series II handbrake locked on

ME

I part-own a 1973 Series II Landy which is only used in the summer.

I went to it yesterday to get it going for the summer and one of the other doughnuts that uses it left the handbrake on all summer resulting in it seizing on.

From a few Google searches I have found that the handbrakes on these Landys use an axle brake that is located under the centre seat / cubby box.

Has anyone else ever had to free one of these up or had a similar problem ?

I plan to take a BIG hammer and some WD40 down there this week ! :good:

Any other suggestions would be welcomed !

The handbrake mechanism is similar to a drum brake and is located just behind the gearbox. It should free off with a clout from a hammer but if it doesnt then slacken off the adjuster (like a nut on the back plate) and pull off the drum. You can do this without undoing the prop.

Which bit is seized? the handbrake lever, push button in but to stiff to move lever up and down, or the handbrake shoes, lever moves but handbrake is still binding / stuck solid wont move.

If it's the lever check out the pivot point where the lever meets the chassis and the pivot point lower down below the lever, wd 40 is a must on both, you'll have to get underneath while a mate works the lever to see whats what, look up between the handbrake drum located at the rear of the gear / transfer box and the drivers side chassis to see the pivots, if it's the drum try ringing around the drum with a hammer, not to hard mind, with the handbrake off, either way chock the wheels so it can't roll off and squish you :D

:good:

Will it crack off if you put it in low and try pulling away?

It worked with a Morris Minor but may not work with a landy and that setup though

The battery is flat so we had a go at bump / tow starting it which just resulted in two 40ft long furrows and no freeing up of the rear wheels. The battery is going to be charged this weekend so hopefully if we can get it moving then the "cracking one off" option might work.

The handbrake will go up and down so it sounds like the brake shoes are seized on in the drum.

I am not a mechanical person but if anything needs "hammering" then I can operate a hammer - as long as its a right-handed one ! :good::D

Thanks for all the replies and the PM from LB :balloon:

Went down there to work on it yesterday.

The centre hub / axle brake was already free.

One of the rear brakes had seized on - probably due to salt water. I jacked it up and after a few taps with the club hammer it freed up.

I was gonna take it on a long run, but something has happened to the brakes. They work, but the pedal only gets pressure after 3 pumps of the pedal and as soon and you accelerate it loses the pressure again. Being boating people it was suggested that we just use an anchor and chain to stop ! :birthday: