What Scope for Those 300 yard shots

pavman

Ackley,

You wrongly assume i'm putting you down because i can't do it......

nothing to do with that, it's the higher chance of an error i disagree with, but you are happy enough with that.....

I personally think 465 yards in snow on any deer species is asking for trouble but you knock yourself out son....

sorry I think you miss understand I didnt eman you persoanlly was putting me down but in general people who cant shoot at long range cant or hasnt even trioed it on paper never mind a deer

there is the same chance or error at any range mate long or short.I have seem more short shots missed and messed up than long ones as long shots you have and take more time so everything is right

by the way Iam not your "son" Iam 41 years old :no:

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

and as to the first question on this post

"what scope for those 300 yards shots"

I persoanlly use a 5.5-22x50 Nightforce and a Swarovski Z6i with ballistic turret :no:

Oh and not forgetting Zeiss Victory range fining bins and a wind metre along with a ballistic programe and a lot of field testing

Edited by Ackley

1.5 inch at 500 yard small enough for you,2 x 4 shot groups shot back to back,the one on the right was shot before I adjusted for wind drift

good enough for a fox and deer wouldnt you say :no:

and yes theres a lot of skill invloved shooting a target or a deer at 500 yards just like there is a skill getting in close,proablem with close you end up mising more as the shot is sometimes rushed unlike a taking your time on a longggggggggggg shot

I can do both and enjoy both long and short shots

Picture.jpg

very impressive shooting and of course its not the HMR that was in question

IMHO some guys are always gonna outshoot the rest of us and thats the exception not the rule

for most field users which lets be honest most of us are, common sense should limit us to what we can do and be sure of a clean kill,

Ackley are you keeping from us you are and ex sniper or have won bisley :good:

Edited by pavman

very impressive shooting and of course its not the HMR that was in question

IMHO some guys are always gonna outshoot the rest of us and thats the exception not the rule

for most field users which lets be honest most of us are, common sense should limit us to what we can do and be sure of a clean kill,

Ackley are you keeping from us you are and ex sniper or have won bisley :no:

**** no mate not and ex snipe unfortunatley or a Bisley paper punching winner,just an ordinary Joe who like rifles and like to push things a little further,

I couldnt agree more with you "common sense" should limit us thats why you will find ALL long range shooters will only take a shot when the conditions are correct

now as to an HMR well thats another story didnt you know HMR shooters are head shot accuarte field snipers at 300 yards :good:

a HMR is a good caliber when used for what it was made for 150 yards any further is just plain guess work

**** no mate not and ex snipe unfortunatley or a Bisley paper punching winner,just an ordinary Joe who like rifles and like to push things a little further,

I couldnt agree more with you "common sense" should limit us thats why you will find ALL long range shooters will only take a shot when the conditions are correct

now as to an HMR well thats another story didnt you know HMR shooters are head shot accuarte field snipers at 300 yards :no:

a HMR is a good caliber when used for what it was made for 150 yards any further is just plain guess work

fair enoughski, ref HMR and that after all was what stated us orf, in the field my Sako Quad is flat to around 105 it then drops 2 inch from 105 to 150 on 17 grain factory Rems,

ref .223 centrefire i mostly shoot 75grain Hornady BTHP and 1inch hi at 100 gives a 160 zero, when i lamp a charlie I am not shooting much beyond 200 and the 75's drop fairly quick after that but they do buck the wind of which we get our fair share on teh East coast!

Now i have little enough time to squeak, lamp and get the shot off let alone dial in any correction, so that would limit your long range to daylight shooting assuming you correct with a dial in and not holdover/windage due to the distance,

Q plz what method do you use, what zero, what round/weight

Basically what is the whole set up and can you post pics, as i am gen interested

ta

Guest RemmySPS

Pavman, why not use 55grn'ers. I have my .223 zeroed in at 200yds and just shoot POA out to 250yds.

And for those of you who wonder where Ackley gets his shooting skill from…….it’s from his dad. :no::good:

Edited by RemmySPS

Pavman, why not use 55grn'ers. I have my .223 zeroed in at 200yds and just shoot POA out to 250yds.

And for those of you who wonder where Ackley gets his shooting skill from…….it’s from his dad. :no::good:

I have a 1 in 8 twist and it likes a heavy round, get much better groups, the 60's go well but when I say we get wind I really do mean we get wind! most Easterly point in the UK we get it orf the sea most days and there never seems to be a still day even some way inland

fair enoughski, ref HMR and that after all was what stated us orf, in the field my Sako Quad is flat to around 105 it then drops 2 inch from 105 to 150 on 17 grain factory Rems,

ref .223 centrefire i mostly shoot 75grain Hornady BTHP and 1inch hi at 100 gives a 160 zero, when i lamp a charlie I am not shooting much beyond 200 and the 75's drop fairly quick after that but they do buck the wind of which we get our fair share on teh East coast!

Now i have little enough time to squeak, lamp and get the shot off let alone dial in any correction, so that would limit your long range to daylight shooting assuming you correct with a dial in and not holdover/windage due to the distance,

Q plz what method do you use, what zero, what round/weight

Basically what is the whole set up and can you post pics, as i am gen interested

ta

you have asked for it :no: this is a subject i can talk about all day

my made two rifles are both custom built so i do have a little edge in the accuracy stakes,on is a 243 AI I mainly use a 68 gr Berger bullet running around 3800 fps,this is my made foxing tool,longest shot it has done was 610 yards off the top of my pick up,unfortunatley I didnt do it a mate did as he wanted a shot with it,I got him the range he dailed in and bang job done,this was in daylight

at night I can still ID foxes at 500 yards as I use a light force blitz and also my binos can see and range it,you have ample time to spot range and dial at night over this distance but mainly most foxes are shoy around the 100 to 200 yard mark

I spend quite a lot of time developing home loads and also shooting paper to test them which allows me to be able to conect at these ranges

my second rifle in the same but a different caliber 7mm wsm I use this for deer and game in Africa this rifle isnt as accrurate as the 243 AI due to the large bullet 162 gr but is more consistant with the wind over long range.

again lots of testing carried out

I also test of a good solid shooting bench which I made and is also great for long range crow bashing

Picture617.jpg

Picture615.jpg

Dave, I find that a bit of mutilated pipe-lagging, approx 1" thick and applied to the wing mirror with black and nasty, gives a consistent base off which to shoot. The mirror on my Disco is just the right shape and height for shooting off.

Baldie - I have similar stuff in the void of my mirror. I wrap a thick jacket around Chris's Disco 3 door mirror - but can't get quite so comfortable as when I'm in my humble Pinin. The door being thinner perhaps alows me to get closer to it before leaning over if that makes any sense. Height adjustable seats on both make for fine tuning the position.

Someone touched on "field testing" earlier: Given that bunny hangs around so long while shooting (they often carry on feeding when I'm doing my target practice/load trials) I chose something like a clump of mud or small stone in mud to get a feel for the windage amount when I'm not using paper.

About 300 yds is my 17 rem limit at the moment - and I can't see the hole in the target at that range.

you have asked for it :oops: this is a subject i can talk about all day

my made two rifles are both custom built so i do have a little edge in the accuracy stakes,on is a 243 AI I mainly use a 68 gr Berger bullet running around 3800 fps,this is my made foxing tool,longest shot it has done was 610 yards off the top of my pick up,unfortunatley I didnt do it a mate did as he wanted a shot with it,I got him the range he dailed in and bang job done,this was in daylight

at night I can still ID foxes at 500 yards as I use a light force blitz and also my binos can see and range it,you have ample time to spot range and dial at night over this distance but mainly most foxes are shoy around the 100 to 200 yard mark

I spend quite a lot of time developing home loads and also shooting paper to test them which allows me to be able to conect at these ranges

my second rifle in the same but a different caliber 7mm wsm I use this for deer and game in Africa this rifle isnt as accrurate as the 243 AI due to the large bullet 162 gr but is more consistant with the wind over long range.

again lots of testing carried out

I also test of a good solid shooting bench which I made and is also great for long range crow bashing

Picture617.jpg

Picture615.jpg

:good: thats some night time ID job i cant tell what it is much beyond 300 I know its either a deer or a charlie,,, or perhaps a doggy taking a dump out for a late walk in the country, I have a S&B 8X56 with a scope mounted lightforce 170 its a smashing bit of kit but 500 at night with a lamp lit charlie is not in my remit

