12 week GSP dog puppy soiling crate

My GSP is now 10 months old , house training was done in 2 months, got him at 4 months old. The whining thing, the waking up at 5 AM etc is still there dependant on day of week , put him in the kenal outside and your in for a show ...............these are very verbal dogs, must be winable , as I have taught him not to pee in the house etc but how do I teach him to be quiet?

Hello Chaps,

We are making progress too! Not soiled the crate for 4 nights now :blush:

Changing his food over from Beta Puppy to Burns Mini-Bites at the moment. Knocking it up much drier than before which does seem to help.

He is still eating anything and everything whenever he can though.

Sleep is much better - we got 10 hours of peace and quiet on Saturday which stands as our current best. Best part of 9 hours last night too.

He pees in his crate and sometimes on the tiled / laminated floor indoors but thankfully no longer on the carpet.

All his #2's during the day are in the garden.

For about the last 8 nights he's gone straight into his crate after letting him in from the garden for the last time, lays straight down now and makes no fuss whatsoever.

He too is very verbal if left in the garden when he doesn't want to be there! If I was trying to get him to be quiet I'd start with ignoring him for a bit and then very sharply tell him to shut up. If that doesn't work then I guess it depends on the nature of your particular. Mine generally responds much better to physical correction (tugging on the lead when the situation allows or a quick tap on the head / snout) than to verbal attempts - possibly because most verbal corrections are issued remotely when, by defintion, the need to correct arises from his being distracted by something.

Going to need to increase the space we make available to him in the crate soon (only by a small amount) as it's starting to get a bit cramped for him.

In the absence of most distractions he will sit on command (although that has generally been the case since day 1) he walks to heel very well for most of the duration of his walks but seems to lose a little bit of composure towards the end (I suspect he may sense he's close to home). He is always very keen to get through the front door upon our return and the routine is that we take him straight out back to do his thing. He will willingly pee whilst on a walk but does not poo very often.

He is great in the car in his travel crate in the boot. Whining normally means he needs to take a pee on the longer journeys.

In terms of the field, we took the plunge and introduced him very early on to the gun. Completely steady, no fussing at all and will normally sit still when he's behind me with the kids at the clayground. He mouthed and carried a very fresh shot pigeon back to the car on Saturday and released it on the "give" command and when tempted to do so by a small treat. Earlier in the week we walked around one of my permission fields in the dark and he led us straight to the rabbit warrens on numerous occasions. I guess some of this may disturb some folks in that we may be rushing him but I am just going with my intuition at the moment and he's doing really well. I was especially proud of the gentle way he mouthed and carried the pigeon on Saturday (at least whilst it was still warm). When cold he gave me us the distinct impression that he'd be happy to rip it to bits - but to be honest that's what I'd expect and if can continue to make the distinction between warm and cold stuff then I'm happy with that.

The other thing we've been doing is letting him off the lead when it seems OK to do so. Despite distractions he's very conscious of where we are and it seems has not yet developed enough independence to roam out of sight. I appreciate we might be walking a thin line with this one but I'm working on the goal of having the recall routines firmly instilled before he gets his independence and confidence.

He doesn't take any notice of the whistle when off the lead but does recall with his name and / or a recall command (I'm not too happy with the tone of the recall command that seems to get the best result from him so very keen to get it sorted on the whistle)

About all I can think of for now. Please share your experiences and further challenges too.

ATB

Mike

Sam also took straight to retreiving game, of all sorts, dead, wounded didn't matter.He is so big and powerfull now it's unreal, he is giving the GWP's a run for the money, infact out hunted the best one I know in a search for a wounded hare........................all good there, however give him a sniff of Roe and he is off like a shot , verbal and fast!!What he does if he catches up with them or weather he can I don't know as its allways out of sight as both he and they go like the clappers!!Have now decided that teletac is the only answer to try and get him to stop.

Scared the **** out of him early last week by running like mad in the opposite direction to him as he took off , placed myself where I could see him return , and not find me , watched the panic and then watched him work it out and scent me across 300 m of field, he was releived to say the least to find me again, hopefully this will have an impact.

He is now more confident in the kennle , can do a few hours at a time but still needs to be reminded that when in there you must not let the whole neighbourhood know you are, verbal followed by physical reprimand is slowly starting to work , hoping tellytac will help here too.

Apart from that I love him , he loves me and as much as we can be we are together and having fun!!

Typical! So, the last 2 nights he's soiled again.

Half way through the transition from Beta to the Burns.

During the transition we also stopped cutting in some of the moist food so this suggests to me that he's definitely got an issue with the Beta going through him too quick.

Current plan is to get him fully switched over to the Burns, wait a bit and see what happens before thinking about further changes.

We are also reducing the amount we are giving him during the transition stage. Interestingly there is perhaps as much as a 100% difference in the recommended daily feed amount between Beta and Burns.

Even with the Burns philosophy of slighlty lower feed than most brands this is a significant difference. We are very hopeful that the Mini Bites will bring about a positive change.

Thanks

Mike

Hows ya boy going raja.my boy is very good in crate now,only 3 no2's in 3 weeks very happy with his progress has hes only 11 weeks old.The whining has stopped also none for 5 days :sick: Next hurdle has being getting him car trained,he seems to like pooing in his new transit box and whining throughout.Had him out in car last 4 days and the last one he stayed clean and only whinged at first.Took him to clay shoot saturday ,left him in box to build his confidence and he appeared settled.

cheers Wayne

Hi Wayne,

I think it's fair to say that we now have the overnight crate soiling cracked. He's fully transitioned over to Burns now but a little too early to tell if it will improve other things. Would just like to express my thanks to all those that offered advice on this subject. Don't go away as there are plenty of other things that need to be worked on :good:

Our differing experiences seem to show just how different individual dogs within the same breed can be.

It sounds like the whining and soiling whilst in the car could be related and due to anxiety. Can your boy see you whilst in his box? If not and its possible to do so then it might help.

Best wishes

Mike