UK Grand Masters

tosspot

I can't remember what the others scores were, but I was reeeely grate and was crowned the daddy with an 80 and a 58.

The second leg crippled everyone apart from Tosspot who did a 71 on the second leg. Can't remember what he did on the first leg but it was on the Julian Clary side.

Is that a typo.....:P?

It can't be a 58...??????? :D;);):lol::yes::lol:

After all of the hype that Mung's been dishing out over the last few days, I thought he'd put me under a bit of pressure, but clearly 'twas not to be....(again)......(sighs heavily).

Ah well, I suppose it's back to the straw balers on Sunday to duff up the Boy Scouts and the Young Farmers again, 'cos 58's aren't too good for the ego..???

Anyway, well shot to everybody, glad you had a good day out, I'm looking forward to shooting it on Sunday.

Cat.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cat, I think you may be slightly disappointed if you were expecting something new. Don't get me wrong, the targets are still technical, rangey and can provoke one into over leading, but, it's more or less indentical to last year. Exactly the same bits of land as well, and the same stand locations.

The 100 birds along the country lane were actually quite samey save for a couple of stands. Long range loopers then a crosser from the opposite side. 2 bunnies and 2 teals.

Tosspot scored a 61 and a 71. I did 64 and 50...... ya, I know... :lol: If it was 150 birds I might have been high gun :D Shame about the last 50. :yes:;)

Nick should be back in Manucian land shortly. I didn't get his result for the valley, he got 47 on the lane. Didn't fancy the poor chap's drive back. It was bad enough just getting back to East London, the M25 being very slow indeed. I heard there were 20 mile tailbacks on the north side of the QE2 as well. :lol:

Peter,

You must be mistaken, our illustious orange skinned friend assured everyone before the event that his mate Cheryl/Dave was using a different valley that only animals had existed in before this week. You couldn't possibly have shot the same birds on the same ground, that would just lack imagination as does making everything a looper or out at range.

I very nearly came down today to shoot with you all, I am bloody glad I went to Braintree now.

You shudda joined us, we had a laaarrfff..... especially when Mung found that he'd been laying on a mutant ants nest for 30 mins whilst waiting for a stand. :lol:

Had a few longish waits for trap issues though :lol:

Oh, Mung also added a new excuse to the bottomless Shooters' Book of Excuses. It's 'You cost me 4 targets by making the stand bounce and therefore my barrels were vibrating' :D

Looking forward to next year's event now :yes:

Edited by Peter De La Mare

It was well organised then?

I would have lost the will to liveif I had to wait that long at a stand. At least Mungler let you lay there for half an hour. Good lad :yes::lol: :lol:

Can someone who lives near Catamong go around and wake him up, he has been posting for ages. Either that or he is writing his memoirs

Edited by MC

Cat, I think you may be slightly disappointed if you were expecting something new. Don't get me wrong, the targets are still technical, rangey and can provoke one into over leading, but, it's more or less indentical to last year. Exactly the same bits of land as well, and the same stand locations.

The 100 birds along the country lane were actually quite samey save for a couple of stands. Long range loopers then a crosser from the opposite side. 2 bunnies and 2 teals.

Tosspot scored a 61 and a 71. I did 64 and 50...... ya, I know... :lol: If it was 150 birds I might have been high gun ;) Shame about the last 50. :lol::P

Nick should be back in Manucian land shortly. I didn't get his result for the valley, he got 47 on the lane. Didn't fancy the poor chap's drive back. It was bad enough just getting back to East London, the M25 being very slow indeed. I heard there were 20 mile tailbacks on the north side of the QE2 as well. :D

Well, I was told to expect "quality targets", I'll be a bit disappointed if it's a re-run of last years shoot.

I think Daves original plan was to use an adjacent area of "virgin" land.

That obviously went out of the window when he was given the Clayshooting Classic to run, which he's hosting down there in a couple of weeks time, and he's obviously chosen the Classic over this shoot for the new ground, which is a bit of a disappointment.

I won't be shooting the Classic this year, at £81 entry fee for 150 birds it's a bit of a Mickey take, even I'm not that much of a mug.

Young Nick's got real dedication, he'll go far in the sport if he sticks with it, I shot with him at Southdown a few weeks back and all of the basics were there, he shot very steady. :yes:

I just can't get over that 58.............in the words of Sir Alan Sugar in "The Apprentice".............."A total mess...!!!!!!!" ;)

Cat.

Oh right it was Cheryls original idea to use virgin land! Jackanory tell us another one. Seems like another ground owner who is cashing in on the success of the Essex Masters format and now can't be ***** to use some imagination to set up an original shoot.

"What shall we do on stand 10 guys?"

"Just do the same as stand 9 Cheryl, by the time the riff raff have waited half an hour to shoot They'll have forgotten all about the last stand"

Edited by MC

TP .. thanks for arranging the day... It was great to meet Mung, PDLM and Nicky, it was an enjoyable shoot. Although I would like to forget 3 stands on the afternoon round, one day I might figure out how to hit them.

TP, Mung, PDLM & Nicky, thanks for an enjoyable day ...

A.

Literally just got back - the journey home was nearly as nasty as some of the crossers I missed today!