:good: thats some night time ID job i cant tell what it is much beyond 300 I know its either a deer or a charlie,,, or perhaps a doggy taking a dump out for a late walk in the country, I have a S&B 8X56 with a scope mounted lightforce 170 its a smashing bit of kit but 500 at night with a lamp lit charlie is not in my remit

you will struggle with the 170 try the 240 Blitz with no filter,I always carry both also my scope is 22 mag plus i use best quality binos to range and spot

you will struggle with the 170 try the 240 Blitz with no filter,I always carry both also my scope is 22 mag plus i use best quality binos to range and spot

Highlander has the 240 Blitz and we have tested, they dont sit still and wait for the shot once they see the field lit up like a footy pitch :good:

we lamp with the 170 and red or the Cluson (my fav) and shoot if close enough if not add the 170 scope mounted to check ID 100% as we have come across dog walkers late and in places they should not be :oops:

To be honest my permission is all small (ish) marsh and the biggest field is only 55 acres (out of around 1000 in total) so my longest shot is never going to approach your kind of distance. I would hate to master the long shot at bright eyes and drive over to find a dead Badger :lol:

at longer ranges thought they tend to stay still in white light, I know round us they are so often lit up by car lights that they rarely spook once over a certain distance away. I know I've seen a couple of longish shots taken across valleys etc that were pretty easy to get a positive ID on. Not this length of shot but still reaching out a fair way. Shots where if you tried to cross the valley you would either spook them or be shooting uphill.

Highlander has the 240 Blitz and we have tested, they dont sit still and wait for the shot once they see the field lit up like a footy pitch :good:

we lamp with the 170 and red or the Cluson (my fav) and shoot if close enough if not add the 170 scope mounted to check ID 100% as we have come across dog walkers late and in places they should not be :oops:

To be honest my permission is all small (ish) marsh and the biggest field is only 55 acres (out of around 1000 in total) so my longest shot is never going to approach your kind of distance. I would hate to master the long shot at bright eyes and drive over to find a dead Badger :lol:

you obviously dont know how to set up a lightforce lamp to concentrate the beam,I use a 240 most of the time unless after rabbits with a red filter,also knowing how to use a lamp correctly helps

as to your comment "the long shot at bright eyes and drive over to find a dead Badger"

first rule of ALL shooting at short or long range,DONT SHOOT AT EYES

hence you have to use the correct lamp,scope and have a little common sense

Edited by Ackley

300 yards with a .17 hmr, at night?? you guys are nuts!! sure you could do it, but might take fifty rounds, I mean if there is lead in the air, there is hope, and I hope you don't find fluffy, the neighbors cat., have fun Stephen

dead right 300 yards in broad daylight with a 17 HMR is stupid never mind at night,use the right tool for the right job and the HMR isnt a long range caliber,reliably 150 yards tops

300 yards with a .17 hmr, at night?? you guys are nuts!! sure you could do it, but might take fifty rounds, I mean if there is lead in the air, there is hope, and I hope you don't find fluffy, the neighbors cat., have fun Stephen

Dont worry, that it is a bad idea was the original point of the thread.

ZB

you have not read it all have you :hmm:

you obviously dont know how to set up a lightforce lamp to concentrate the beam,I use a 240 most of the time unless after rabbits with a red filter,also knowing how to use a lamp correctly helps

as to your comment "the long shot at bright eyes and drive over to find a dead Badger"

first rule of ALL shooting at short or long range,DONT SHOOT AT EYES

hence you have to use the correct lamp,scope and have a little common sense

I was being deliberately obtuse, a point that seems to have been missed, never mind :hmm:

dont worry I have a fair idea of how it all works :)

There's not alot of input required to concentrate the beam so i'm fairly confident pavman can rotate the lens....

and with a blitz, and the best binoculars (el's, ziess etc) my eyes could not clearly make out a fox at 500 yards at night and check the area behind the target.... :good:

Edited by gixer1

There's not alot of input required to concentrate the beam so i'm fairly confident pavman can rotate the lens....

and with a blitz, and the best binoculars (el's, ziess etc) my eyes could not clearly make out a fox at 500 yards at night and check the area behind the target.... :good:

should have gone to spec savers