Thinking of quiting

Well after 4 months of knocking doors and talking with farmers and landowners and getting nowhere i am thinking of selling up and taking up a new hobby

I am 58 years old dress smarty and am polite fully insured and SACS member. I will be sellin 4 shotties and chokes cases the lot.Pity but enough is enough

Mick <_<

Edited by hinksford

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really? Are you not interested in any other forms of shooting other than pigeons/rough? What about clays? I've met some top people from here and enjoy this hobbie/sport more than i imagined i would.

And from what i can make out 4 months is no time at all to try and get permission.

Well after 4 months of knocking doors and talking with farmers and landowners and getting nowhere i am thinking of selling up and taking up a new hobby

I am 58 years old dress smarty and am polite fully insured and SACS member. I will be sellin 4 shotties and chokes cases the lot.Pity but enough is enough

Mick :yes:

Your profile gives your age as 40 :hmm:

Yet you say your 58 :yes:

Which one ?

Just checked my birth certificate and can confirm i am 58 :yes: I have been clay shooting for 4 months but not really what i want to do.How do i change the age in my profile :yes: I found most farmera already have guys keeping the vermin down for them .Have left them all with a proffesionaly printed cards with my details on but no replies at all.

I have got (and given) shooting invitations through becoming friends with other shooters at Clay grounds, especially on mid week days when its a bit quieter.

Once I even joined a cheap rough shoot syndicate via a postcard on the Office wall.

Don't give up, 4 months is no time at all, even though it can be frustrating.

After I moved house it took me over 12 months to secure some good local shooting, now I have a very large area to cover.

It took quite a few visits to get these Farmers to give me permission, I think most were impressed with my persistence. :yes:

I have got (and given) shooting invitations through becoming friends with other shooters at Clay grounds, especially on mid week days when its a bit quieter.

Once I even joined a cheap rough shoot syndicate via a postcard on the Office wall.

After I moved house it took me over 12 months to secure some good local shooting, now I have a very large area to cover.

It took quite a few visits to get these Farmers to give me permission, I think most were impressed with my persistence. :yes:

Yes i have seen one or two threads where guys offer a days shooting to newbies and very good of them,

It took quite a few visits to get these Farmers to give me permission, I think most were impressed with my persistence. :hmm:

:yes:

most of the land i shoot over ive gotten onto it through friends, either their own permissions or they dont shoot but have known the farmer and asked him if it would be ok for us to have a few shots on his land; id suggest joining a gun club maybe, join something that will give you access to other shooters and get to know them, because other shooters = shooting opportunities :yes: (and i know how cynical that sounds!!)

hinksford

i know im a bit of a hike for you(Burton on Trent) but if you ever get the chance theres a day here for you, any time after 21st march,week day or a saturday.But you need to be aware i cant promise a good or a bad day,thats pigeon shooting.i have plenty of rape fields,and around the end of this month a local farmer is sowing 40 acres with peas.i keep a spare set of decoys and a hide for such occasions so all you need is your SG,carts,and insurance.paul

hinksford

i know im a bit of a hike for you(Burton on Trent) but if you ever get the chance theres a day here for you, any time after 21st march,week day or a saturday.But you need to be aware i cant promise a good or a bad day,thats pigeon shooting.i have plenty of rape fields,and around the end of this month a local farmer is sowing 40 acres with peas.i keep a spare set of decoys and a hide for such occasions so all you need is your SG,carts,and insurance.paul

Mate i have seen many of your threads offering a day shooting to newbies and i think that is great,if i do get the chance to take up one of your offers i will certainly let you know.

Regards Mick

that is a shame because i have 18 farms two shoot over and cant get round them all now,so have given up 3 of them at the moment,i need two spend more time on each of them,so i am keeping the bigger one,like the 1,000 acre farms.you were closer you would have been ok.

Like others have said you have to keep looking, where i shoot is only due to the father in law knowing the farmer.

He use to shoot his old farm donkey years ago and by luck we manged to find him again.

I have been out knocking on doors and chatting to farmers, even spent a few hours out yesterday pigeon spotting but nothing yet...but if you dont ask you wont get...when im driving around for work all im doing is looking for pigeons :yes:

Go out and get yourself some kit, there are threads on here suggesting real cheap set up gear, then when an invite appears on the forum you can contact them...

If i hear of anything where extra help is required i will mention your name.

Mossy835, you havent given up any land up with Bunnies on have you ?

Cheers

Ian