What Scope for Those 300 yard shots

pavman

i really cant see why some of you guys are finding it so hard too belive that i hit a bunny at 300 yards as i said in a early post call it a lucky shot if you like but i aimed for it and i hit the bunny some peolple may think its irisponsible shot there was a hugh grass bank behind the bunny so it was a safe shot it was summers morning there was no wind what so ever if i remember i must have aimed about four and a half feet above the bunny i cant remember what the scopes are on my .17 and cant be ***** to go in the loft too look and this shot was witnesed by my shooting buddy all i can say is belive it or dont its up too you guys :yes:

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What I'd use would be rather expensive. Get some boffin type to rig up an extremely sensitive remotely controlled electronic firing mounting for your HMR. This would be best places on a high spot, say a chimney pot (naturally use smokeless coal). Now, you'd then (obviously) link that to a drone as used by the military, which would be orbiting high over your rabbit permission. The little suckers wouldn't even realise the big eye in the sky was watching them. From the comfort of your own home you can them use your laptop to find, target and eliminate the vicious little critters.

But, that's just how I'd do it.

What I'd use would be rather expensive. Get some boffin type to rig up an extremely sensitive remotely controlled electronic firing mounting for your HMR. This would be best places on a high spot, say a chimney pot (naturally use smokeless coal). Now, you'd then (obviously) link that to a drone as used by the military, which would be orbiting high over your rabbit permission. The little suckers wouldn't even realise the big eye in the sky was watching them. From the comfort of your own home you can them use your laptop to find, target and eliminate the vicious little critters.

But, that's just how I'd do it.

point and click

Someone beat you to it john :yes:

I'll have a go as well when the wind here drops a bit. I think I have enough space up at the permission for a 300m shot. Any limits on how to support the rifle? I was thinking beanbags, but I'd be happy to use a bipod off the bonnet if that's acceptable.

Stu what 4-16 have you got? and out of interest next time out point it at a can in grass at 200 and see what it looks like :oops:

This one:

Scope

One up from the bottom.

Dazza, I believe has the 6-24x50.

You can make out bullet holes at 200 yards through it, in fact a follow shooter borrowed it at Bisley as he reckoned he could see more through it than his spotting scope :good:

Hawke 6-24x44 AO.

It works well enough for 150m bunnies (longest kill is 153 paces or something similar), but I keep thinking about getting something with a slightly larger objective for nearer dusk as the Deben struggles a bit in low light.

153 of your paces is probably more than 300 yards!

I too would be willing to have a crack at 300 and post the results once the wind has died down.

ZB

PS I am using a 6-18x40 and shooting to about 150m with my HMR

153 of your paces is probably more than 300 yards!

I too would be willing to have a crack at 300 and post the results once the wind has died down.

ZB

PS I am using a 6-18x40 and shooting to about 150m with my HMR

My god you must stand twelve feet tall. :good::oops: As a yard is 3feet 3inches (i think, correct me if wrong somebody).

That would mean a pace of six feet at a stride.

:lol::lol: :o

1 yard = 3feet.

1 metre = apx 3ft.3 3/8"

webber

Thanks webber thought it was somewhere there. :good::oops:

Still means hell of a stride though, i struggle to do a yard at a time walking normally.

Wouldn't want to run into zapp down a dark alley think i would **** myself. :lol::lol:

Bushnell banner dusk and dawn 6-18 x 50 sits on my sako quad .17hmr usually 100yds but have done 150ish on rabbit, pigeon and rooks/crows

Have just checked trajectory table looks like 3 feet of holdover at 300yds for 100 yd zero will give it a go at next opportunity and laugh when i miss altogether.

Edited by badshot

I am curious to know if I should be investing in training or a new scope to be in with any chance of winning some silver ware!

I suggest training 300 yards is only short range for the hmr and you should be taking head shots with iron sights at that range, you only need scopes for 500 yards plus

I have a Nikko Sterling Gold Crown 3-9X42 on the Sako Quad and limit myself to my ability in the field off the ATV rail at night with a scope mounted Lightforce 170, it all makes for a fine bit of kit and all bunnies are shot within 125 yards max and normally 60 to 100 is the area of most head shots. I shot over 500 Rabbits last year on my own permissions and quite a few more helping others. However I would not point my Rimfire at a living creature at a range beyond reasonable killing zone just to prove I could hit it, however a paper target wont feel any pain if you goof the shot so I hope no cheating takes place when we all test it,,,,,,, wonder if we should all meet up to compair notes and hold a little comp?

Edited by pavman

Oi Zapp! I'm tall, but not that tall!

Ok, 300 YARDS it is. I'll whip out my calculator and convert it all back to metric, then see what sort of group I can rustle up. I have to say that i think it's going to be no smaller than six inches though.