.17HMR Whats your longest Kill ?

Matt Gould

sniperfox

I don't have a 243, and have no experience of shooting one.

I do however have a 17HMR, and am very proficient in the field with it. I know its and my own limitations.

In one of your previous posts you stated that you "aimed at it", with respect with reference to the trajectory data published above, it is clear the bullet would be in the ground well before 300 yards was attained. At that distance you would have to elevate your aim feet above the target. You may call it lucky, I would call it irresponsible. Others have made their feelings quite clear.

webber

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sniperfox36, you are either retarded or a deluded liar. There is nothing heroic or ethical about taking a 306-yard shot on live quarry with a .17 HMR.

My longest kill was 139 yards. Everything over that, in my humble view, is in .20/.22 CF territory.

good to see Baldrick beating about the bush again :lol:

I think a 300 yard shot is do-able with an hmr but it would have to be on a flat calm day with no wind at all because wind drift with that calibre would be massive over that distance and if you did hit a rabbit sized target at that range i would say luck had a lot to do with it.

our paths will cross one day i will make sure of that :lol:

Isn't someone a real toughie :hmm: grow up mate thats gota be one of the stupidest comments on here! Like to see what your FEO would say about that! :ermm:

I would say if a man has got the Ba**s to call another man retarded or a liar to his face… brave man.

But if he ain’t don’t do it from behind a keyboard, coz that ain’t brave.

If the man has made a shot of 300yds…nice shot mate.

Don't stir up the **** :good: lol!

Isn't someone a real toughie :ermm: grow up mate thats gota be one of the stupidest comments on here! Like to see what your FEO would say about that! :good:

Don't stir up the **** :lol: lol!

i wondererd how long it would take bigthug too jump on this boat im quite well in with my feo so he would not say **** about it its the people on here that make insults too others that need too grow up

our paths will cross one day i will make sure of that :lol:

I am absolutely terrified. And thank you for the charming PM. I'll retract the 'liar' comment. However, I'll maintain my original stance on your mental capacity.

It's not a question of me being a keyboard hero. I'm not. What I am is a capable and experienced marksman both civilian and military, who sticks by a code of ethics. I appreciate my own limitations and those of the guns I use. I know that the .17HMR can shoot to 300 yards, however the odds are firmly stacked against you. I personally would not choose to take a judged or speculative shot at live quarry, at that range, with that round.

I think that's a fairly rationale standpoint.

Personally the longest is 240 yards, and before the holier than holy brigade jump it was on a cover crop that had been freshly drilled with no where else to sit and we knew where they were coming out from and practiced the distance first. Its perfectly doable if its still, personally its probably the same level of complication to shooting a 100 yard rabbit with a .22lr or a 40 yard one with an air gun. The round has plenty of oomph at that range to do the job and once again its vermin control we're doing not leisure shooting. As for the 300 yard shot I've no problem with it and there is an element of wanting to push your own boundaries and lets face it if you know the range and your kit you'll know if you can do it. Ok you could just sit shooting rabbits at 40 yards and never miss one but its not particularly sporting.

For all those worried about injuring well its a chance you take every time you pick up a 12 bore and I'd say a hit with an HMR even in the wrong place with a rabbit is more likely to result in a picked animal than a pigeon winged with a 12 bore. You take chances every time you go out and I'm yet to see anyone who only shoots pigeons close rather than have a go even at the limits of range. Somehow thats acceptable but stretching your HMR isn't

i wondererd how long it would take bigthug too jump on this boat im quite well in with my feo so he would not say **** about it its the people on here that make insults too others that need too grow up

Wow do I have a reputation or something ? :lol: (Bout time I been here for ages) :ermm: Mate your the one making stupid lil threats about how your going to make sure your path's cross. I don't care if your having an affair with your FEO im sure if he found out you were making threats you would atleast get a warning :good:

Think everyone needs to relax. If you made that shot then good on ya, sounds like a brilliant shot :lol: Although taking a shot at something that far away with the attitude of "I'll jus have a crack at it" doesn't show much respect for the quarry :hmm:

I worry about this and we have had it before, IMHO if you cant get within a sensible range by that I mean 150 or preferably less 75-100 is ideal with the 17 HMR you either lack field craft or respect for the Quarry. I can get to 100 on my Quad and that’s ideal so why the need to shoot at 300? I want a quick clean kill to the head as far as possible to dispatch Rabbits with humane consideration, not to use as target practice to prove my marksmanship. Some chaps really are an excellent shot and when you look at windage and drop at distance I would be happy to paper punch as a confidence booster but not for vermin control.

as an aside for those who think a 300yd shot on a rabbit is unethical, bear in mind that at that range a 17hmr has almost 4x the energy that a non-FAC airgun has at the muzzle...

And at only 50 ft-lbs a gut shot isn't going to have enough grunt behind it to kill it anyway. These ranges are fine with a large rifle where a hit anywhere in the main body mass will turn it inside out, but a HMR will just wound if you get it wrong :lol:

All this talk of comparing a long range rifle shot and pricking it to a shotgun pricking an animal is alot different, if i shoot a pigeon with a shotgun it`s a 40 yard walk to put said animal out of it`s misery, 300 yard shot with a .17 is a 300 yard walk to put an animal out of it`s misery with a potential hit to the leg. I prefer to Zero at 125 yards and stick pretty much to that distance rather than lobbing .17 rounds onto target and not being sure where the round will strike.

as an aside for those who think a 300yd shot on a rabbit is unethical, bear in mind that at that range a 17hmr has almost 4x the energy that a non-FAC airgun has at the muzzle...

I don’t understand the comparison :yes:

the unethical aspect is if you are in a position of being required to kill quarry for any reason be it crop protection or other control measures the overriding consideration should be to undertake the task as cleanly as possible with the minimum risk of unnecessary suffering, that is surely best achieved by maximizing all advantages like keeping the distance between rifle and target to reasonable level, if you start pot shotting at 300 plus with a .17HMR don’t expect anyone to believe you have any ethics other than to demonstrate your own prowess at distance shooting and again IMHO that’s best undertaken paper punching

Absolutely,

I can regurlarly put a 7.62 bullet throught the bull at 1000 yards but would I take a shot at an animal at that range? No is the answer. Now I will not claim to know the energy of a 155gr 7.62mm bullet after 1000 yards but I wouldn't wnat to be hit by it.

That doesn't make it right, just because the bullet has the energy to kill at that distance doesn't mean you should go ahead and do it.