on about 450acres of land (which the .223 has been approved) and shots will be under 200yds.

Im just thinking that maybe the 22-250 will be a better choice for the deer especially if i finally get to go stalking up north/abroad etc

Can anyone give me adivce? should i just stick with a .223?

The answer reading your post has to be NO to the 22-250, get a .243 or .308 and KEEP the .223.

Fox and Muntjac up to 200 yards is fine with a .223...I see no point whatsoever chopping it for a 22-250 for that. I have taken Roe (legally) and fox well past 200 yards with a .223.

However, for the deer especially if i finally get to go stalking up north/abroad etc why limit yourself, the .243 does everything and better than a 22-250, and the .308 is another option!

Personally I'd say forget a 22-250 in your circumstances!

Edited by Dekers

Have you looked at the date of the first post...................................I suspect he bought a gun years ago !!!!!!

Doh!!!! ??????:good:???

:good::lol: a Follow up may be interesting to see what he did do and how he got on if the original poster is still about, but well spotted, I missed that! ???