Foam Decoys

Cranfield

I am not sure about these foam decoys for floaters or rotary devices.

I had mine on a Pinewood Rotary Device today.

They don,t fit this Rotary very well, but I am use to that.

The problem today was the wind.

There was a lot of it and the foam decoys didn,t like it at all.

They started to come apart at the seams.

Fortunately, I shot some of the real thing very quickly and the foam decoys got substituted.

Any tips from you other "foam" users.

I don't know about the pinewood advantage, but the foam birds can be really tricky in even a light wind.

In these conditions the things seem to fly better with the steel  straps removed, but even then they can be liable to go a bit 'haywire'.

The tabs should'nt have come apart though, mine have taken a pounding and stayed intact..........you should speak to Mike, see what he suggests......... ;)

In fairness to the decoys (don,t want to hurt their feelings  :cry: ), it was very, very windy.

I superglued the tabs back on and they won,t be a problem again.

I will use them in future until I get "the real thing" and then relegate them to the floaters, where they seemed OK, even in the wind.

Somebody needs to invent/design a hardbodied pigeon decoy with fixed, outstretched wings to fit rotary devices.

Why do they have to be made of foam ?

We all have room in our "cammo sack" for a couple of decoys of this shape.

I have got Hard bodied decoys that fit in my whirler with hard ridgid wings when you buy them you can ask for the wings to be set how you like ( ie wings down like gliding in or wings up coming into land ) also you can have the tail fanned out and they are flocked. But i still prefer dead birds however my mate uses them all the time

Hi Guys

I dont have a rotary device yet but I intend to buy one sometime do you reckon the Pinewood device is best or is there one that is better.Cost does not matter (not bad for a Scotsman!!!!!)

Keith