The best "all round" 4X4

mark12345

in all the real $WD areas over here in AU 8/10 are landcruisers

"The REST" make up the other 2/10

Landrover and range rovers- ha

the most they ever see offroad over here is if the race course car park gets a bit muddy or they have to drive through road works

an unmade road over here and any of the rover brands turn up there tails and fall over

P

Edited by ogre6br

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any 4x4 is only as good as it’s driver, I have seen a few people on shoots with there different types of 4x4s, shouting the odds about there 4x4 and how good it is and where it will go, then we set off and the first muddy field we come to and 4 out of five drivers lose it, like any tool if you don’t know how to use it your wasting your time.

Range Rover for me.

Toyota Hilux for me. Had four over the last 18 years. A total of over 525,000 miles and collectively I have had:

1 set of propshaft uj's

1 starter motor

2 rear leaf springs

1 cigar lighter!

The present one is an hl3 2.5 diesel and you cannot get it below 30mpg, and on a trip to southern eire last year it averaged 39mpg 4 up with a bootfull of gear. Its quiet, extremely comfortable, with a superb ride, oh and sexy looking IMO! Can't ask for more

Edited by turbo33

• 1 month later...
izuzu trooper 3.1

never heard a bad word abought one and there mint offroad

Seconded.

Had mine 2 years and it is FULLY LADEN every weekend, with ALL my gear including the kitchen sink. and dog and dog-cage.

Plenty of room, elevated view, cracking turning circle and the only time it got stuck was when driven by a mate of mine (who buried it up to the footplates).

:yes:

Dave K

I think the biggest trade off is not between offroad and onroad performance, it's offroad ability and size that matters.

Most SWB models will go to places that a LWB won't when it comes to muddy ground.

A Landrover 90 with a good set of mud tyres on will compeat with anything else on the market, but it's not much use for an airport run!!

Mark.

I would say by far the Defender is the best 4x4xfar.

None of this Rage Rover Sport sh * t for gold diggas.

But If you pushed you budged the Defender Bowler Wild Cat will send everything else to pot.

bowler-wildcat-jump.jpg

Edited by Evoss

• 1 month later...

had my m plate disco for 4yrs now

it's gone through every mot to date bar 1 where it needed £60 worth of welding doing

have just put a new fuel return pipe on at £23

the only oil leak it had was a faulty part, and thats now been changed

oh and an alternater

not bad for a 15-16yr old car thats on 168000m

disco's, I just love em.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Happy as I am with my Outback given the choice and a deeper wallet I'd have a 96 Range Rover Vogue SE especially the Holland and Holland the last before the change to the P38 I miss my Rangie :P much better on the really rough tracks in the Peak District :good:

Have just picked up a '94 Fourtrak Independent. 2 owners/125k miles/spotless inside and out/12mths ticket - £900. Have been down a few tracks, but nothing taxing to be honest. Great for pootling about on road as well.

Have a Lotus Elise for road performance.....but its not been out of the garage since the Fourtrak arrived (well, the weather has been cack!)

• 5 months later...

Toyota Land Cruiser would be my choice.

A Disco would be nice, but their reputation for breaking down and being expensive to fix is just hideous. Anyone I have spoken to who owns them has put me off ever owning one. We actually wanted to buy a Discovery 3 (new model) the last time we changed our 4x4 but ended up with another Land Cruiser having done some research on the subject. LC5 with all the toys - leather, nav, air suspension etc. Tows very well and seems good off road.

We had the older Land Cruiser Colorado before (D4D) and it was also excellent and would fall well within your price range :hmm:

basically most the older engines were 2.5 or 2.8. the newer model shoguns use the 3.2 did engine. either the 2.5 or 2.8 are good tough reliable engines. a lot of the did`s are giving trouble with fly wheels.i bought an 06 trojan with the 2.5 engine.not the quickest jeep by any means but i really like it.if the engine gives me half the service my fathers farm jeep gave him i will be well pleased.

Have to disagree here, we had a Pajero (Shogun import) 2.5td and it was without doubt the worst vehicle we have ever owned. It was extremely sluggish and underpowered which made it a nightmare to tow with and also sore on diesel. It also took a bit of maintenance and broke a timing belt so I think we had a pretty bad experience, but all the same I'd avoid personally.

Having moved from Mitsi to Toyota we are fully converted! As mentioned above, in Oz nearly all 4x4 are Toyota and I think that says a lot.

Have to disagree here, we had a Pajero (Shogun import) 2.5td and it was without doubt the worst vehicle we have ever owned. It was extremely sluggish and underpowered which made it a nightmare to tow with and also sore on diesel. It also took a bit of maintenance and broke a timing belt so I think we had a pretty bad experience, but all the same I'd avoid personally.

Having moved from Mitsi to Toyota we are fully converted! As mentioned above, in Oz nearly all 4x4 are Toyota and I think that says a lot.

My uncle has a 1995 2.8 Pajero for nearly 3 years, it has a timing chain rather than belt. Never had a days trouble and can tow a lot. Only thing is he bought an absolute minter from a fanatic, he paid good money but it was worth every penny. Maybe he was lucky.