Caesar Guerini stock splitting.

Peter De La Mare

I'm on my 2nd Caesar Guerini and on both of them the stock has split.

The split starts right under the lever where the action has that little 'indent' into the stock. It's split here on both the Guns I've had.

It's it just me, or is this more common? I'm absolutely gutted, as I love these guns, and particularly the one I have at the moment. I'm hoping a good Gunsmith can repair it before it gets too bad.

I don't think it's anything I'm doing. The Lanber and two Brownings I owned previously never suffered anything like this, and I'm not doing anything different. I can't help but think that the tiny little piece of the action that protrudes into the stock creates a weak spot that a lot of use tends to break.

I've had similar problems with a Beretta 682 gold E and a 682 Gold E Ltd.

The 1st straight out of the box.

The 2nd a couple of weeks after ownership, a blister appeared in the side of the stock, which 'popped' leaving a split which sounded hollow when tapped.

On closer inspection it was apparent the hole bored in the stock to connect it to the action was some what off centre and had been rebored correctly.

A chap I know use to work for *** and told me the stockers at main gun makers throw nothing away lol.

Sadly quality control seems to take a back seat nowadays!!!

D.

Essex Gun are going to sort it out for me. It's barely noticable, just a very faint line around 10mm long that is visible in the right light, but it'll get bigger in time.

I'm switching to 21/24 gram carts until I get it back to them next Monday. I presume the smithy will just stick a screw through it from the inside or something, but I'm assured I'll not be able to see or feel anything other than how it left the factory.

Peter,

Once wood has split you cannot stop it. You can screw it or glue it. but unless you remove the reason why it is splitting it will always split.

If this is the second one to go then there is obviously a design issue there somewhere. Personally I would not be happy with a repair, the gun should be either exchanged or at least restocked.

I hear you. :good:

Reason I believe, from what I've read in America, is that the stupid bit of design where there's a tiny half circle indent in where the stock meets the action creates a weak spot, and if the stock bolt is done up too tight can put stress on this little indent and then cause a crack with lots of use.

Guerini UK said the same to EG when the first one did the same I found out this morning.

So, the plan is to repair the tiny (almost invisible) split, and modify/relieve the wood that sits in this indent a little so there's no pressure on it. I'll get a pic of it, that'll make a little more sense.

I really don't want to swap this stock.

Edited by Peter De La Mare

• 2 weeks later...

hello mate i had to make myself a member just to reply to this thread, i to have a maxum and after 200shots mine is doing the same bumping up but no splits like yours but im now worried that mine will split also!!!

Therefore can you please tell me who is doing this relieving of the stock on your gun is it through guerini warranty or are you paying a private gunsmith?

hello mate i had to make myself a member just to reply to this thread, i to have a maxum and after 200shots mine is doing the same bumping up but no splits like yours but im now worried that mine will split also!!!

Therefore can you please tell me who is doing this relieving of the stock on your gun is it through guerini warranty or are you paying a private gunsmith?

Sorry for the tardy response. I hadn't read your post until just now. :oops:

It was done by Essex Gun, who I believe send it to Jim at Orset Gun. There was no cost to me.

The stock needed to be 're-headed' (new term I learned today) where it meets the action. I'd take it back to the RFD who sold it to you and state your case.

Let us know what happens. :lol:

Peter - thanks for the update. I have had a fair number of guns, mainly Browning, but bought a 32" Trap Guerini recently. Handles far better than my XT Brownings, Miroku or Beretta 682E. I get on well with it - any losses are due to pilot error.

I was getting a bit twitchy when reading your posts.

See you should have bought an F3, they balance correctly to start with and if they don't they already have the weights in the stock to shift the balance.

Oh,

And I can't remember my stock splitting :lol:

Your didn't go rusty then? You were lucky. :hmm: Can you see the rib posts poking through the bore? :lol: You must have a later one, as the early ones were quite problematic.

Mung has had a couple of issues with his last year, there'll always be a few examples of problems in any marque. Essex Gun has a K80 in stock for only £4995 as there's quite an ugly repair right across the grip where the stock split. Are you saying that Krieghoffs are junk as well? :good::hmm:

Oh, the nuts and bolts are obviously temporary until the lead goes in at the Smiths'.

Edited by Peter De La Mare