What Scope for Those 300 yard shots

pavman

Thanks webber thought it was somewhere there. :good::oops:

Still means hell of a stride though, i struggle to do a yard at a time walking normally.

Wouldn't want to run into zapp down a dark alley think i would **** myself. :lol::lol:

:o , I'm not tall, I'm talking about Wookie!

Oi Zapp! I'm tall, but not that tall!

Ok, but I bet you arent called Wookie because of your all over body hair.....

:(

ZB

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

300 yard shots........................a few too many of you dont know how long a yard actually is or that a metre is longer than a yard.

Your right....I got that wrong,i must have had a blonde moment.Fortunately i have a nikon thing that i just point at the target and it works it all out for me,in metres or yards.The only thing is it only measures up to 1000 yards so i wont be able to see what happens after mid range with the 17hmr.

Ok, but I bet you arent called Wookie because of your all over body hair.....

No, it's because of my habit of running down the street growling and wearing nothing but a blandolier...

Which reminds me, it almost tim for my monthly shave.

Oi Zapp! I'm tall, but not that tall!

Ok, 300 YARDS it is. I'll whip out my calculator and convert it all back to metric, then see what sort of group I can rustle up. I have to say that i think it's going to be no smaller than six inches though.

Wookie I see you are within a HMR shot of my good self, perhaps we should join forces and either prove or disprove the theory,

I suggest training 300 yards is only short range for the hmr and you should be taking head shots with iron sights at that range, you only need scopes for 500 yards plus

Fullbore iron sights are fine for some but remember the guys on here have been mass debating this subject for so long now that most of them have failing sight and need the help of a good scope! :good:

Wookie I see you are within a HMR shot of my good self, perhaps we should join forces and either prove or disprove the theory,

Mind if I tag along Pav and Wookie? Sounds like it could be a bit of a larf!

ZB

PS, dont count on getting any useable data from my woeful shooting skills though.

Mind if I tag along Pav and Wookie? Sounds like it could be a bit of a larf!

ZB

PS, dont count on getting any useable data from my woeful shooting skills though.

Why not Zapp, waiting on Wookie to reply and we can sort somthing out, PM me your phone number for a blether tomorrow am out lamping tonight :good:

That sounds like a good plan actually. What we need is a nice long, flat, sheltered place of land about 500m or so in length, car friendly, maybe with a pub or cafe nearby.

When are you thinking by the way chaps? Time is tight for me this weekend (back off to see the parents on Saturday), but I think I have a day off coming up next week for some pigeon shooting.

That sounds like a good plan actually. What we need is a nice long, flat, sheltered place of land about 500m or so in length, car friendly, maybe with a pub or cafe nearby.

When are you thinking by the way chaps? Time is tight for me this weekend (back off to see the parents on Saturday), but I think I have a day off coming up next week for some pigeon shooting.

I have a pair of adjoining fields on my main permish with a total length of about 450 yds which form a natural backstop out to a range of around 350 yards.

It is a bit open to the wind, and is semi car friendly (ie I can ferry to and from a parking area).

However;

Pub: Big Tick :good:

Cafe: :P let me think on that one.

My suggestion is of course pending an ok from Mr Giles, and would probably mean no more than a handful of folks so the horse people dont get too much of a fright. :good:

ZB

Edited by Zapp Brannigan

Hi Folks,

Scuse my blind ignorance as a shotgun shooter, .22 LR & .22 FAC air rifle.

Don't know what a .17 bullet is, seems tiny to me and OK for starlings at 20 yards!

Can someone try to educate me?

Here you go: LINKY

Yes, it is a small round, but boy does it make up for it in performance!

ZB

OK, thanks for the train timetable, just about see the velocity levels!

What is a .17 bullet? Is it rimfire, centre fire and in all my shooting years never heard of this. Is this a new invention just to confuse the hell out of everyone?

Should I burn my .22 LR bolt action Bruno?

So that's a 16.5" holdover at 300m... Hmm. I think I will try and dig out a yardstick or something to help us a little.

Just thinking about my permission... There are lots of places where I have that much room, there's a pub round the corner and it's not too far from home. But... The farmer might have people out and we might run into dog walkers. I'm sure he would be ok with it though. And, it would be about half way between Zapp and Pavman. You should be ok for it as well MC.

The other option is Barton Road range (which Zapp knows well). As long as we can persuade the club that shoots there to let us go on it, we should be sorted for backstops and distance. From the looks of it, they have a 300/400m shoot there on March the 22nd, but it's not an open day, so we'd have to have a word with them and see what they said. That would be a bit more professional...

Pavman, Zapp. I'll PM you my phone number. Give me a call over the next week or so and we'll have a yarn about it.

OK, thanks for the train timetable, just about see the velocity levels!

What is a .17 bullet? Is it rimfire, centre fire and in all my shooting years never heard of this. Is this a new invention just to confuse the hell out of everyone?

Should I burn my .22 LR bolt action Bruno?

Look at the link I posted for you goddamnit! :good:

ZB