Frontera Cam-Belt HELP!

Warlock

I have been told about this car but it has a broken cam belt, how easy is it to replace DIY style and how much? or would it be better getting it done properly by a mechanic? and what sort of money would that cost?

My other question is that if the cam belt is broken i`m guessing driving it would be a no no so i guess i would need a mobile mechanic.

usually when a cam belt brakes on any car while driving it the engine breaks, the con rods break or bend, this means the car should require a new engine meaning it is not economic to repair a Frontera if the garage are putting a new engine in.

however vauxhall are well known for thier engines working after the cam belt has broken, all you can do it put a new one in and hope it will still work,

at garage it will be between £150 and £400 depending on how accessable it is, you can do it yourself but the kogs it runs on can not be moved or the timing will go out,

personally i would not bother with a car where the cam belt has snapped

cn belt also snap if something else goes wrong in the engine, i had a car where the crank snapped in half which broke the cam belt,

anyway i would not touch a car with a broken can belt unless i was willing to put a new engine in

thanks charlie

I wouldn't bother with it even if it was free, there are too many cheap 4x4's out there that work. What usually happens is you end up with a load of bent valves where the pistons hit them once the timing is out. If you get a valve head break off then it can make the engine scrap

I wouldn't bother with it even if it was free, there are too many cheap 4x4's out there that work. What usually happens is you end up with a load of bent valves where the pistons hit them once the timing is out. If you get a valve head break off then it can make the engine scrap

:good:

LB