Reloading

I notice a few people on here reload shotgun carts and more of you reload rifle cases. I own a shotgun and find as long as you don't want the top makes they are fairly cheap to buy. However I don't own a rifle so have no idea what they cost.

So is it just due to cost of ammo or do you find other benefits from reloading?

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I have no idea about reloading.

SS

I reload rifle ammo. It can save money if you shoot a lot but the cost of set up means you have to get through a lot of rounds. I reload for accuracy. The best factory load will never come close to a home load unless you are really lucky. A rifle that will group 1.5" at 100 with factory will more than likely do .75 or better with a custom load.

i have just started to get into reloading carts, i know i will not save much if any money, but since looking into the world of carts and the make-up has given me a wealth of info, and i will be able to make the cart that i like and the joy of using it.

Fister,

Sorry mate, but it would appear that you may not be involved in the homeloading of non toxic shot. It`s a complex subject and would take too long to explain in detail here.

Very briefly, the CIP regulations for factory loaded steel shot are quite restrictive and it is only in recent years with the development of new types of powder that the performance of factory loaded steel cartridges has reached an acceptable level.

With SUITABLY PROOFED GUNS and TESTED LOADING FORMULAE it is perfectly possible to load outside the CIP restrictions, but WITHIN THE GUNS PROOF PRESSURES, to produce very effective steel loads.

Thousands of wildfowlers do this with complete safety.

I was certainly not advocating loading random and excessive quantities of powder and shot and then just hoping that the gun would`nt blow up!

In order to best answer that question might I suggest that you telephone BASC and speak to Dr. John Harradine who will explain the whole thing more succinctly than I can.

It really is very complex technically.

You might also have a look at the Clay Game Reloaders website which will confirm that loading non toxic cartridges is a popular, and safe, way of producing effective non lead cartridges.

Same as mudpatten, i can load non toxic shot (steel/hevi/bismuth) to published data, to produce faster loads than you can purchase from over the counter.

With steel its speed that kills at greater distances, so you try to produce a load of 1500fps that will still keep your pattern together.

Factory loads will be in the 1200fps range, (cip rules) with it going slow the penetration drops off quicker.

All loads are repeated from loading manuals of tested data.

I also reload for my rifles, it produces better group size and you get more versitility on which bullet you want to shoot,

my .223 has a 1-9 twist barrel, my most accurate load is with a 75gn bullet,

i dont think you can buy factory loads with a 75gn ballistic tip, so i load my own.

But why dont the manufacturers do it?

unfortunately manufacturers are limited by the government through the CIP regulations, in real terms this means not faster than 1400fps, strangely though it didnt apply to all bores, it may do now though. only 12b originally.

super fast home loaded steel are better than lead IMO, stuff shot with steel shot with a MV of over 16-1800fps stays dead, much less runners than with lead shot loads, ive developed 10g loads of "T" steel doing upper 1600's 3" #1 steel 12b loads doing 1625 fps and a 1oz 23/4" load of#3 doing 1800fps, you could never buy shells like these, all are well within safe pressure limits, none of them produce over 900mp

mikee

Edited by mikee

• 2 weeks later...