Buying bullet heads/cases and primers ?

Just got my cert varied for .223 for roe and foxes...problem is only got keep 60 and buy 50 (ammo)...wee bro will i hope agree to reload for me so have been doing a bit of research into the prices of what i will need to give him ...looks like most places sell in packets of 100 heads likewise for brass and primers....so....will i be required to put heads on cert ? if so i am stuffed cause i canny have that many...take it i can buy as much primers and brass as i want..:good:

You show your FAC to buy parts.

Have the heads added to your ticket, not primers or powder.

You can hold the parts to make thousands of rounds and buy heads by the hundered, just never have more than 60 made up.

Actually I think legally an expanding bullet counts as a round, made up or not :hmm:

You can buy as many primers, powders and cases as you like as long as you don't go over the maximum allowed weight of powder (which is loads so don't worry about that).

The easiest way around this that I can see is try a Hornady A-Max load. They are non expanding target bullets officially so can be held in whatever quantity you want without needing an FAC (unlike section 5 / Expanding bullets). Hornady quoted them as being suitable for thin skinned game on their website but in the UK they are classed as non expanding?! I used to make a pretty standard load for my .223... 25grns of Benchmark, 52grn A-Max, Lapua case, OAL 2.200. Very accurate and they trash Foxes :good:

In 20 yrs of reloading, and buying components, I have never had any component put on my FAC.

You need a condition on your FAC to purchase expanding ammunition. This condition also allows you to purchase expanding heads. There is no legal requirement to keep the number of heads to the same level as the ammunition allowed on your FAC.

I buy in bulk and never buy less than a thousand expanding heads at each time. I show my FAC, and take the heads. The heads are not entered on my FAC.

As long as you only make up as many rounds as you are legally allowed to possess, you are fine

Big thing to watch for is if you do not have expanding on your FAC. Its very easy to end up losing your FAC for something as silly as owning a bullet key ring if it was manufactured before 1997!

But, as with ALL firearms related questions, you are always best to ring your FLO and ask. The problem is all firearms licensing dept interpret the law (actually, its the H.O guidance they are interpreting most of the time!) differently. While they might be wrong, you will usually come off worst. Following advice from forums is very similar, we all have different FLD's and different interpretations of the guidance.

get on the phone! :good:

Edited by manc-munsters

Manc is dead right.

The question of does an unloaded expanding bullet count as "ammo" is a grey area and different police authorities are interpreting it differently. Similarly, the instructions issued to the dealers in different area differ for the same reasons.

Worst case scenario is expanding bullets are treated in every way the same as if you were buying live ammo and you are expected to keep the unloaded bullets in your safe. Quantities as per your ammo allowance.

To be honest, I can see absolutely no requirement in law to justify this interpretation but recognise that it seems to be gaining ground in some parts of the country.

The same police authorities that do this often require the dealers to see your firearms certificate before he can sell you primers. While I can see the sense in this it is not law and never has been. I have never been asked to show my firearms certificate when buying primers.

Now the same practice is creeping in to the buying of powder. Its a form of control by stealth.

Edited by Vince Green

Cheers for help...in the meantime just purchased 20 winchester super X at 15 quid for 20 bangs..should see the barrel ran in and zero checked before i attempt to reduce the fox population on the land....amazes me the differing view on gun laws in seperate parts of the same country....

Funnily enough, just last week I was asked to show my FAC in order to by 3kg of Viht 140's.

After much debate with the shop owner, a call was made to the FLD. The dept told the owner there was no need to show an FAC for nitro powder and arranged to visit the shop to "clarify" where the owner got his information from.

I showed my FAC, my SGC, my Exp Cert, my RCA, my NRA RCO, my NRA HE RCO, my MLAGB RCO and my range competency card (all kept in the same wallet), waited for him to till up the £186, and then told him where to stick the nitro and left empty handed.

All this from a shop owner who had all his certificates revoked a few years ago for threatening someone with a shotgun!

Needless to say, the shop has now lost a lot of business.

Thanks Rick for that, its a perfect example of how these things get cranked up and it all works against us eventually. Primers and powder are not controlled by any law whatsoever. I could legally send my thirteen year old son out to buy some for me if I was too busy to go myself. My friend who lives in rural Wales buys his mail order because it saves him an 80 mile round trip.

• 11 years later...

You can buy primers for shotgun shells but you can’t buy primers for metal cased cartridges unless you hold the required calibre & type on you're cert. as am exactly if u are self loading shells for a shotgun no trouble, but if you want primers or bullet heads for say a 9x19 mm you need to habe that on you’re FAC. I’m not sure if you can buy the reloading powder for such ammo, it seems different shops have different ideas. I myself have not attempted it yet. 

Who dug this thread up?

To clarify,

No SGC/FAC needed to buy bullets (yes bullets, only the Americans call them "heads")

No SGC/FAC needed to purchase reloading (Nitrocellulose) powder but you may be asked to show one. 

For "Black Powder" you will need to possess an "Explosives License".

There are storage limits on how much powder you can hold as well as specific storage requirements for "black powder" (wooden box sealed with an intumescent strip and chained to the building fabric)

http://www.hse.gov.uk/explosives/licensing/storage/

Primers, for metallic cartridges, as used in rifles/long barreled pistols etc. you need to hold an FAC.   There's no requirement for these to be calibre specific, several cartridges come in both small and large primer versions nowadays.

For shotgun primers while you may not need to possess an SGC you may be asked to produce one before purchasing.

1 minute ago, phaedra1106 said:

Who dug this thread up?

To clarify,

No SGC/FAC needed to buy bullets (yes bullets, only the Americans call them "heads")

No SGC/FAC needed to purchase reloading (Nitrocellulose) powder but you may be asked to show one. 

For "Black Powder" you will need to possess an "Explosives License".

There are storage limits on how much powder you can hold as well as specific storage requirements for "black powder" (wooden box sealed with an intumescent strip and chained to the building fabric)

http://www.hse.gov.uk/explosives/licensing/storage/

Primers, for metallic cartridges, as used in rifles/long barreled pistols etc. you need to hold an FAC.   There's no requirement for these to be calibre specific, several cartridges come in both small and large primer versions nowadays.

For shotgun primers while you may not need to possess an SGC you may be asked to produce one before purchasing.

A NEW Member!:rolleyes:

Heads do not go on license they are not classed as bullets until they are made up into a complete round so you can 50 complete rounds and still have 50 heads and they don’t need to be locked un like made up rounds that have to be locked in safe 

Just seen that it’s 11 years old post

Edited by snow white