130 members have voted

1. 1. Do you

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we have to remember that diggers have a job to do. For them, this is what puts food on the table, and not a sport. <_<

Its not to everybodys taste (me being one of them), but it is part of the outdoor life that we have to accpept.

the digging out website as above is an anti website who are also against shooting coursing hunting ferreting fishing and everything else in between people in the countryside need to stick together

as an ex terrierman for a hunt it was pest controll but i enjoyed working my terriers the same way as people enjoy working there lurchers and ferrets there is no difference.

pigeon shooting is pest controll at the end of the day so is it wrong to shoot pigeons for sport no of course its not.

there is nothing worse than people who do one country sport whilst having a pop at the other sports people seem to think that shooting is safe when its not shooting is the next thing on the antis list then fishing and ferreting we all need to pull together to keep the sports we love :lol:<_<

and before anyone has a go i shoot/hunt/fish/ferret/course and work my falcon :lol:

LONG LIVE HUNTING **** THE BAN

Digging foxes from their dens I belive. Search it on google if you wan't more information. I didn't even know what it was untill today.

So, you have not done it, seen it, don't really know what its about, or why its done, but you are against it and the people that do it ? <_<

I only recently found out what this was, and to be honest, it's hardy the actions of true Sportsmen. What happened to the 'fair chase' and all that? I don't know how anyone can call digging a 'countrysport', or any kind of hunting pastime. I can guess the type of people that take part in it.

I presume you think anyone who lamps foxes by night are also non sporting, anyone who digs a ferreted rabbit or fenn trapping rats, no chase involved there.

If you are not a troll you are doing a fair impression of one, sunshine

The extent of your knowledge on the matter is what? Reading a solitary article on a dubious website, you'll make an excellent lawyer.

TP

I regularly dig to terriers for fox and it's a guaranteed way to make sure that problem foxes are dealt with. I've found all sorts outside there sets fawns, swans, geese, lambs as well as the usual rabbits, etc. Although i've only been out with the hunt a few times

As a sheep farmer if i have a problem fox that needs dealing with i really don't mind how it is done as long as the fox has as swift a departure as possible. The amount of lambs i have lost through foxes over the years you wouldn't believe. One year we had a vixen which couldn't seem to catch them well enough to hold onto and we had dozens of injured lambs until we managed to catch it in the act and shoot it. BTW havn't had to dig a fox yet but if needed i would most definitely.

theres nowt wrong with digging to terriers i do it week in week out and enjoy every min of it thats what terriers are bred for they enjoy it to beleive you me aslong as you stick to the right rules and regulations lol go for it its like shooting theres alot of people i know thinks its cruel but in my eyes each to their own ps if youve never tried it youll never know <_<

I presume you think anyone who lamps foxes by night are also non sporting, anyone who digs a ferreted rabbit or fenn trapping rats, no chase involved there.

If you are not a troll you are doing a fair impression of one, sunshine

The extent of your knowledge on the matter is what? Reading a solitary article on a dubious website, you'll make an excellent lawyer.

TP

I've shot plenty of foxes at night. I wouldn't dig to one though.

I have my opinion, and you have yours.

I've shot plenty of foxes at night. I wouldn't dig to one though.

I have my opinion, and you have yours.

Yes,and you are making an opinion on someting you know nothing about !!

You have also made an opinion on the type of people that do this thing you know nothing about ?

So next time you want to condem something,it may help if you know something about which you condem !

what part of the fluffy countryside do you live in?

Obviously you shoot only as a hobby and not to control pests, digging is done by hunts because they are there to control foxes. You don't get it publicised much but the digging I'm guessing probably accounts for more foxes than the hounds but that is what they are out there for. Fox control not fox chasing,

Possibly you need to get out and experience a bit of the countryside or go back to the peta or RSPCA or greenpeace website whichever you came from.

I only recently found out what this was, and to be honest, it's hardy the actions of true Sportsmen. What happened to the 'fair chase' and all that? I don't know how anyone can call digging a 'countrysport', or any kind of hunting pastime. I can guess the type of people that take part in it.

Maybe you could explain to the forum why a fair majority of you posts relate to what you would consider unsporting pastimes?

Are you gathering information for something :yes:

what part of the fluffy countryside do you live in?

Obviously you shoot only as a hobby and not to control pests, digging is done by hunts because they are there to control foxes. You don't get it publicised much but the digging I'm guessing probably accounts for more foxes than the hounds but that is what they are out there for. Fox control not fox chasing,

Possibly you need to get out and experience a bit of the countryside or go back to the peta or RSPCA or greenpeace website whichever you came from.

:yes: The vast majority of foxes killed by the hunt were/are shot after digging to them and very few are caught on the run so to speak.

don't take this the wrong way BB but it sort of gives the idea of the hunt killing the sick and injured foxes a bit of a side swipe, however does give them a bit more credibility as a form of pest control

I didnt take it the wrong way and i thought someone may say that.In my experience,(and i would say that is more than most on here as an ex terrier man for a hunt)A fit and healthy fox will run, the last place he will go, is to ground.He will go to ground but only as a last resort.A fox that is old, weak or injured will immediately look for cover and somewhere to go to ground.If you run a fox for 5 mile and he goes to ground,the chances are he will be a fit healthy fox.If you run one for 3 fields and he goes to ground the chances are he will be in some way inferior due to the things listed before,so even in the decision to dig or not you can still be selective.

The foxes are dug to, then shot and then sometimes thrown to the hounds dead,especially if there is young hounds running that day,as a reward and to bring them on.