252 yard pigeon

Dougy

After spending the morning sorting out MY SHED :good: i decided that i had to go out and have a play.

On one of my permisions i have a lovely corner where i can snipe some long range rabbits, anyway on

the way to my nice quiet retreat i spot a few woddies in the far field, :P why not-

so down in the muck bi pod at the ready, nice and steady waited till it stopped dancing around,

squeezed off the shot, bingo a few white feathers floating in the air.

well i was impressed :good:

then not long after 1 rabbit at 165 yds 1 at 213yds and 1 at 237 yds left out for mr fox,

post-2987-1236711513.jpg

post-2987-1236711548.jpg

Edited by Dougy

There you go, another I like to target practice on live animals thread to prove how far I can kill things, Fantastic ..... you could also inform the League against cruel sports then may find it most useful just the odd twist of words and you get

Pigeon members boast of long range pot shots to boost their ego, Quote i decided that i had to go out and have a play. So thats the status its no longer Vermin control its Play

I despair sometimes :innocent:

Edited by pavman

There you go, another I like to target practice on live animals thread to prove how far I can kill things, Fantastic ..... you could also inform the League against cruel sports then may find it most useful just the odd twist of words and you get

Pigeon members boast of long range pot shots to boost their ego, Quote i decided that i had to go out and have a play. So thats the status its no longer Vermin control its Play

I despair sometimes ;)

I thought a 22-250 would shoot that range no bother ? :innocent:

I despair sometimes :innocent:

Totally agree with the above....... This falls into the same dried out thread of '.17 HMR for fox'

Firearms calibers all have an intended purpose, clearly defined and laid out in definition by the terms of your certificate.

But it does fall into the category of 'The less known about the better'

Not being a critic of the original posters in what he has though innocent thread, if you want to practice long range shooting keep it separate from 'experimentation' with vermin.

have you never tested your abilities Pav?

If not you'll definitely be in the minority, certainly in this case I'd struggle to see how the round could injure rather than kill with the amount of energy behind it.

I'm also sure the poster had been out and tried all other forms of scaring the pigeons humanely before resorting to shooting sleeping.gif

"Pav" look up "play" on the internet and educate yourself.

"I had been working in the shed sorting out a load of rubbish.When i'de done i decided to chang my line of work and do some pigeon control.I had placed signs around the field informing pigeon to "KEEP OFF" and had also asked them personaly to fly away but they refused on a number of occasions ;) . so i used my 22.250 to get the numbers down to an acceptable level"

How is that ? does that meet tour requirements ;)

and as for practising on live quarry if you call 6 shots previous to check zero live practice then i hold my hands up.

I have Morrals thank you and i have standards, i had 3 months practice on paper when the rifle was new getting it the way i wanted, that was to be as accurate as i could possibly be.

have a nice day Pav ;) and thanks for you kind comments ;)

you seem to be hollier than though, are you intentions to return after your death as an angel or are we going to have a Saint "Pav" for goodness sake stop having a dig at every oppertunity you'll give youself a heart attack. :innocent:

have you never tested your abilities Pav?

If not you'll definitely be in the minority, certainly in this case I'd struggle to see how the round could injure rather than kill with the amount of energy behind it.

I'm also sure the poster had been out and tried all other forms of scaring the pigeons humanely before resorting to shooting sleeping.gif

"Pav" look up "play" on the internet and educate yourself.

"I had been working in the shed sorting out a load of rubbish.When i'de done i decided to chang my line of work and do some pigeon control.I had placed signs around the field informing pigeon to "KEEP OFF" and had also asked them personaly to fly away but they refused on a number of occasions ;) . so i used my 22.250 to get the numbers down to an acceptable level"

How is that ? does that meet tour requirements ;)

and as for practising on live quarry if you call 6 shots previous to check zero live practice then i hold my hands up.

I have Morrals thank you and i have standards, i had 3 months practice on paper when the rifle was new getting it the way i wanted, that was to be as accurate as i could possibly be.

have a nice day Pav ;) and thanks for you kind comments :P

you seem to be hollier than though, are you intentions to return after your death as an angel or are we going to have a Saint "Pav" for goodness sake stop having a dig at every oppertunity you'll give youself a heart attack. :innocent:

Firstly, yes of course i have tested myself on paper punching, and if I did otherwise I would not boast about it in public, what happens on the field stays on the field :P

If I point my Rifle at a legal quarry you best believe I am very sure its going to sleep and I have selected the right tool for the job

When my FEO issued my cert I suspect high on the agenda was he wanted to know I would act responsibly. He granted me a 17 for rabbits and a 223 for Fox, I cant imagine he would have granted the 22-2250 for Pigeons, bit of an overkill don’t you think, more to the point what are we trying to prove? that’s the bit I don’t get,

PW is a Public Forum I know cause I get told off now and again so an Angel I am not, The antis in my area scan every mag and forum they can just looking for transgressions they can seize on and hurl back at some point. Its not beyond them to call the FEO and complain about any issues they think will help there cause and if anyone thinks otherwise they are sadly mistaken.

Shoot mice at 500 with your centerfire if you like frankly Its your FAC, what I do care about is the image we represent to the outside world, when you own a Firearm or Shottie its one thing to make silly, sarcastic, funny or micky taking post and I am guilty of them all, but its quite another to demonstrate a lack of common sense when so many folk are so sensitive to folk like us to start with if you want to talk about it I would be more than pleased to discuss, you never know I may win you over and its good to make new friends ;)

Pavman,

With the greatest respect and civility can I ask what grounds you object on? I never understand where people are coming from on these threads and would like to discuss it.

Cruelty: How many foot lbs does a .22-250 round retain at 250 yards? More than enough I'd say

Accuracy: There is no luck involved in long range shooting, if you are unskilled or chancing it you are going to miss.

PR: People regularly shoot deer at these ranges, why is it bad to do it to a pigeon, why does it become a "pot shot" when the animal changes? Antis are exactly that, anti hunting, doesn't matter if it was 10 yards or 1000, they'd still complain. Even if, instead of bullets, we fired lethal injections from our guns and the deaths were guaranteed painless we'd still be monsters.

Legally: I am not a license holder in the UK, is shooting a pigeon with a rifle legal?

I just don't understand where you are coming from on this I have to say. I can respect your opinion, you don't want to do it and that's your choice and you are 100% entitled to that choice and your opinion.

Edited by Vegeta

fair enough but its certainly not the first post on here of using a centrefire on vermin, usually its to check zero after missing which has never kicked up a fuss before.

Its not a fuss we are having a sensible debate are we not, this is the sort of twits at the LACS

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...c=81915&hl=

They will twist just about anything and thats my point, any man who can hit a woodie at 250 is not gonna miss a charlie is he,,, but thats not what they see if they read the post and its that I am trying to get accross....... its not working is it?

Edited by pavman