What 4x4 would you reccomend?

Shabbyshot

I am looking to buy myself a old 4x4 prob M reg onwards. I have been on at my mate for ages to sell me his SWB 2.8 diesel Mitsubishi Pajero (manual). Now as far as I can tell these are as rare as rocking horse **** I will keep on at him, but if I don't get it what would you all suggest? Has to be short wheel base.

SS

Do you know what Pajero in Spanish translated into English is ?

Yeah, yeah! :good::lol:

Anyway, I have a '96 SWB Pajero auto... I must admit, I never even knew there was such a thing as a manual pajero! :lol:

Mine has 75k (part of that is Km's part miles, so actually less than it looks!) on the clock and is in very tidy condition. I have just finished working my way through a few bits and pieces that needed doing (fuel pump seals was one - well known issue with the 2.8) and now absolutely everything works on it.

Anyway, if it is in good order and has been well maintained then I can recommend the pajero. Ok, sure there are better offroaders out there, and there are better drivers cars etc, but as a budget 4x4 the Pajero does everything I ask of it. I don't go purposefully 'mud plugging' but I have yet to get stuck in normal shooting related offroad usage with general grabber AT2 tyres on and on Saturday I used it to drag a tree stump out that our shoot's series 2 landy simply couldn't shift.

The *only* downside for me is the fuel economy. 25mpg, tops. And it doesn't seem to matter how I am driving, or even if I am towing a boat. 25 mpg tops, period! :D

It would only be light off road work nothing major. The manuals are very rare. My mate has two of them which he had imported some years back and have been well looked after. He paid top money for them about 7 years ago, he just can't bring himself to part with one!! Some 2.5 manuals about but no 2.8's

Just looked up the translation :good: Some people have prob called me that in the past and my mate is one for not selling it to me!

Edited by Shabbyshot

Dunno if you shoot fac or sgc but the door mirrors are perfick for resting a rifle in the gap between them and the door if you fill the void with a piece of foam or build it up with a towel or scarf. It affords a brilliant totally rested lofty position with your arm resting on the door and rifle looking directly ahead.... to the lit up area of your headlights.

Be advised though that this will result in lots of success - which translates into "rapidly overshooting" if you need to conserve bunnies.

Edited by Dave-G

Daihatsu fourtrack. Great shooting waggons just watch out for 'tin worm' though.

+1 for the "rocky" (what the Japs call the fourtrack!)

OR

SWB landy.

One is presuming that you will visiting places that have mud in them (so other than supermarket carparks) these two are the best off road by long way.

If you need a bit more comfort or gadgets - Jeep Cherokee.

Edited by The Burpster

If you need a bit more comfort or gadgets - Jeep Cherokee.

No, no, no. That's all wrong. Who's ever seen a Jeep off road?

Get a Fourtrack or a Shogun. I drive Landies old and new, which go anywhere, but are spectacularly expensive to maintain and repair. My neighbour, another farmer, runs a Fourtrack, a significantly more reliable wagon.

No, no, no. That's all wrong. Who's ever seen a Jeep off road?

Get a Fourtrack or a Shogun. I drive Landies old and new, which go anywhere, but are spectacularly expensive to maintain and repair. My neighbour, another farmer, runs a Fourtrack, a significantly more reliable wagon.

Very true :lol: My old fourtrack only needed a new battery and front pads in 2 years. I loved that old waggon :lol: Got a td5 now fingers crossed its running great!!

I got a vauxhall frontera 2.0i sport its a great shooting wagon good off road the roof removes so you can shoot out the top we use it alot for bunny bashing plus there cheap to pick up and parts are easy to get hold of!! :lol:

me too, and even though i did get it stuck the other night, i love it - the removable roof is sooooo bloody handy.