Do you agree with digging?

sirnovember

Do you agree with digging?  

130 members have voted

1. 1. Do you

• Yes
    • No

what part of the fluffy countryside do you live in?

Obviously you shoot only as a hobby and not to control pests, digging is done by hunts because they are there to control foxes. You don't get it publicised much but the digging I'm guessing probably accounts for more foxes than the hounds but that is what they are out there for. Fox control not fox chasing,

Possibly you need to get out and experience a bit of the countryside or go back to the peta or RSPCA or greenpeace website whichever you came from.

Yes I shoot for sport. Pest control is not one of my hobbies, so what. Experience the countryside? I have lived in the countryside my whole life! My dad is a bloody vet, so I spend most of my time out and about in fields.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

digging out charlie is a no no in my book :yes:

See, some people have different opinions to others. Just because I only shoot game, and I'm only really intrested in game shooting, it does not mean I'm less of a country person thatn anyone else.

I know a farmer who doesnt agree with hunting or shooting. Does this mean he is a member of PETA or the RSPCA?

See, some people have different opinions to others. Just because I only shoot game, and I'm only really intrested in game shooting, it does not mean I'm less of a country person thatn anyone else.

I know a farmer who doesnt agree with hunting or shooting. Does this mean he is a member of PETA or the RSPCA?

Yea well you didnt do yourself any favours by saying"you can imagine the type of people that do it"

So dont go crying to daddy when you get a bit of flak !

Yea well you didnt do yourself any favours by saying"you can imagine the type of people that do it"

So dont go crying to daddy when you get a bit of flak !

jeez were having plenty of arguments here lately! im staying out of this one, but surely everyones entitled to their own opinons without being jumped on? :good:

AND that applies to both parts of that quote!!!

yeah a 306 yard shot with my .17 on a bunny and 576 yard shot with my .243 giggle away boys at least i can do it :good:

Oh my god he gets worse.

If you took a 576yard shot at anything other than a piece of paper you should have your guns cut up. What would have happened if you had wounded it and it had run off? Or don't you care about that?

As a person who keeps and breeds Working Terriers, and the current regional chair of a National Terrier Club, I believe I am fully qualified to talk about this subject, especially seeing as I last dug one of my Terrier's not three weeks ago.

During the Burns Inquiry, commissioned by the Government on Hunting with Dogs, they came to the conclusion that Terrier work was the most humane and efficient method of killing a Fox over all other methods.

Yet despite all the evidence, the Government still banned Hunting with Dogs.

You may still enter your terriers to an earth, but only for the protection of game birds and not livestock

Scottish Parliament (Rural Affairs Committee Official Report 78):

“The use of terriers in pest control work is necessary as there appear to be few practical alternatives†and “the use of terriers underground to dispatch orphaned cubs which appears to the Committee to be the only practical alternative, and more humane than leaving them to starve.â€

Lord Burns (Head of the Government Inquiry into Hunting with Dogs - commenting on licensing):

"We consider that it might be productive, in the absence of a ban (on hunting with dogs), to explore the possibility of introducing some form of licensing system, possibly on the lines of those which exist to regulate hunting in some other countries". And "In the case of terrier work, another requirement might be membership of the National Working Terrier Federation and adherence to its code of conduct".

The job of a terrier, fixed with a location collar, is to enter the earth and locate the fox below ground. Once found the dog's job is to bay at the Fox and harass it, causing the fox to bolt the earth where it is netted and immediately shot. The dog should not attack and fight with the fox, it should stand back and bark, constantly.

If the Fox doesn't bolt, due to it being cornered in a dead end tube of the earth or chamber, the Terrierman will then dig to to his dog using the location collar signal. Once he has broken through to the tube he then pulls out his dog, and at the same time he uses his spade to block the tube, the fox is then dispatched by shooting asap.

Some working terriers you see are smashed up around face, and any dog that does this job will inevitably take a few hits eventually from Charlie and have the odd scar, it is part and parcel of their job. However, if a dog goes in every time with the intention of fighting the fox or mixes with it too much, then this dog shouldn't be used for such work as it is too hard. It is certainly not doing it's job properly and for what it was bred for, therefore it is cruel to continue using a dog like this, both for the dog and for the fox.

