Dog fox during the day

tikkamark

Just thought id share the pic's of this dog fox i shot for a local sheep farmer on Saturday.

3 of my mates were out after this fox on Friday with the terriers but didn't find the fox at home but instead seen him in a patch of rushes well aware of the fact 3 lads with guns and a pack of terriers were after it and it escaped untouched shane-one of the lads rang me that evening and told me about the fox and the exact location the fox was seen in so i said id have a look around the next day with the .223.

I went down there at about 2.30 on Saturday and it was a lovely day with plenty of clear skys and sunshine.After a long walk into the area the fox was seen in the day before i was walking alongside a hedge the far side of the hedge was the boggy rush filled field i passed a gap that opened out into that field and seen a fox no more than 60yrds away looking in the opposite direction lucky it wasn't looking my way as it would have definitely ran off.

I didnt want to take a shoulder shot because im not very accurate with them and i couldn't get a shot from the bipods because of the lay of the land,so the plan was to walk back the direction i came from and up onto a hill overlooking the position the fox was in,this took about 20mins so the fox could have slipped away in that space of time so i glassed the area as best i could through the scope......i seen the foxes back just behind a rock which i ranged to be 110yrds away,the shot still was'nt on because i couldn't see enough of it for a clean kill so i gave a quick low blast of the wooden rabbit call i have and that did the trick the fox stretched out on the rock looking straight at me..... :good: i settled the crosshair on its shoulder and squeezed......spishhhh..THUMP <_<

The fox slumped over without so much as a twitch.The American eagle did its job very well.

I walked off the hill and down to the fox it was a lovely old dog fox in immaculate condition,i rang the farmer and shane and both were delighted i managed to knock that fox because it seemed to have learned every dodgy situation it was in including a lot of lamps id say to.

post-6430-1238021905.jpg

post-6430-1238021942.jpg

post-6430-1238021973.jpg

That first pic is the spot i took the shot from the fox was on the far side of the rushes in the distance.

The second pic is how i found the fox it was stretched out on the rock on the left side of the pic

In the 1st pic below you can see the gap in the hedge just above the moderator thats where i spotted the fox from.

post-6430-1238024020.jpg

post-6430-1238024043.jpg

Edited by tikkamark

Nice dog fox that <_<

They do seem to be more active during the day at the minute.I got a call the other day of one raiding the free range hens at 2 in the afternoon.

Well done

It was a lovely fox alright :good:

Its always worth a walk with the centerfire during the day when other methods fail you can occasionally catch the fox off guard :good:

Nice one Mark, I bet that was just a little bit satisfying :yes:

You wouldn't believe john!I was fit to do a jig round the fox when i got down to him!

well done chap a cracking job, excellent field craft :blink:

Thanks pav :good: Yeah its not just quite as simple during the day time as lamping at night....the hardest part during the day is to find the fox.

Nicely done Mark,good to see your still selective over your choice of shot...just reward for doing so i,d say.Well done mate :lol:

Thanks jeff :no: Yea im still fussy as ever!I wont squeeze the trigger 'till im practically guaranteed a clean kill which sometimes means having a bit of patience!

How are you getting on yourself are you knocking any these days??I'm not doing much lamping wise due to the vixens feeding the cubs,but if a farmers having trouble id help out then.

Thanks to the other lads who replied :lol:

Thanks jeff :good: Yea im still fussy as ever!I wont squeeze the trigger 'till im practically guaranteed a clean kill which sometimes means having a bit of patience!

Patience he says :blink: I remember one particular fox we tracked with the lamp practically all around one field, Shane and myself were nearly gone asleep by the time you decided to shoot it :lol:

:good: fox shooting makes me moist :lol:

:blink: ..... :lol:

Theres something special about foxing during the daytime you have to walk very slowly and be on the lookout the whole time because usually there lying up in cover and you can see very little of them :no: They look magnificant in the scope with the sun shining on them...with the kahles on that tikka you can see every little detail and all the different shades of red through the foxes coat,that dog fox i could clearly see the tired look in its face all from 100+yards!

