Obtaining sgc would i struggle?

pennywise

I have wanted to get back into clay shooting for a while now after a good few years off it, but my girfriend is quite adamant that she does nt want me too keep a shotgun in the house because she`d be worried all the time about the children. I think its more psycological than anything else! anyway , can i obtain my sgc if the gun is kept somewhere else, say at my parents or the local shooting club? :angry:

thats a tough one with the misses mate, but i'm sure if nobody has access to the keys only you it could be kept elsewhere, not sure of any conditions that would prevent you keeping them at your parents house.

Obviously FAO would have to check cabinet ect. at your parents house

I may be wrong but if you have the keys then it can't be accessed by anybody else

Edited by evilstoat

I have wanted to get back into clay shooting for a while now after a good few years off it, but my girfriend is quite adamant that she does nt want me too keep a shotgun in the house because she`d be worried all the time about the children. I think its more psycological than anything else! anyway , can i obtain my sgc if the gun is kept somewhere else, say at my parents or the local shooting club? :angry:

Ring Derby Police Firearms and ask them, they dont bite mate, They are a fine bunch of lads n lasseys

WB

my other half didn't want a gun in the house either but eventually came round, could you not reach a compromise by not keeping any cartridges in the house, buy them from the shooting ground as you need them?

If she won't stop getting all knicker-twisty then I think this is the best advice here - aint no-one getting shot with no ammo!

Once she calms to having a gun in the house, tell her how much it costs to keep buying ammo at the ground and she'll be chewing your arm off to buy in bulk :angry:

Many moons ago when i first started thinking of getting my SGC i purchased a shotgun from Greenfields in Kent along with 500 cartridges, i had also joined as a member, they were glad to hold the gun in their armoury and hold the carts for me and i just popped along asked for my gun and carts and off i went shooting clays, it`s in their best interest to hold it all for you mainly due to the fact if you have no cert the only place that gun and ammo can be used is with them, guaranteed income.

A lot of people (men included) are frightened of guns because all they see is the negativity in the media.

Take her with you to the club, let her chat to people and have a chance to see that guns don't kill people. She may even see young lads and lasses there having a go and realise that teaching good gun discipline and all it entails, is better than a broad 'guns are bad' brushstroke.

You may even get her hooked and then your only worry is going to be when she starts beating your scores.

Rhiannon

well I hope you tell your missus to hide all the kitchen knives, any cleaning chemicals, put the rubber bungs in the wall sockets, hide any matches/ lighters etc in the house, remove step ladders and ways of climbing on things (tables, chairs, steps) keep the shed locked and then politely remind her how many children are killed and injured by normal household items compared to those killed by shotguns which are locked in cabinets.

because I bet its about 1,000,000 : 0

My mum suffered this craziness when i was about 15 - she found out I had a BB Gun and went mental. until my dad talked her down and allowed me to show her that it could be used sensibly and in a safe manor (small shooting range in the garage) and after that she was fine.

she likes the fact that I shoot now, and takes a good interest in how I am getting on

:good:

have you tried to break her in gently? my ex was dead against guns (she saw her teacher being shot when she was 4), so i broke her in gently to the idea, a few months after i moved in i brought my old bb pistol over from my mums house, just to plink a few targets, few months after that it was my bday (and she hadnt bought me anything) so we were out shopping and i got her to buy me a gas powered air pistol; few months after that i bought a couple of cheap bb rifles, and kept mentioning how id got into shooting in the cadets, didnt want to lose it as part of my life, this was the only way i could keep doing it, etc etc... :good:

it probably would have taken another year or so to get a shotgun at that rate but i had a stroke of luck; her sister and her bf arrived at the house one day with an air rifle when i wasnt there (he was a right ****); when i found out i went beserk, going on about how she wouldnt let me have a proper gun, even though id been trained to use them safely, but she'd let those ****ers out shooting around the house, even though he wasnt the type of guy youd trust in the house on his own (never mind the fact he probably didnt have a licence for the gun). i played the part of being shocked and hurt very nicely, so much so that 3 days later she stopped outside the police station after she picked me up from work and told me to go in and get a gun licence application form... :oops:

My aunt keeps her shotgun at the local clay ground. She rents a flat, so obviously the owners don't want a cabinet drilled into the place.

You can have the cabinet fitted into the loft, if you've got one. It'll be more secure and I'm sure your missus will be happier if it's right out of sight. Don't forget you can also get trigger locks, so the trigger can't even be accessed. I'm sure if you tell her how secure the gun can be, she'll understand.

My mrs was the same when i first met her. I wasn't allowed the Air Rifle so I used leave it at the folks and nip over there and shoot with my brothers. I had been saying for a long time that I wanted a shotgun she was dead against it until chatting to the landlord and lady at our local and finding that they both shoot, she decided we had to go to our local club, She was so scared the first time she shot it, that in the end i said sod the clay, just point it down the line and pull the trigger (her stance was good, the borrowed gun fit was good a nice 20bore) almost in tears she pulled the trigger. "oh, is that all" now she shoots with me using a 12bore.

Gun Cabinet is in the attic. Ammo locked elsewhere.

Now she wants to get a SGC so she can have a semi.

"i gave up shooting when i met my misses , usual " i don,t like guns !!" sly.gif so YOU,RE not having any evilmad.gif , "

I will never give up my guns for anyone, spouses and family included. As I am against dictators telling governments and countries how they should be run I am also against a term which I call "personal dictatorships" where your living cohabitanta tell you what you should and what you shouldn't be doing. Screw that man I do what I want since I am a free man and nobody owns me!

"Many moons ago when i first started thinking of getting my SGC i purchased a shotgun from Greenfields in Kent along with 500 cartridges, i had also joined as a member, they were glad to hold the gun in their armoury and hold the carts for me and i just popped along asked for my gun and carts and off i went shooting clays, it`s in their best interest to hold it all for you mainly due to the fact if you have no cert the only place that gun and ammo can be used is with them, guaranteed income."

Yeah they still hate people getting guns and storing in their own houses as I discovered when buying my guns, since they would make less money out of hiring guns and buying ammo. I had a right battel to buy a gun off them and gave up and went somewhere else. Now I take exceeding delight since I m now a member there, strolling in with my gun over my shoulder with a big smile, as if I were to say: You ******** didn't want to sell me gun, well I got one anyway and ammo, so screw your taxes.

my other half didn't want a gun in the house either but eventually came round, could you not reach a compromise by not keeping any cartridges in the house, buy them from the shooting ground as you need them?

its not just that, what if the kid gets hold of the gun and decides to walk down the street with it to show it to there friends? A policeman wont know if its loaded or not.

its not just that, what if the kid gets hold of the gun and decides to walk down the street with it to show it to there friends? A policeman wont know if its loaded or not.

fair comment but then its down to the OP to keep the cabinet keys where no one else can get hold of them. not easily done, the best solution probably is to lock the keys in one of those small electronic safes.