The National Working Terrier Federation website will tell you everything you wanted to know about Terrierwork and the use of terriers below ground.

http://www.terrierwork.com/index.htm

This is not just some hobby, or badger digging escapade, this is a serious job where your dog enters an earth and puts it's life on the line everytime. The UK has produced some of the finest working dogs and Terriermen who are respected throughout the world. Indeed, much of the working stock overseas come from UK bred terriers, as our breeding and the type of work our dogs do is considered the best in the world.

Cheers

As a person who keeps and breeds Working Terriers, and the current regional chair of a National Terrier Club, I believe I am fully qualified to talk about this subject, especially seeing as I last dug one of my Terrier's not three weeks ago.

During the Burns Inquiry, commissioned by the Government on Hunting with Dogs, they came to the conclusion that Terrier work was the most humane and efficient method of killing a Fox over all other methods.

Yet despite all the evidence, the Government still banned Hunting with Dogs.

You may still enter your terriers to an earth, but only for the protection of game birds and not livestock

Scottish Parliament (Rural Affairs Committee Official Report 78):

“The use of terriers in pest control work is necessary as there appear to be few practical alternatives†and “the use of terriers underground to dispatch orphaned cubs which appears to the Committee to be the only practical alternative, and more humane than leaving them to starve.â€

Lord Burns (Head of the Government Inquiry into Hunting with Dogs - commenting on licensing):

"We consider that it might be productive, in the absence of a ban (on hunting with dogs), to explore the possibility of introducing some form of licensing system, possibly on the lines of those which exist to regulate hunting in some other countries". And "In the case of terrier work, another requirement might be membership of the National Working Terrier Federation and adherence to its code of conduct".

The job of a terrier, fixed with a location collar, is to enter the earth and locate the fox below ground. Once found the dog's job is to bay at the Fox and harass it, causing the fox to bolt the earth where it is netted and immediately shot. The dog should not attack and fight with the fox, it should stand back and bark, constantly.

If the Fox doesn't bolt, due to it being cornered in a dead end tube of the earth or chamber, the Terrierman will then dig to to his dog using the location collar signal. Once he has broken through to the tube he then pulls out his dog, and at the same time he uses his spade to block the tube, the fox is then dispatched by shooting asap.

Some working terriers you see are smashed up around face, and any dog that does this job will inevitably take a few hits eventually from Charlie and have the odd scar, it is part and parcel of their job. However, if a dog goes in every time with the intention of fighting the fox or mixes with it too much, then this dog shouldn't be used for such work as it is too hard. It is certainly not doing it's job properly and for what it was bred for, therefore it is cruel to continue using a dog like this, both for the dog and for the fox.

The National Working Terrier Federation website will tell you everything you wanted to know about Terrierwork and the use of terriers below ground.

http://www.terrierwork.com/index.htm

This is not just some hobby, or badger digging escapade, this is a serious job where your dog enters an earth and puts it's life on the line everytime. The UK has produced some of the finest working dogs and Terriermen who are respected throughout the world. Indeed, much of the working stock overseas come from UK bred terriers, as our breeding and the type of work our dogs do is considered the best in the world.

Cheers

A compelling and well presented arguement. I suppose I naively thought it was just a escapade for badger baiters.

SN

Oh my god he gets worse.

If you took a 576yard shot at anything other than a piece of paper you should have your guns cut up. What would have happened if you had wounded it and it had run off? Or don't you care about that?

nothing is getting away from a .243 round not even that distance and do i care ?..... well we go out in the field too kill vermin if any of us did care we really would not be out there shooting now would we ? :good:

As you say some people have different opinions, AND I RESPECT YOURS

But what you did is cast aspersions as to other peoples character judging them only by an act you have never experienced

I shoot as a hobby, so digging is something I wouldn't choose to do but, its a perfectly legitimate method of pest control, and if some one did it for sport I would not judge them,..... each to there own.

I don't want to offend you but I think you should apologize ... not for your view which you are entitled to, but for judging other to be of a certain type because they dig foxes,

Just my thoughts Ken.