Whistles

DIGIMAN

Probably not,

I was told that a 211.5 was too higher pitch for a spaniel and should use a 210.5. 211.5 and 212.5 are used for labs etc that work further away.

I have always used a 210.5 but I am sure that if I had started training with a 211.5 then that would work just as well.

Yes, its all to do with the dogs ear channels. spaniels 210.5 , labs 211.5. you can go one different and go 210 for spaniel and 211 for lab etc, but the latter is what has always worked for me. (I have had gun dogs all my life, so this isn't a novice opinion).

But each to their own! i dare say everyone has their own opinions.......

Yes, its all to do with the dogs ear channels, the depth of the ear channels vary between breeds, hence the effectiveness of different pitches of whistle........If it didn't make a difference what tone the whistle is, why are there so many different tones???

Obviously, there are many different conclusions in this thread about what whistle to use, and yes, you can train a dog to most whistle tones, but for the whistle to work to ints optimum, you need the correct pitch.

I use two different whistles 1 for each dog. both mine are Springers and 1 is on a 210.5 and the other 211.5 and it seems to work.

Cheers :good:

I did this on a pair of Labs I trained myself and could stop and redirect either of them quite easily.

Non dogmen were always amazed on shoots to see them working with so little effort from me..... yes I was extremely chuffed with them.

Rgds D2D.

a hearing volume on a spaniel is higher than a lab or hpr i was once told many moons ago which is y i use a lower toned whistle but thats just me

this maybe like the one the experts said dogs can only see in black and white or that the only see in two dimension,

You can only take it as you find it and in my opinion and experience it doesn't matter .

My dogs are both on a 212 acme

This maybe an old one but does it really matter what ACME whistle you use??

Thanks to DIGIMAN and not giving it much thought until his post, I ordered a pair of 210.5 whistles from 'thegundogclub' (very reasonable...2 delivered for under a tenner and turned up next day/today)! to try with the GSP...I was using a 212 previously and have been for some time. This whistle certainly seems to get her attention quicker and is much easier to blow. Like I said I hadn't given it much thought.......you live and learn.

Just had a look at Ted's whistle (dammit, it hangs round my neck 24/7 like a ******* dogtag) and it's a 211 1/2.

I did have a 210 1/2, but when I sent him off to school, the trainer got him used to the other tone, so I moved to it. He seems to respond better to the 211 1/2 than the 210 1/2 though, I think it travels further.

i have never really thought about it, til now, i work my springers with a 210 1/2 and it was the same whistle i used when i had a lab, never put much thought into it before but have a lab coming so no i starting to think which is never a good thing! :good: