130 members have voted

1. 1. Do you

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I shoot for sport. Pest control is not one of my hobbies, so what. Experience the countryside? I have lived in the countryside my whole life! My dad is a bloody vet, so I spend most of my time out and about in fields.

My dad is a pilot, I dont spend much time in the air ! :hmm:

I have never dug in my life (never even shot a fox) I shoot pigeon & rabbit as often as possible, now an again bit of game.

Bottom line is - if its vermin then kill it if you want. BUT do it as humanly as possible.

As members of the hunting community, and I use 'hunting' broadest term to include ferreting, deerstalking, coarsing, digging, hunting with hounds, shooting etc... I don't think its in any ones interest to knock any other mans sport.

If you find digging to be cruel than that's your opinion keep it to yourself. If the time ever comes that digging is banned then its only a matter of time that the same people who campaigned to get digging banned will campaign to get shooting banned. Anti's will not be happy until every form of hunting has been banned.

Everyone who participates in country sports must stand united and support each other in times of difficulty if we are to be able to continue with our chosen past time.

Absolutely totally agre well put sir

A compelling and well presented arguement. I suppose I naively thought it was just a escapade for badger baiters.

SN

Thank you for your kind comments.

Terrier Work is an old and established Country Sport, unlike the morons who dig to badgers and then set their dogs on them. They are not and will never will be part of the terrier world, they are criminals who do it for the pleasure of seeing their dogs slowly rip apart an animal. They care not for the quarry and certainly not for their dogs

In countries such as Sweden they have official working trials for their terriers, and you cant work your dog until it has gained a working certificate. Part of the assessment is with a mock earth with a fox or badger (legal in Sweden) caged located within it, and they then set the dog down to locate it. If the dog when he finds the animal tries to lunge in and attack, it will immediately fail and not get a certificate.

They are not bred to attack and that is not their job, their job is to stand back and harass the fox.

Yes, the dogs will take a smack every now and again from Charlie, as I say it's part and parcel of the job they do, but anything excessive as far as I'm concerned is totally unacceptable and if a dog is too hard it shouldn't be worked to fox.

This is also on the National Working Terrier Federation Code of Conduct.

Cheers

A compelling and well presented arguement. I suppose I naively thought it was just a escapade for badger baiters.

SN

That sir , makes you a berk then does'nt it .

If you want i'll give you my phone number and we can have a talk . even better when you manage to get on your moped all the way to Yorkshire we can discuss it over a pint .

all the best yis yp :rolleyes:

definition of sport-"an activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature" now correct me if i am wrong but alot of skill is needed in digging, knowledge of our terrier, your quarry, your equipment ect, physical prowess definatly, especially if your in the large woods around lancashire, on mossy ground where your digging through roots as big as your arm, or up in the fells among the rock borrans, or finding out your terrier is 10 feet under ground-under a pile of bog oaks!!! as for the competetive side working terrier shows are popular, were terriers are marked and graded ect. if digging is not a sport, then what is it? i find it, apart from wildfowling, the best counrty sport of them all. no were else have i seen men so passionate about what they are doing, the respect they have for the fox, although they aim to kill it in the end, is high. there knowledge of the counrtyside they pursuit there sport is second to non. they know every earth, the ditch, every sea wall, every wood- the likest place for a litter of cubs to appear, were to stay clear and were to keep an eye on. do not get me wrong im sure the deerstalker, the pigeon shooter, the lamper, the lurcher man, the wildfowler and game shot and many more have the same passion and knowledge as the terrierman. this is why comments like "theses kind of people" and "its no sport" ect shouldnt be used- terriermen our on the shooters side, so shooter shoud be on there side-not started a poll on a shooting website asking if fellow countrymen agree with it!!!!

I agree with a lot of posts here, and i certainly think a poll on whether or not you agree with digging is a bit rich coming from someone who 'googled' it to find out what it was!!

After hunting on foot around North Wales you pretty much expect the fox to go to ground, then terriers bolt it to hounds. During lambing time however when the fox hunting season is largely closed, if there is a vixen and cubs in a soil earth or den, what was wrong with using terriers to locate the fox, dig down and dispatch it with a pistol? Saved having hounds disturbing the lambing field, saves having people lamping and disturbing the ewes anyhow unfortunately most of that is banned now and doesnt still go on.... :good:, but as far as i know you can still do it to protect game birds (every sheep farmer should keep half a dozen pheasants! nice gaping loop hole there).

Lets start a poll asking whether people agree with killing foxes on arable land, beef and dairy farms, or store lamb finishing farms where they are not threatning anything? no actually lets not try and stir things and give anti's more ammo!

I say get out there mate, ask someone on here if you could join them on a dig rather than googling random things, then by all means do a poll!

Cheers

PS, whats your dad being a vet got to do with anything?!

I agree with a lot of posts here, and i certainly think a poll on whether or not you agree with digging is a bit rich coming from someone who 'googled' it to find out what it was!!

After hunting on foot around North Wales you pretty much expect the fox to go to ground, then terriers bolt it to hounds. During lambing time however when the fox hunting season is largely closed, if there is a vixen and cubs in a soil earth or den, what was wrong with using terriers to locate the fox, dig down and dispatch it with a pistol? Saved having hounds disturbing the lambing field, saves having people lamping and disturbing the ewes anyhow unfortunately most of that is banned now and doesnt still go on.... :good:, but as far as i know you can still do it to protect game birds (every sheep farmer should keep half a dozen pheasants! nice gaping loop hole there).

Lets start a poll asking whether people agree with killing foxes on arable land, beef and dairy farms, or store lamb finishing farms where they are not threatning anything? no actually lets not try and stir things and give anti's more ammo!

I say get out there mate, ask someone on here if you could join them on a dig rather than googling random things, then by all means do a poll!

Cheers

Well said that man :yp:

Cheers

Well said :yp:

The poll was started by "my dad's a vet" just to stir things up a bit even though he doesn't even know what it's about he says it's wrong and is carried out by a "certain sort of people".Then he says he thought digging foxes was an excuse for badger baiting.

The kid is 19 year old and is an authority on "ALL" fieldsports yet he questions most of them,when he has not even done any of them.I think he is a troll at best, or a spoilt little kid who thinks he knows it all, at worst

PS.Did you know his dad,s a vet :lol::lol:

Well said :good:

The poll was started by "my dad's a vet" just to stir things up a bit even though he doesn't even know what it's about he says it's wrong and is carried out by a "certain sort of people".Then he says he thought digging foxes was an excuse for badger baiting.

The kid is 19 year old and is an authority on "ALL" fieldsports yet he questions most of them,when he has not even done any of them.I think he is a troll at best, or a spoilt little kid who thinks he knows it all, at worst

PS.Did you know his dad,s a vet :yp: :lol:

haha mate, i dont see anything wrong with asking people what something is, or even asking if he can go along with someone to try it because if he is a field sport kinda lad then he might enjoy it. I have tried a lot of different field sports but am also only 20, i am just expecting a sgc and fac any day (They say its printed but arnt sure if theyve sent it!) and i may well ask if there is anyone on here who wouldnt mind joining me to give me a few tips on something that is new.

The poll is a bit cocky, i havent really seen his other threads so cant judge, possibly a bit spoilt or feels authority from having a dad whos a vet...my dad has a doctorate in animal behaviour it would be a bit pathetic to think that could back up my view on anything!

P.S do you think hes an actual vet or a vet nurse that feeds the companion animals in their cages?! :lol::lol:

i only got to page 2 on this argument so forgive me if someone has already made this point but can someone please explain to me the difference between putting a ferret down a hole to flush a rabbit to be dispatched and putting a terrier down a hole to flush a fox i might be going mad here but isn't it the same i think what some people have in there head is the image of someone digging out a fox or badger and then bludgeoning it to death to feed some sort of lust for blood but to use a terrier to flush out or dig out a fox to be humanely dispatched is totally different. Were all the same here whether we shoot our quarry use hawks dogs or ferrets we all do it for the purpose of pest control but also we enjoy it

Jonnybgood

Well said, Sir, and thank you for your support for the Working Terrier and Terrierman.

I think it fair to say that the greater majority of people who do Terrier work also shoot, as having a SGC is part and parcel of the sport. However, I know for a fact that the Terrier World felt rather let down by the lack of support we received from the shooting community when it came to a ban on Hunting with Dogs, and many felt the support was nowhere near as vocal it should have been.

Terrier work has been proved to be the most efficient and effective way of dealing with foxes. I understand it is not some folks cup of tea, but facts are facts . When it boils down ALL country sports folk should stick together as one, and certainly not be elitist like many in the shooting world are. An attack on one should be treated as an attack on all, and the response from all sides should be united in support.

I enjoy shooting, but I don't particularly enjoy organised shoots where hundreds of birds are dispatched in a morning, I much prefer the ambience and sport of a rough shoot, and what I bag that is edible goes in my pot. That is my opinion only, yet I would work just as hard to support shooting, as I have done in the past lobbying MP's and Parliament for Terrierwork during the build up to the Hunting Ban.

Cheers

digging a proper efficeint way to control foxes either that or a 1st cross bull greyhound on the lamp theres no running off with backside full off lead .i bolted a fox from a pipe back legs shot off from the hock down that happened 3 days previous as the farmer told us he'd shot at one in the yard hit it hard but got away in the rubbish in the yard .

digging is real hard work and not something u take up lightly u get ground that is hard going it can be that you are swetting ur bits off on a cold day so i do it more to help a farmer out that unfortunatly as a fox taking lambs every night but is lamp shy o by the way these antis forgot to tell the fox hunting is banned