BASC Concession for Job Seekers

webber

What im trying to say, is if I was unemployed getting job seekers allowance, whether i dont want to work or been made redundant but wanting to work, would getting BASC membership be on the £45 a week budget? :angry: no. even if I wanted to go wildfowling I would wait till I find another job. Paying bills and food is the top priority not BASC membership. So thats why I see it as pointless.

You may see it as pointless , but have you thought it through. It seems that many unemployed people find sufficient funds to smoke or have the odd drink, but for the outdoor type, it would not only be beneficial to mental well being to continue to shoot, and not just wildfowling, and what about supplementing the dinner table with shot animals and birds? That would help to stretch out the budget. Plus there's the aspect of when you are already on a tight budget, having an uninsured incident would be a real downer, a good reason why keeping the membership going is important

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As you know BASC is run by an elected Council of members.

Council had got feedback from a few clubs syaing how, in the current climate, some of their members were feeling the pinch, so Council decided to make an offer of good will to new and existing members who have lost their jobs etc.

Sorry some of you do not like this decision, but at the same time i see almost an equal number like it.

I wish we could please all the people all the time!

David

We are always looking at membership rates, and Council have the final say on suggestions I or indeed others may put forward.

At the moment there are no plans to discount BASC subscriptions to all new members or members on renewal apart from those on Job Seekers. BASC already offeres a raft of discounted memberships, Junior, Senior, Gamekeeper, Students, Club , Syndicate and so on

I am familiar with discount schemens for new members- one other organisation was running such last year. Do they work? Not too sure to be honest, as in generaly your greatest lapse rate is with members after yerr 1 anyway - possibly / probably even great if in year two they are expected to pay a large increase in membership subscription.

Not for that matter will BASC ever sell on price- I know we get knocked for the fact we have a high subscrioiption rate -and the arguments for this have been done to death and I am not going to start another run on this!

BUT as I have said, I hope I have made it clear both here on the web site, in the mag and so on what you get for your money with BASC. If that fits you and your wallet then please join BASC. If it does not for what ever reason then join one of the other organisations - most if not all offer a cheap option.

I am reviewing a discount structure for Direct Debit payers, research on this starts next week and I have to give a formal presentation in April. DD is good for BASC for loads of reasons so it is worth discounting in some cases or running another incentive to get people to join by DD

David

D

There should,'t be enough money left out of benefits to allow for any type of shooting, let alone drinking, smoking and runnin a car.

Too many people in this country with their snouts in the trough not even eaiting for it to be filled back up again.

Point 1 why is that then? I can see your displeasure with those professional benfit claimers, but for those who have fallen victim to the greed and incompetence of the big bonus getters, it is not meant to be a punishment, and like I said, supplement the shopping, and replacing some items with hunted prey, would not only help to keep the cost down for those folk, but would be of benefit to their well being too. I hope you can manage to keep your job in this climate

Point 2, I totally agree, and most have not paid one penny into the system in the first place, and in my opinion should not be given one penny in benefits or health care untiul they have paid in for a minimum of 5 years, regardless of race creed or colour, then lets see how popular this country is a destination for "asylum" seekers

Perhaps that was a bit of a general statement. I was aiming at the "professional benfit claimers", the ones runnning two cars and having foreign holidays. Sat at home watching Cash in the Attic on their 50 inch flat screen and calling their dealer off their iPhone.

I realise that there are many genuine cases.

Point 1 why is that then? I can see your displeasure with those professional benfit claimers, but for those who have fallen victim to the greed and incompetence of the big bonus getters, it is not meant to be a punishment, and like I said, supplement the shopping, and replacing some items with hunted prey, would not only help to keep the cost down for those folk, but would be of benefit to their well being too. I hope you can manage to keep your job in this climate

Point 2, I totally agree, and most have not paid one penny into the system in the first place, and in my opinion should not be given one penny in benefits or health care untiul they have paid in for a minimum of 5 years, regardless of race creed or colour, then lets see how popular this country is a destination for "asylum" seekers

Off course you spend money on the cartridges then the stuff for maintaining the gun. Then the car to go out and hunt you food. all on £45 a week, then after your shooting you then turn to your bills Electric, gas, TV licence, Car tax, petrol, MOT, Phone and internet bills.

