Rust on Gun

ferretmanabu

I have found a small patch on my barrel and on my trigger where the gun appears to have started rusting. It is a Mossberg Maverick pump action with all black finish and I think the problem is due to the gun being out in the wet last weekend. I put it back in the gun fleece and cleaned it as soon as I got home but it had already started rusting. Is there anything I can do to stop it spreading? Thanks in advance.

This happens alot when you put your gun back into a damp slip. As has been advised wire wool is the best way but dont go OTT. Use an oil to try and repel the water, but not along the rib of the gun other wise it will bead and make it very difficult to see where you are shooting.

Gibby

• 2 weeks later...

Use VP90 at your peril. I used to use this stuff until it was pointed out to me that the active ingredient was something called cyclohexylamine benzoate. I was told to look at a UN & WHO website on chemicals which says do not go near this stuff. see link:

www.inchem.org/documents/icsc/icsc/eics0245.htm

Heard a similar thing about 'Vapour Phase' products from a mate in the arms industry - the German Military has banned them because they are too dangerous to use without protective clothing and breathing kit. The US military is doing the same, yet under some absurd Euro diktat these things are allowed to be sold for home use without saying what's in them. In short if your kid or pet eats one of these things, they are screwed.