Dropped the ball scorewise today with a rather lacking 47&43 respectively on the "lane" and "hell" layouts - no excuses just did not shoot well AT ALL!

Despite the cacky poo score it was still a worthwhile experience and great to meet Tosspot, Mungler,PDLM and Andy :lol:

Time to sleep now as I'm cream crackered - good luck to anyone else shooting the Masters this weekend :yes:

TP .. thanks for arranging the day... It was great to meet Mung, PDLM and Nicky, it was an enjoyable shoot. Although I would like to forget 3 stands on the afternoon round, one day I might figure out how to hit them.

TP, Mung, PDLM & Nicky, thanks for an enjoyable day ...

A.

Ah, Hi Andy. I was under the impression that you weren't a member of PW. Nice to meet you today. :lol:

NickyT has the right attitude and set up / stance and will be very good in years time (shoots like a younger Broken Man). Mind you, lose the white framed glasses, it makes you look like Timmy Mallet. Oh and ditch the fibrewads.

This Broken Man sound like a good guy :lol: The White glasses are staying put for now. Definitely agree with you on the fibrewads though :yes:

How did Nicky do.

He will be great shot soon

Sorry Chris - I let you down today. Will make ammends next time I shoot :lol:

Cat, I await your scores with interest.

I would expect a monster score from you, given that this is your "unchanged" local.

As a tip, you might want to wind your neck in until you have shot it. Mind you, the disappearing score card trick is quite the thing for you down at Southdown I am hearing :lol:

This Broken Man sound like a good guy :lol: The White glasses are staying put for now. Definitely agree with you on the fibrewads though :D

Sorry Chris - I let you down today. Will make ammends next time I shoot ;)

Nicky you went down there and had a go :lol: . I salute you :yes:

I expect it was shooting against me at Doveridge that shattered his spirit and resolve.

Understandable, really :o :lol::P:good: ^_^ :lol::yes:

Yeah probs was, and it was'nt your shooting prowess that caused that. :lol:

Edited by annihilator

Cat, I await your scores with interest.

I would expect a monster score from you,

Well, I'm never one to disappoint, we started on the Red (Lane) layout, I had a complete doomer on the very first stand, (No 9), missed 3 out of 4 orange L/R quartering away into a field of rape, so 1 stand shot, 3 birds down. :lol::lol::lol:

Gave myself a stiff talking to, then straighted the next 4 stands, (including No 12, a very long R/L midi off a cherry picker by the barn), so by this time, the confidence had returned, and things were going well. Missed the odd couple here and there, but still managed to grind out an 86, could have been a lot worse after such a mediocre start, and for Mungs benefit, (who seems to love the numbers game, :D ), only 4 birds behind Digweed, who did a 90. :lol: Young Scott Greenfield from Essex did an 89.

My Mate Martin did a very fine 92 on our squad, and the verdict of everybody on our squad, (all good shots), was that it was a very good round of clays.

Met up with a Mate of tosspots, (Frank), who seemed to be enjoying himself, shooting very steady. :lol:

Devoured a rather uninspiring French Stick stuffed with roast pork for lunch, then back out at 1.00pm to shoot the other layout. Transport over there was a bit hairy, loads of flatbed buggies ferrying shooters over there, the Health & Safety boys would have had a field day as everybody was hanging on for grim death amidst clouds of chalk dust thrown up by the wheels. ???

Having studied the scores in the clubhouse, it was pretty clear that the afternoon layout was about 10 birds harder than the morning layout, and so it proved to be for most. ???

Some very testing targets, but nothing out of range, every target could have been killed comfortably with 1/4 choke, (I shot 1/4 & 3/8) on every stand with Hull Sovereign 8's, (couldn't be bothered to change), missed one on the first stand, then had a doomer on a R/L simmo pair of standard & battue, I had the perfect game plan, shoot the faster battue first, then the slower, (easier..??) standard, but it didn't work out like that and I came off there 4 birds down. :lol:

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I finished on a 78, not brilliant, but, (for Mungs benefit :yes: ), only 7 birds behind Digweed. My total for the day being 164.

My mate Martin, (who shot so well in the morning), also could only do a 78, it was a real tough course, but, again we all agreed a very fair round of clays.

The gorgeous sunny weather was a real bonus, (Hey MC, I'm even more orange now :lol::yes: ), Cheryl's shooting it tomorrow, I reckon she could shoot a seriously good score.

Well done to all who shot it, (including Mung - it's nice to play with the big boys once a year..eh??) :lol:

Cat.

Edited by Catamong

Cheers Beretta, I'm just getting into shooting a new gun, a 31" Gamba, (handles sooooo differently to my old 28" 682), it's a bit steadier on the long stuff, but it's nice when you get a half sensible result now and again.

When are we going to see you back on the circuit..??

Cat.

Cheers Beretta, I'm just getting into shooting a new gun, a 31" Gamba, (handles sooooo differently to my old 28" 682), it's a bit steadier on the long stuff, but it's nice when you get a half sensible result now and again.

When are we going to see you back on the circuit..??

Cat.

I'm just finalising his training. He should be ready soon, he's coming along nicely :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo: