winch

JDFrain

From memory I think some of the challenge winches are hydraulic so you have a pump on the PTO and then hydraulic pipes out to the winch. Only ever seen them fitted , never fitted one.

I would go for an electric one, easy to fit and easy to use.

i agree with that, you usually winch out backwards, i am planning to make a winch that is move able and attaches onto a tow ball so you can move it from front to back, and also it being electric i guess it will last longer if you store it in the garage or even in the back of the car. Also much easier to set up electric, If i were you i would go for a high quality secound hand one that has been looked after fairly well and not bashed around, not a cheap ****** copy because i guess it will break and harder to get parts to fix it, good luck

well think the decision could be made, As i need a new rear crossmember on my 90. i have found a rear crossmember designed with an area for a winch which seems to be completely covered. Devon 4x4 are doing them only cost an extra £100 compared to the price of a crossmember.

post-7404-1237504546.jpg

john

Make it detachable so you can move it wherever you want. Most people front mount them, which is odd. I've only ever been winched out backwards - I want to get OUT of the mess, not further INTO it! :D

I've neither a 4x4 or a winch but that's a sensible statement if ever I heard one. If you've driven into trouble it makes sense to back out of it, and better again to be able to move the winch about.

I've neither a 4x4 or a winch but that's a sensible statement if ever I heard one. If you've driven into trouble it makes sense to back out of it, and better again to be able to move the winch about.

not so sure - if you are going somewhere, and there is no way back or to turn around then really you want the winch to drag you through the blockage (usually thick mud) or you are just going to end up taking loads of run ups to it in order to try and get by.

Moving it about is a good idea, but winches tend to be quite heavy and bulky (a 9000lb superwinch for example weighs nearly 50KG) and that is quite a lot of weight to carry around if you are up to your thighs in mud.

all things you want to consider when fitting your winch! :D

Tirfior 508 and cable, snatch block, shackles, ropes, sling and two ground anchors.

Ive never needed anything else farr more versatile than a vehicle winch and lighter, my tirfior is alo regularly used to tension stockfencing and to pull leaners and hang ups when tree felling.

Imo unless you off road daily or in competions your farr better with a tirfor unless you want the visual of a big winch on your truck!

Edited by paulf

well think the decision could be made, As i need a new rear crossmember on my 90. i have found a rear crossmember designed with an area for a winch which seems to be completely covered. Devon 4x4 are doing them only cost an extra £100 compared to the price of a crossmember.

post-7404-1237504546.jpg

john

John,

You'd best call Devon first. The crossmember in your picture is for a "high mount" winch which I doubt is what you want and also the most expensive. If you can get through to Tim or Simon, ask about a crossmember for a low line winch. They will also be very competitive on the winch itself however, mostly Warn products.

Personally, I think a demountable would suit you best of all on a 2" receiver with long cables and an Anderson plug.

All the best

James