Gun fitting.

Cranfield

I am thinking about having my new gun "fitted".

Having never done this before, I have been making enquiries to ensure that I am comparing prices, for exactly the same service.

I have received some differing ideas on what "gun fitting" means and some very different prices quoted.

Has anyone else had this done ?

What did you get and for how much ?

There's no definite rule regarding stocks.  It depends on your build and what clothing you are wearing at the time.  For someone of average build and 5'10" height, a 14 1/2 to 15" stock will probably be about right.  For someone of 6', a 15" to 15 1/2" stock will be suitable.

If you are of a heavy build, the stock will probably need to be shorter than for a lightly built person.

If you shoot in shirtsleeves in the summer, and wear a heavy coat with a jumper in the winter, you will notice a difference, so don't alter it because of this or it will be too short / long in 6 months time.

There are lots of ideas over stock length and gun fitting, and other members, please feel free to contradict me!

The downside with altering stocks is that you immediately lower the gun's value if modified.

You need something you are comfortable with.  If you shoot very well with the gun and it is comfortable, I would be inclined to keep it as it is.  If you find it uncomfortable and you are consistently shooting above or below the target, then it may be appropriate to modify it.

You could try shooting with other peoples guns and comare them to give you an idea.

My 2 main guns are a Browning 425 o/u which is made to fit "Mr average" and a Beretta 391 s/auto which in common with a lot of auto,s comes with adjustable stock shims and butt pads.I find that when using the 425, I have to position the gun when mounting it to get a straight line down the barrel but with the 391 fitted with the shim to give maximum cast off and drop and the shortest butt pad ,the gun comes into line as soon as I mount it. I am convinced this is the reason that I get better results with it. :) I should add that my height and build fits the description of "Mr average" but obviously we are not the same even if we come into this category. ;)

I am not anticipating too many changes to the gun, certainly none that require major surgery.

Being new, it feels "different".

I find I am thinking about mounting the gun and swinging through.

It was all quite automatic with my old gun.

A fitting was suggested at a Clay Ground (Shooting School), I was at last week.

Not because they thought I needed it, but because it would let me know if my gun needed altering.

They charge £45 to measure you and "fit" you with an adjustable skeleton gun. They then check out your gun and eventually give you a "prescription" for any changes that they recommend for your gun.

You then take it to a Gunsmith for alteration.

I have also been quoted £60 for the "fit" and "basic" alterations.

I might try the £45 idea and see what they recommend.

If i were you i would take your new gun with you, The three  main things with gun fit are Combe, Stock Length and cast the chances that all theese will need adjusting are slim. For what its worth i had a beretta and always shot high with it, having always used a browning. I dont think you should change the style in which you shoot either that could well be a reciepe for disaster, you should always look at the bird first and not down the gun.