New Lanber Deluxe 28''

rabbitstopper

Secondhand .410,s use to be very common, but I don,t see so many in our local Gunshop.

1)I have owned a single shot bolt actioned Webley.

2)A very nice s/s, ejector model,Spanish gun.

3)A 3 shot automatic, bolt action, American gun.

1) Nice gun, but all the problems of a single shot gun.

2) Far too nice to use, should have spent its life hanging on a wall.

3) One of the most useless guns I ever acquired. After firing the shot in the chamber, the "feed" would jam and you couldn,t fire the second (or third) shot.

Following numerous trips to the gun repairers, the conclusion was that the action was incorrectly aligned.

After I sold them all onwards, I realised that I never really had a need for a .410.

I did shoot a spectacular "tower bird" partridge with the Webley .410.

I was walking around the edge of a wood, next to a cabbage field, looking for rabbits.

I flushed a small covey of partridges and shot one.

It flew straight up in the air until it was almost a dot.

Then its wings folded and it fell down, stone dead.

Apparently, this happens when a piece of shot hits a certain part of the birds brain.

The upward flight is all reflex action. Really weird to see.

James

I bought a new Lanber last year for clays - it's the 30" mc O/U and it's a great gun. I've out about 2,000 carts through it and expect it'll do for another few million, it just does'nt want to stop! One important thing though I had it fitted for me by a gunsmith - who also happens to be a retired cabinet maker who took 3/4" off the stock and shaped it for me. The difference was unbelieveable. I bought a S/S Sarasqueta ej. second hand, at the right price - 300 euros (less than 200 quid) and it's great for pigeons. I also had it fitted for me. I bought the cheaper gun for field work as I felt the Lanber may have been too heavy to lug around fields and I didn't want to damage it!  Good luck with your new gun and do think to have it fitted for you.

Paddy

Idon,t have a clue what the "camber" of the Webley .410 is.

I don,t have a clue what the "camber" is. ;)

The bolt action was a basic..... bolt back, chamber opens, drop cartridge in, push bolt forward and turn.

Fire gun, lift and pull bolt back,cartridge ejects.

The safety, is the rear of the bolt action.

After the gun was loaded, to diengage the safety it had to be pulled back against a spring, twisted slightly anti-clockwise (I think) and eased forward.