Training cost?

Wiltsmark

Hi Guys, apoligies if this has been asked before but couldn't find the topic if it has been, i am thinking about buying a sprocker pup sometime soon,we already own a jrt,so i was thinking about sending the sprocker away to be trained,how old would the dog have to be before this can be done?,also how long would he/she be away for?,and finally what would the cost of this be, i would of liked to of tried myself but thought the challenge would be to much with having the jrt around and not to mention the kids. would appreciate any advice on this thanks. :good:

Mark

I look at it for my ESS

normally they will not take them before 6 months and it depends on what you want the dog to do ??

Mine was to be used for walked up and pigeon shooting and the trainer wanted 750 for six weeks

when the dog already had all the basic obediance training already done as he was 12 months old

lost my job some weeks later so spent a while training him myself

Hes not as good as he would have been had he gone to the trainer but hes a work in progress

It difficult as he lives in with two young kids and a OH that spoils him

Good luck

Have a look here http://www.tawnyhillgundogs.co.uk/Residential%20Training.htm

Tony's price and comments are pretty fair!

6-8 months depending on the dog is the age to start formal training.

Just remember that when an agreed standard has been reached and the dog has been returned to you. You will need to maintain that standard.

Cheers

Hi,

I have been around every major field trialling kennel in the UK using dogs at stud.

On two occasions I have heard telephone conversations with owners of dogs that are in for training.

On both occasions they put the phone down and joked that the dog had been in 6 weeks and they had done nothing with it yet!

Be very careful who you go to!

I only trust a few people in this game. Two I have first hand knowledge of is Allan Atkinson who is the Yorkshire area BASC gundog advisor. This man is so straight in everything he does. He will not lie to a client and trains all the dogs in his kennels from day one and like clockwork, only resting when they have all been trained. allan@allanjune.fsnet.co.uk

Number two is Andrew Robinson at www.whaupleygundogs.co.uk

Andrew and his wife Fiona are unique in the world of trialling in that their trialling dogs actually work on real shoots, not engineered training days. Very honest, very concinetious and hard working. I have known them both for years and thoroughly reccomend them.

The only shortfall is that both these people are in Yorkshire.

Good luck.

Ian

Thankyou guy's for the replies, seems to be a bit of a mine field,been to the west country gamefair today and spoke to the people of woodash gundogs in somerset, seemed to be (on first impressions) genuine people,they do a 1 to 1 service no price was mentioned,do you guy's think this would be a better path to take? and how much could i expect to pay on an hourly basis?. :good:

Have a look here http://www.tawnyhillgundogs.co.uk/Residential%20Training.htm

Tony's price and comments are pretty fair!

6-8 months depending on the dog is the age to start formal training.

Just remember that when an agreed standard has been reached and the dog has been returned to you. You will need to maintain that standard.

Cheers

:good: And you will need lessons as the handler if you want to achieve that last line.

LB

• 9 years later...
On 15/03/2009 at 11:18, rimfire4969 said:

I trained my springer on my own, with some very helpful visits to Chris Upton at Corleone Gundogs Cornwall for one to one help with the dog and myself. Very pleased with the outcome little and often.

I am in Cornwall 17th March to 23rd March for a week at Mousehole. Travelling from Hampshire. Cannot easily make contact with Chris Upton because of all the ongoing problems he has.

I am looking for a telephone number or email contact to try and book a session with him whilst in Cornwall. If you can help would be obliged.

Chris Hansford 07973326702

5 hours ago, chansford said:

I am in Cornwall 17th March to 23rd March for a week at Mousehole. Travelling from Hampshire. Cannot easily make contact with Chris Upton because of all the ongoing problems he has.

I am looking for a telephone number or email contact to try and book a session with him whilst in Cornwall. If you can help would be obliged.

Chris Hansford 07973326702

1) That post was from 2009. 

2) Chris Upton has a bad reputation from many dog trainers, his methods are harsh and he seemed to hold himself in very high regard as a trainer, despite not having the awards others do. 

3) he is on Facebook.