Patience he says :blink: I remember one particular fox we tracked with the lamp practically all around one field, Shane and myself were nearly gone asleep by the time you decided to shoot it :lol:

The waiting paid off though john :no: You think thats bad you should see me when im on my own with the scopelight,if the fox is content i'll wait a good while until i get an clear shot at the shoulder sometimes that could be 10-15mins :good: Its nice to have a good look at them i find anyway there a lovely animal :lol:

Just thought id share the pic's of this dog fox i shot for a local sheep farmer on Saturday.

3 of my mates were out after this fox on Friday with the terriers but didn't find the fox at home but instead seen him in a patch of rushes well aware of the fact 3 lads with guns and a pack of terriers were after it and it escaped untouched shane-one of the lads rang me that evening and told me about the fox and the exact location the fox was seen in so i said id have a look around the next day with the .223.

I went down there at about 2.30 on Saturday and it was a lovely day with plenty of clear skys and sunshine.After a long walk into the area the fox was seen in the day before i was walking alongside a hedge the far side of the hedge was the boggy rush filled field i passed a gap that opened out into that field and seen a fox no more than 60yrds away looking in the opposite direction lucky it wasn't looking my way as it would have definitely ran off.

I didnt want to take a shoulder shot because im not very accurate with them and i couldn't get a shot from the bipods because of the lay of the land,so the plan was to walk back the direction i came from and up onto a hill overlooking the position the fox was in,this took about 20mins so the fox could have slipped away in that space of time so i glassed the area as best i could through the scope......i seen the foxes back just behind a rock which i ranged to be 110yrds away,the shot still was'nt on because i couldn't see enough of it for a clean kill so i gave a quick low blast of the wooden rabbit call i have and that did the trick the fox stretched out on the rock looking straight at me..... :no: i settled the crosshair on its shoulder and squeezed......spishhhh..THUMP :blink:

The fox slumped over without so much as a twitch.The American eagle did its job very well.

I walked off the hill and down to the fox it was a lovely old dog fox in immaculate condition,i rang the farmer and shane and both were delighted i managed to knock that fox because it seemed to have learned every dodgy situation it was in including a lot of lamps id say to.

you know the way people describe their gun noise? "zooom"...."kaboom"..ect....ect...that is the best gun noise i have heard yet :good::lol:

Top shooting :lol:

Mark,

I normally hate the look what I done to this fox last night, cue picture of fox with head half missing. I found this post to be out of the ordinary "look what I shot" post. It shows your respect for your quarry and more than a little of your field craft.

Well done sir.

TC

Mark,

I normally hate the look what I done to this fox last night, cue picture of fox with head half missing. I found this post to be out of the ordinary "look what I shot" post. It shows your respect for your quarry and more than a little of your field craft.

Well done sir.

TC

Thanks for that tiercel :blush:

Well done Mark :blush: nice to get them in the daylight . If i was being honest my favourite foxing is in the summer evenings on dusk when there mousing on the silage fields a joy to watch :good:

Thanks rob :blush: I love the daytime fox shooting myself :D I was out yesterday evening again and i managed to get another big dog fox this fella was a lot older than the fox in this topic he had a really deep coat and the hair was starting to fall out of his tail he also had very worn down teeth im gonna have to put up a pic or two of that fox when i get the time.I seen another fox on the walk back to the car in the dusk light i really should have had that fox to but it kept moving and i couldn't get the shot......me thinks im gona try that spot again this evening :lol:

Only discovered evening foxing myself this week!!

I was out for a walk the other evening with the misses over some new ground iv got, i wanted to have a quick look before i went out at night.

On reaching the highest part of the land and looking down i seen plenty of rabbits and looks like it could be good deer country too.

anyway, the misses asks "o look, all the rabbits are runnin, we must have scared them"

they were about 150 yards away, a quick look through the binos showed a fox slowly making his way through the rushes and paying no attention to us at all,15/20 seconds later he was in full sprint and tucking into his rabbit. no gun with me but a lovely spot.

iv been back too evenings since and see him once again, next week ill be visiting with the 223 i think and leaving herself behind.