hunt's seam to be ignoring ledgislation??????

pheasent plucker

JUST FOR THE RECORD, I HAVE WORKED ON FARM FOR 15 YEARS,I AM A MEMBER OF SYNDICATE SHOOT,I GO FERRITING WITH MY FARTHER,SHOOT RABBITS WITH MY ANSULTZ .22 RIM FIRE KEEN PIGEON SHOOTER AND MOST SERTAINLY DO NOT BAT FOR THE OTHER SIDE AS INPLIED, MY OPINION IS MY OWN,AND I SAY IT AS I SEE IT WITH MY OWN EYES AND WILL NOT BE BULL S'ED BY ANYONE.BAGGED FOXES BEING RELEASED THOUGHT THE JOB WAS TO CLEAR THEM UP NOT PUT THEM DOWN, OVER THE YEARS I HAVE SEEN IT ALL AND YOU CAN'T TELL ME OTHERWISE, "FACT"

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is it everyone who isn't 100% pro fox hunting with hounds, or who raises questions and comments about the etiquette and behaviour of some hunts, instantly branded an 'anti' or a troll?

Surely it is better to refute arguments, or even agree to disagree, than hurl insults around? Maybe even have a discussion on what can be done when huntsmen act in some of the manners mentioned in this thread?

All of us on here have different standards of what we consider to be acceptable for hunting quarry or vermin.

If local hunts are ignoring legislation, or acting illegally, then it's a serious matter because it gives the antis ammunition to use against the hunting lobby. Knee-jerk reactions are something this Government is very good at so it's in all our interests to act within the law.

Rhiannon

Are the hunts ignoring ledgislation? if they are, something needs to be done about it. Breaking the law in any case in not acceptable. Most of us (as a group) seem to turn a blind eye to it, as we kind of come under the same bracket, but we have to see past that.

Im very against seeing animals put through needless suffering, but as said on here earlier, foxes do get "caught up" in the chase. If hunt members are putting foxes down for the hounds, then thats not right.

The other side to this, is that the anti's and other fine groups such as LACS, RSPCA, PETA..ect..ect.. are not just damaging the livleyhoods of many people, but they are trying to change British historical tradition. I (and the hunt aint my thing) would stand shoulder to shoulder with members of the hunt, as we have to conserve not just our way of life, but our British'ness. :unsure:

Edited by martinmoreton

JUST FOR THE RECORD, I HAVE WORKED ON FARM FOR 15 YEARS,I AM A MEMBER OF SYNDICATE SHOOT,I GO FERRITING WITH MY FARTHER,SHOOT RABBITS WITH MY ANSULTZ .22 RIM FIRE KEEN PIGEON SHOOTER AND MOST SERTAINLY DO NOT BAT FOR THE OTHER SIDE AS INPLIED, MY OPINION IS MY OWN,AND I SAY IT AS I SEE IT WITH MY OWN EYES AND WILL NOT BE BULL S'ED BY ANYONE.BAGGED FOXES BEING RELEASED THOUGHT THE JOB WAS TO CLEAR THEM UP NOT PUT THEM DOWN, OVER THE YEARS I HAVE SEEN IT ALL AND YOU CAN'T TELL ME OTHERWISE, "FACT"

You said the foxes came out of a wood ? Now you saying you seen them being released from a sack.

Your right your opinion is your own, as mine is mine.

In this debate you have suggested hunts are breaking the law,insinuated that pigeon shooters dont abide by the general license.

I too say it as i see it.

Hi all, heres one to get you all going, and i guess will have an opinion on.

The hunt came through our shoot the other week and the man that back fills the earths in came round to do his job the hunt came through flushing foxes and chasing them with intent only calling the dogs off when the fox went into a local village. some one made a segestion "without predjedist" it seams almost is if that earth man just went and relased that fox up in that wood. for one if they were not chasing foxes, shorly the earth man had no need to visit any wood, it wasn't as if he was setting a trail even for the hunt to follow. as when a friend goes out lamping foxes there are always alot shot just prier to a visit from the hunt, as normaly 4 or 5 a month are shot but just before the hunt arrive they seem to be 3 or 4 a night shot, is this just coinsidence or are the hunt paying no attention to the way they are bound by law to act. my biggest consern is they are asking for attention to be focused on our sport once again, which to be quite frank worries me.

If its the hunt that i think it is, I have been told by two farmers where the hunt runs that they thought he was trapping and then releasing for the hunt.

I can only agree with what you are saying pheasant pluckier. I too in the past have seen foxes released by my local hunt , the hunt wandering where ever they want regardless of if they have any right to be there and the hunt showing disregard for other countryside sportsmen ( One local keeper was fuming when I spoke to him during the season as the hunt had drawn through his coverts the day before a shoot was planed scattering the pheasants far and wide despite being told to avoid the area ).

The exemption to allow 2 dogs to flush foxes was intended for keepers who use dogs in their fox control , not to provide a loop hole for hunting to continue. As for it being an accidental when a fox catches a fox , that’s rubbish and anyone with one ounce of sense knows it. If a you take a pack of dogs out that have been trained to hunt foxes in an area where foxes abound it can hardly be called an accident. Its like me letting my dog free in a pheasant covert and being surprised when it pegs a pheasant. Maybe I did not intend it to catch one , but I knew bloody well that there was a very good chance it would and that could hardly be called an accident.

I have little doubt that there good hunts who stick to the law , but the pro hunting lobby on here should take their heads out of the sand and accept that not all hunts are well run. When hunting was legal it was probably the most humane way of killing a fox , it was dead or alive and never wounded , which is something that cannot be said for shooting foxes. However its not the fox hunting that gets me its the attitude of the people in my local hunt who think they own the countryside and to hell with other sportsmen , but as the majority of them are not countrymen , but townies out for a jolly in the countryside , so perhaps that’s not surprising.

This debate surfaced a couple of years ago and there were a number examples of hunts bad behaviour raised by forum members who live in the countryside. Fox hunting was banned several years ago by law and until the law changes the hunts should respect the law. As a wildfowler I was appalled when we lost a number of birds such as curlew , from the quarry list back in the 1980s. Since that time have I accidentally shot a curlew ? The answer to that is NO. As a law binding sportsman I expect hunts to do the same.

Edited by anser2

Hunts releasing animals for sport? thats surley not right! PHEASANT PLUCKER will be releaseing birds to shoot next! Where will it stop?? Grow up and slag each other off down the pub not on a public forum!

the differance is that one is legal the other is not you numpty. So stop trying to turn others wording to suit you own ends. Or are you a member of lacs :yes:

the differance is that one is legal the other is not you numpty. So stop trying to turn others wording to suit you own ends. Or are you a member of lacs :yes:

Er no im not, iv spent all my working life in hunt service, gamekeeping and pest control. Read my post again mate, if I was LACS would I be surgesting stopping squabbleing on a public forum, the LACS who we know read this will be ******* themselves. There are good and bad elements in every aspect of fieldsports but its useless to tar everyone from that sport with the same brush.

Do we openly critise partridge shooting when one keeper is caught releasing partridges on a shoot day?

Do we slag off wildfowlers when some cow boys shoot a swan?

Lets leave that to the media and our legions of bigoted, predudiced enemys who will never be satisfied until we are forced to live by their morals and rules.

The simple answer to you question do we slag off cowboys when they shoot swans , of course we do its the only way to stamp such things out. I seem to remember protests on wildfowling forums and in the sporting press when the swan slaughter took place the year before last. If such things are not stopped wildfowling will be banned.

As for releasing birds on the day of a shoot yes it need to be brought out into the open so the people concerned are shamed.

If we want our sport to survive so our children will still be enjoying it we need to be squeeky clean in the eyes of the public and sweeping the sins of a minority under the carpet will do us no good at all , just store up a boil that sooner or later will burst and bring shooting sports into disrepute. We have to bring our own house into order.

I'll stick my head on the block and say I don't like the hunt....That's right, I DON'T LIKE THEM!

They go rushing around the countryside with little or no respect for anyone apart from their supporters. If a Fox crosses the land of someone who doesn't like the hunt the dogs follow and the hunt go around. I can't see any difference between the hunt and a group of ****** running lurchers illegally. Quite often neither are welcome but they are there anyway. The only visible difference to me is that somewhere in the hunt, there's big lord job nockey, and nobody will want to upset him!

Some of the things that the hunt do aren't acceptable, yet they are accepted. Due again to the posh dude who enjoys it. What if Mr ***** runs his lurchers on lord job nockeys land? His *** wouldn't hit the floor until he was out that's what!

I don't disagrre with hunting and I've been here long enough for people to know I'm not a troll or an anti. I just don't agree with the way a lot of hunts work. I only have experience of three hunts, and all of them do as they please. Nobody says a word as it's been going on that long it's just accepted. If you open your eyes a bit they are bloody rude, plain and simple.

I was once told by a hunt master that he couldn't have full control of his hounds all of the time. Around 50 of them had just charged through a formal garden I was working in and half trashed the place. Then he blew his horn and every dog in sight was around his horse like a shot. I don't fall for the bull. It's clear to see that if he wanted them to stop he could stop them, but that would spoil his day.

With permission the hunt are fine. It's the lack of consideration for people who would rather they stayed away that I don't like. I've had them ruin a days stalking after running into land they've been asked to avoid for exactly that reason. They couldn't give a toss as long as they enjoy their day. The lord of the manor always gets his way

Edited by njc110381

Carry on hunting boys and **** the law. They would have us all stop shooting and hunting. I hunt and shoot because I LOVE It not because I am a vermin controller.

I love watching any dog work and any body shooting for sport.

Olddogfox

and we need permission to shoot on land ... so why do hunts get away with tresspassing ? this is my gripe bout hunts ..

and as for attacking sheep as someone said earlier .... then i would shoot the dog !

The simple answer to you question do we slag off cowboys when they shoot swans , of course we do its the only way to stamp such things out. I seem to remember protests on wildfowling forums and in the sporting press when the swan slaughter took place the year before last. If such things are not stopped wildfowling will be banned.

As for releasing birds on the day of a shoot yes it need to be brought out into the open so the people concerned are shamed.

If we want our sport to survive so our children will still be enjoying it we need to be squeeky clean in the eyes of the public and sweeping the sins of a minority under the carpet will do us no good at all , just store up a boil that sooner or later will burst and bring shooting sports into disrepute. We have to bring our own house into order.

Some people dont read a post before replying to it!

I said do we slag off WILDFOWLING when a cowboy does something wrong! No we criticize the INDIVIDUAL concerned! Most hunts are well run, in all my years hunting and working within hunting I can count on one hand the times we run on to private land and Ive always do my upmost to gather hounds quickly and put things right. It would be impossible to count the number of times iv seen shoots over step the mark with regard to boundaries, does this mean I would criticize game shooting as awhole, NO, if the individuals concerned were caught then they are to blame not the sport. Sorry if individuls have had bad experiences with their local hunt but its not indicative of hunting in general. Remember there are dozens of farmers packs out there and one I hunt with is followed on foot and started and run by keepers and farmers.