Right kids your gonna have pigeon for breakfast pigeon for lunch and pigeon for dinner cooked outside on the fire cause we aint got no gas.

Its cheaper if you go to the supermarket and buy the markets brands.

If I lost my job hunting and shooting would not be on my list unless going out with somebody to drive me there.

I would like to see people who have been made redundant still go out shooting while out of work.

Looking for work and family comes before shooting or any other hobby.

Perhaps that was a bit of a general statement. I was aiming at the "professional benfit claimers", the ones runnning two cars and having foreign holidays. Sat at home watching Cash in the Attic on their 50 inch flat screen and calling their dealer off their iPhone.

I realise that there are many genuine cases.

Then we are in agreement, another thing that baffles me. I don't know of 1 priest, vicar, rabbi, guru or whatever that claims benefits, as they all have a job or calling, but from what I can see, clerics, such is Abu Hamza and Mohammed Bakri and others like them all seem to be able to claim vast amounts of benefits, and thats while being unavailable for work on a Friday? So how does that work then?

When I joined the Eden Wildfowlers in 1973 about half of the membership was unemployed - having been made so by the closure of the pits in Fife. None of them wanted to be idle but many took a long time to find new jobs due to the general scarcity of work in a deprived area. For them, being able to continue shooting did three things - it provided food for the table, it got them out and gave them an interest, and it put some money into the family budgets from the sales of pigeons and rabbits.

The current recession is going to throw thousands of hard-working folk out of their jobs, often on a very localised basis as large industrial plants close. It seems that some people on this thread think that they should give up their shooting.

I think that the BASC decision is a brilliant way of making life a little easier for members in those circumstances, many of whom will have been paying full BASC subs for many years.

I hope that all unemployed BASC members quickly find new employment - as I am sure they do. But if they can continue to receive the huge benefits of BASC membership while they are temporarily out of work, then I am sure they will appreciate that.

Some of the contributors on this thread seem to think that shooting has to be an expensive sport which only rich parasites should be able to afford. For the record, the 20 days wildfowling I did in the season just past (the only shooting I did) cost me about £140 made up of:

Club Subscription (including BASC membership) - £60

Diesel fuel to travel to marsh - £60

Cartridges - £20

Let me tell you guys, if I was on Jobseekers Allowance it would be a top priority to cut other things from my budget so that I could still go shooting and I would be very pleased to have my club subscription reduced to £38 as a result of this gesture by BASC. I might cycle if I had to sell my car and I might go back to reloading my own shells but I would still be a member of BASC and grateful for the concession in the subs.

We are always looking at membership rates, and Council have the final say on suggestions I or indeed others may put forward.

At the moment there are no plans to discount BASC subscriptions to all new members or members on renewal apart from those on Job Seekers. BASC already offeres a raft of discounted memberships, Junior, Senior, Gamekeeper, Students, Club , Syndicate and so on

I am familiar with discount schemens for new members- one other organisation was running such last year. Do they work? Not too sure to be honest, as in generaly your greatest lapse rate is with members after yerr 1 anyway - possibly / probably even great if in year two they are expected to pay a large increase in membership subscription.

Not for that matter will BASC ever sell on price- I know we get knocked for the fact we have a high subscrioiption rate -and the arguments for this have been done to death and I am not going to start another run on this!

BUT as I have said, I hope I have made it clear both here on the web site, in the mag and so on what you get for your money with BASC. If that fits you and your wallet then please join BASC. If it does not for what ever reason then join one of the other organisations - most if not all offer a cheap option.

