cross breed reqd

Hello all,

I want to get a dog obviously for shooting but i need a cross between a springer and a lab perhaps its called a "SPLABER" or a LINGER but it has got to have the flushing ability of a springer and the steadyness of a lab. :thumbs:

some of you are bound to have an idea

i have had a springer before and ben was great unfortunately no longer with us hes chasing the rabbits in doggy heaven

very seriously contemplating a lab who breeds them in kent with good gundog strains?

sean

Edited by Shotgun-Sean

Hi Sean

I have been thinking long and hard of getting a dog and like you I have been wondering about a cross breed, there are choc lab springer cross dogs and bitches advertised locally near me (springadors) and also sprockers.

I am worried about instead of getting the better qualitys of both breeds I may end up with the worst traits of each?? :thumbs:

It will be my first dog (except for when I was a kid) and I am also worried about training having never had to do it.

Any ideas opinions would be welcome Sean / anyone.

Ian

I have made my mind up i am going for a black lab purely for the fact that i have had a springer before and was in 2 minds when i got him, although he was a fantastic dog and a faithfull friend for 13 yrs, he did take a few years to calm down but loved his job.

that said i love labs and springers and wish i had the room for both, but i dont so does anyone know where i can get a part trained lab from?

i live in Kent so not to far please

cheers sean :thumbs:

Gent's .... there is NO merit what so ever in purchasing a cross breed gundog for the purposes you require :lol:

Accidents do happen when bitches are in season but no responsible owner would deliberately cross a Lab with a Springer or vice versa. Quite simply there is no need, a pure bred Lab or Springer with correct training will flush and retrieve with no problems what so ever, they have been doing it for over 200 years.

It's nothing new to see Springador's advertised (for ridicules prices) with glowing reports from the breeder .. CR*P, he's just trying to get rid of the pup's. Don't be conned or mislead, .. they are a breeding accident. :*)

Genetically it does not follow that crossing two types of dog with the characteristics that you require will produce a pup that is 50% Lab and 50% Springer either mentally or in appearance. (Lurcher breeders can relate to this)

What do you get with a Sprocker ?? (Cocker cross Springer or v/v)

Answer .. a bigger (usually) Cocker .. what the h*ll for ??

No benefit what so ever.

Get a pure bred dog with a suitable working pedigree and training should be relatively straight forward. :thumbs:

For Lab's in Kent try;

Bourne Park Gundogs

Humble Bee Labradors.

or Jonathan Nightingale, Marden, Kent. 01622-832241

:D:/

my lab had kidney problems last year &had to have him put down :thumbs: :D

but was in luck one of my kids freinds at school was getting rid of a 10 month old lab dog. went to have alook full working ped paid £525 for him given to me for wait for it"free"with ped. left him at home all day in house on own and woundered why he chewed furniture. advantage of age could start training staight away what a dog he,s turned out to be. keep an eye out in local paper,s it will sometime,s fall right for u . good luck

Thanks for all your advice peeps it has been taken on board and unless some one wants to give me a nice dog (magman you lucky sod :thumbs: ), like Sean I will be looking for a Lab but a pup not part trained.

one more question, why do most people seem to go for a black Lab as opposed to golden?? does it really make much difference or is it just that black Lab's tend to have the better blood lines??

Thanks again

Ian

Edited by Red 9R

Magman,

Again if it works out your a lucky boy :/

I to got a "free" returned to breeder Lab full ped ect, had even been chipped & Chopped :D

This again was as he was left alone and destroyed the owners kitchen and was never trained to be anything more that house clean. Thought after my first lab coundn't be too difficult to do this one.

Have still got him, he's now 5 and works well in the field but still can run in when he wants to, stops to the whislte and then looks round to see why he has been stopped before sitting.

Would have been better to get a 8 week old and start from there.

Have learned a few lessons from him.

1) never anything other than a pup.

2) Never a dog always a bitch

But no doubt the next one will proove my all wrong. :thumbs:

Have seen Springadors in the field and they seem OK, but then again the bloke who has it also has some dam good "pure" bred dogs as well.

Trev