fox shooting

dan222

Hi all

Ive got a chance to aquire permission to shoot fox.

what is a good type of gun for the job,the permission is on farmland mainley used for grazing .

I now there are allot of foxes as I have bumped into them while out at night for rabbits especily at this time of year.

gust wondering the cost this would be.

thanks , Dan.

Buy a centrefire rifle, popular calibres that will do the job .17REM, .204Ruger, .22Hornet, .222, .223, .22-250, .243.

Cost will depend on a lot of things, which make and model rifle, what scope, what mounts, what quality or new items or second hand, bipod or sticks, sling, lamp & battery, plus cleaning equiptment and ammo to get you started.

Hi all

Ive got a chance to aquire permission to shoot fox.

what is a good type of gun for the job,the permission is on farmland mainley used for grazing .

I now there are allot of foxes as I have bumped into them while out at night for rabbits especily at this time of year.

gust wondering the cost this would be.

thanks , Dan.

Just wait till september and see how many you have :good:

Has no one thought to mention that the calibre of gun is dependant on what the land has been signed off to... :good:

Ring up your FLO and ask what the land is signed off to. If it's not signed off, then you'll have to get it inspected.

As stated, a .17HMR will suffice. There was a good little article in one of the mags about shooting them with a .22LR

u also need to talk to your fao about wether or not they will put fox on your ticket for a 17.

alot of areas won't allow you to use a rimfire for fox so you will need a centerfire. most popular is the 223, good for long range vermin and fox.

Edited by charlie 1

Dan222

Devon and Cornwall have been twitchy putting fox on for HMR, but when I put in for a CF recently the ticket cam back with fox across all three calibres I have including the HMR. Give Middlemoor a ring they're really helpful.

I went for 243 as the land was cleared and I have the chance at some deer as well.

Damean