I am reviewing a discount structure for Direct Debit payers, research on this starts next week and I have to give a formal presentation in April. DD is good for BASC for loads of reasons so it is worth discounting in some cases or running another incentive to get people to join by DD

David

D

I have done tonight. Im now a BASC'er.

One thing i noticed, was that it quoted me £62 for full membership, but then charged me £64. whats that all about? :lol:

Off course you spend money on the cartridges then the stuff for maintaining the gun. Then the car to go out and hunt you food. all on £45 a week, then after your shooting you then turn to your bills Electric, gas, TV licence, Car tax, petrol, MOT, Phone and internet bills.

Or you can buy a box of .22 subs for 3 quid, thats a potential 50 bunnies, to eat, sell at about 3 quid each or trade for other things. My nearest land is a walk from home, so no expense there, or you could cycle

Right kids your gonna have pigeon for breakfast pigeon for lunch and pigeon for dinner cooked outside on the fire cause we aint got no gas.

I have deliberately said all through this thread all kinds of game, just because you only shoot 12 bore at pigeons doesn't mean we all do

Its cheaper if you go to the supermarket and buy the markets brands.

Thats nonsense, and it certainly wont be as healthy and you tell me your kids come first?

[

it is a nice gesture. but is this a temp measure or is it permanent?

still dont see the point, you could be unemployed one week and claim the discount then the next week you can be back in work. You dont need to join any organisation though, only as previously said if you want to join a club. So why bother.

I believe the new category will remain in play for a year and like all other membership categories will be reviewed on a yearly basis.

I take your point about the potential transient nature of unemployment - BUT in the current climate I think anyone who is put out of a job this week will be very lucky indeed to be back in work next week.

By similar token a guy that has joined or renewed at the normal rate who later in the year is put out of work will not be able to claim a rebate in retrospect.

David

kk I challenge you to only spend £45 in a week and thats to provide food and pay your bills and keep your car on the road. see how much change you get from that

it is a nice gesture. but is this a temp measure or is it permanent?

still dont see the point, you could be unemployed one week and claim the discount then the next week you can be back in work. You dont need to join any organisation though, only as previously said if you want to join a club. So why bother.

So what do you do for your public liabilty insurance when shooting, or can't you see the point of that either?

kk I challenge you to only spend £45 in a week and thats to provide food and pay your bills and keep your car on the road. see how much change you get from that

Thats' because you are staying in the same frame of mind and will not see an alternative. The food you provide could have been hunted by you, and your surplus traded with farmers/allotment holders for vegetables. Like I said, one box of 50 22rf subs is a possible 50 bunnies, at 3 quid apiece if you sell them, that buys some more food, or goes towards your car. You don't even have to have a car, you can walk or cycle to the land, ANd my kids regularly eat, rabbit, hare, venison, pigeon, a varied diet and far better for them than supermarket fare, which is the cheapest, produced cheapest, full of additives and chemicals sold like a cash and carry and at retail prices. Still the choice is yours, if you don't want to do that, then do things your way, and if you're out of work, there's always Jeremy Kyle and the other daytime pap

So what do you do for your public liabilty insurance when shooting, or can't you see the point of that either?

So you have to have insurance to go shooting is it the law to have insurance?

how many people you know have made a claim?

And what about the people who aint got permission or have not got there permission in walking distance? And the more people that go out hunting and trading in the rabbits etc the prices will go down and you get naff all.

So you have to have insurance to go shooting is it the law to have insurance?

how many people you know have made a claim?

And what about the people who aint got permission or have not got there permission in walking distance? And the more people that go out hunting and trading in the rabbits etc the prices will go down and you get naff all.

No its not the law, just foolhardy to not have insurance, how many people? Not the point when the claim comes, which fate has a habit of kicking you when your down, it will break you, then see how you get by with a big lawsuit hanging over you.

SO what's up with cycling to your permission, if you have no work, you have plenty time. And more people have yet to hunt and trade rabbits so as they say in the country make hay while the sun shines, or you can sit indoors and feel sorry for yourelf and wait for someone to give you a job because of your positive attitude