Do you agree with digging?

sirnovember

Do you agree with digging?  

130 members have voted

1. 1. Do you

• Yes
    • No

I only recently found out what this was, and to be honest, it's hardy the actions of true Sportsmen. What happened to the 'fair chase' and all that? I don't know how anyone can call digging a 'countrysport', or any kind of hunting pastime. I can guess the type of people that take part in it.

Edited by sirnovember

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nowt wrong with digging foxes,just another way of controlling vermin,and no im not one of "those" people .and no i dont part take in digging either,some people just need to let others get on with the things they like and not slagging them off,each to their own i say,aslong as it aint breaking any laws ,carry on. <_<

I only recently found out what this was, and to be honest, it's hardy the actions of true Sportsmen. What happened to the 'fair chase' and all that? I don't know how anyone can call digging a 'countrysport', or any kind of hunting pastime. I can guess the type of people that take part in it.

so what type of people take part then. and its pest control not sport.

terrier work or digging as you put it, is the use of a terrier breed dog below ground with a tracking coller that is used to flush foxes to nets or guns. please be aware this is still legal in engalnd and if it is banned its one less tool for the keepers.

As members of the hunting community, and I use 'hunting' broadest term to include ferreting, deerstalking, coarsing, digging, hunting with hounds, shooting etc... I don't think its in any ones interest to knock any other mans sport.

If you find digging to be cruel than that's your opinion keep it to yourself. If the time ever comes that digging is banned then its only a matter of time that the same people who campaigned to get digging banned will campaign to get shooting banned. Anti's will not be happy until every form of hunting has been banned.

Everyone who participates in country sports must stand united and support each other in times of difficulty if we are to be able to continue with our chosen past time.

I am talking about fox hunting here by the way. The diggers that go out with the hunt, and dig the fox when it goes to ground. That is not a fair chase IMHO.

the votes have gone in now - set up a new poll of you want the true opinion (coz I had no clue that you just meant diggers on the hunt) Not that it would have influenced my vote, but it may other people's!

Boomstick

Edited by Boomstick

Anti hunting groups and new labour especially have tried to drive a wedge between shooters and hunting people.

I agree with free and open discussion but it seems there are some people on here that think their own sport is 'fair' and 'sporting' but sod other peoples. If a fox is killed by hounds then there is a good chance it is old or weak, therefore it is good that it is killed as that represents what happens in nature. If a fox is run to ground and a keeper or farmer insists it is killed then useing terriers is the only way to locate and kill it. Most terrier men are professional in their work tho there are always bad apples in all aspects of our sports.

You say its ok to bolt foxes to a gun but not to dig down, what happends if the fox dosnt bolt??

Iv seen more foxes wounded by shotguns then iv ever seen suffer unnesserserly by terrier work.

If you dont agree with it fair enough but remember the people who campain against it will never be apesed until all fieldsports are banned.

Is it a sport? Well iv just spent a morning hunting foxes with terriers in a big rock pile and I believe it was more sporting than putting a fox in a cross hairs and pulling a trigger. But thats just my opinion, you have your own, maybe you would do well not to voice them until they are backed up by some sort of experience.

Anti hunting groups and new labour especially have tried to drive a wedge between shooters and hunting people.

I agree with free and open discussion but it seems there are some people on here that think their own sport is 'fair' and 'sporting' but sod other peoples. If a fox is killed by hounds then there is a good chance it is old or weak, therefore it is good that it is killed as that represents what happens in nature. If a fox is run to ground and a keeper or farmer insists it is killed then useing terriers is the only way to locate and kill it. Most terrier men are professional in their work tho there are always bad apples in all aspects of our sports.

You say its ok to bolt foxes to a gun but not to dig down, what happends if the fox dosnt bolt??

Iv seen more foxes wounded by shotguns then iv ever seen suffer unnesserserly by terrier work.

If you dont agree with it fair enough but remember the people who campain against it will never be apesed until all fieldsports are banned.

Is it a sport? Well iv just spent a morning hunting foxes with terriers in a big rock pile and I believe it was more sporting than putting a fox in a cross hairs and pulling a trigger. But thats just my opinion, you have your own, maybe you would do well not to voice them until they are backed up by some sort of experience.

Fair point.

I am talking about fox hunting here by the way. The diggers that go out with the hunt, and dig the fox when it goes to ground. That is not a fair chase IMHO.

number one its not a sport its a job that needs doing ( pest control )

Number two what would you see as fair then <_<?

jesus what is it with people? we are all taking part in "actions" (I wont call it sport) to control vermin of different kinds in different ways. do we really need to be stabbing each other in the back over the methods used? looks great to those on the outside, looking at everyone who is taking part in "barbaric sports" slagging off everyone else's "barbaric sports".

hunting with hounds, bow hunting, digging - - - what next? we gonna start slagging airguns, or maybe people who shoot with .410? people are controlling pests, there are good and bad people in all of those but I dont think we need to keep putting posts up on here slagging off each others methods.

within the law? let em get on with it.

I only recently found out what this was, and to be honest, it's hardy the actions of true Sportsmen.

I can guess the type of people that take part in it.

you may be better sticking to your paint by numbers hobby.

<_< Try as I may ...I cant get through the Orkney rock !..And anyway we have no FOX and BADGERS here..rabbit and hares galore but we shoot like gentlemen ...not dig. A.J.

That quote 'we are Sportsmen, not Butchers!!' comes to mind. I think there are two groups TBH:

a) sportsmen :lol: pest controllers

Each to there own I guess :lol:

I only found out what it was after being directed to this article via 'lawyer geek' *************************

EDIT NOTE: Don't post links to Anti sites on this Forum.

Edited by Cranfield

From a hunting perspective i dont think it is very sporting digging them, if they have managed to evade the hounds then fair play to them, try pick up another scent. But from a pest control point of view its obvious that the more foxes dead the better. In my opinion there are more efficient forms of fox control i.e lamping, snaring and trapping but i still like to follow our local hunt as its more of a social occasion than anything and it would be a shame to see it gone. each to there own i say, if i saw some1 digging them i wouldnt be fussed but personally wouldnt do it myself.