What Scope for Those 300 yard shots

pavman

Now then I have tested long range shots again this weekend with the .17HMR in the field and quite frankly anything over 125 yards for a head shot with less than 10 times mag is a dam fine shooting in my book. So what glass have you got that allows such pin point accuracy at some of the distances claimed on PW, I am curious to know if I should be investing in training or a new scope to be in with any chance of winning some silver ware!

Edited by pavman

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I agree. 300 yards with a .17HMR? The bullet will reach that far, but won't have much stopping power behind it.

I also agree but others on PW say its within the HMR what I want to know is what glass do they have to do such a feat,,,,, I hope they are not shy :yes:

cause i have tested and groups are like grape shot at long range if I can find the target! in fact I dont know many lads who take on a centre fire shot at 300 yards, again its a very good shot and i suspect most Charlies are shot in the 150 to 200 range for most of us most of the time,

I shoot bunnies out to 125 but seldom have a need to reach beyond that as field craft puts me in a sensible range. As I have said before there are some very good shots out there so what x mag and scope are they using and why?

Edited by pavman

Arr well done Zapp

OK the .17HMR is an awsome caliber for RECRIATIONAL use i have one rifle set up with supersonic rounds and i can confidently shoot out to 400 yds

Japrite

wonder what the heck he was looking through, a drug haze i suspect

i note few takers on the scope front whats happend to all our HMR Snipers :yes:

i note few takers on the scope front whats happend to all our HMR Snipers :yes:

Give them a while Pav, they maybe on 'special ops' during the day :lol:

I have never tried it, but I would have thought my 4-16x50 would do the job.

It has fine 4a reticle and the cross hairs are in the 2nd focul plane so they stay fine even at high mags.

The truly terrifying thing is that he was talking about .22lr, 400 yds for supersonic and 300 for subsonic... :yes:

Pure numptyness.

ZB

Zap ,

Only a fool can be fooled with this load of absolute horlicks . Thank god most of us know better .

Harnser .

Give them a while Pav, they maybe on 'special ops' during the day :lol:

I have never tried it, but I would have thought my 4-16x50 would do the job.

It has fine 4a reticle and the cross hairs are in the 2nd focul plane so they stay fine even at high mags.

Stu what 4-16 have you got? and out of interest next time out point it at a can in grass at 200 and see what it looks like :yes: as i believe we are claiming 200 yards plus for the PW bunny sniper trophy? all i can see is a spot in the distance :lol:

A competent rifleman laying prone could easily kill a deer at 300 yards with one of the full bore calibres and at least 10 x mag on the scope . A 300 yard shot at deer or anything else can only be desribed as stupid and dangerous . Where the hell is the bullet going to finish up if it passes through the quarry or you miss altogether . 300 yards on any quarry in my opinion is irrasponcible . If you have shot tracers at night then you will have seen how they ricochet all over the place ,even coming straight back .

Harnser .

A competent rifleman laying prone could easily kill a deer at 300 yards with one of the full bore calibres and at least 10 x mag on the scope . A 300 yard shot at deer or anything else can only be desribed as stupid and dangerous . Where the hell is the bullet going to finish up if it passes through the quarry or you miss altogether . 300 yards on any quarry in my opinion is irrasponcible . If you have shot tracers at night then you will have seen how they ricochet all over the place ,even coming straight back .

Harnser .

Have to disagree.....

I am confident i could shoot foxes all day long at 300 yards if i was lying prone.I would prefer at least 18x.

If the bullet passes through (as it nearly always does) it will hit the backstop !

All the foxes i shoot are standing up leaning on the bonnet and have taken them up to 280 yds so lying prone properly rested can only make it easier.

I certainly wouldnt class myself as irresponsible.

300 is stretching believability but 200 is another matter.

the question was what glass is fitted to your HMR, I am interested to know thats all, a Rabbit is very small and 200 is a long way

ta muchly

Edited by pavman

I replaced the 6-24x Bushnell on my HMR with a 6-24x Zeiss this past weekend, to determine whether I could actually qualify for membership of the 300-yard HMR club. The groups were not sub-Minute Of Rabbit size at 300 yards in light, quartering breeze. The unsurpassable optics just don't compensate for the dismal down-range performance of the .17 bullet.

So I played with the 7mm STW instead. Which is more fun.

the question was what glass is fitted to your HMR, I am interested to know thats all, a Rabbit is very small and 200 is a long way

ta muchly

4-16 nikko sterling, no problems seeing at 200 yards in daylight I might add. Maybe our rabbits are bigger :yes:

Hawke 6-24x44 AO.

It works well enough for 150m bunnies (longest kill is 153 paces or something similar), but I keep thinking about getting something with a slightly larger objective for nearer dusk as the Deben struggles a bit in low light.