Horses

new to the flock

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

It has been along 48 hours or there abouts. I went out and did chores around 3pm yesterday afternoon and all was well. Went out to check the horses around 6 pm and find Maddy....the Haflinger gelding cast in his stall. I slipped a set of lines on his legs and flip him free only to notice that he has been rolling in his stall in a few other spots aswell, so right away suspect that he has colic and start walking. Well walked until 11pm during which time he was looking not bad with lots of stomack noises, only slight temperature...4'C.....and not trying to lay down often. After 11pm his guts went quiet and he was showing a fare bit of discomfort in the flanks. Called in the vet......if you lot think I am small, this Young Lady is 4' even and thin as a rail........She was out in 15 minutes, gives a pain killer shot and we did a rectal to find a football size impaction.

Well out comes the stomack tube and 2 1/2 litres of oil mixed with some water. Tube in through the nose and oil down the stomack to mix with the blockage. We finished up with 2 litres of fluides via IV, some more exercise and another rectal exam. With the dreaded words "try to have a trailer ready for first thing in the morning and we will take him up to the Veterinary Teaching University." "I dont think he will pass this on his own" off she went to a nice warm bed. My bed consisted of two saddle pads thrown on the barn floor and a blanket over top. Spent the night 1/2 hour rest, 1/2 hour walking with Maddy.

Vet called at 6am to see how he was doing...what can I say alot of gas and lots of stomack noises (both good signs) but no movement of the blockage. With a promise to be there for 10 / 10:30 we hang up. Have a quick cup and then back to walking. 7:15 am rewarded with the biggest greenest most lovliest pile of horse sh...........manure I have ever seen :good: soon followed by two more at 8am and 9:30am. :hmm:

Not entirely out of the woods, but a lot better than we were. The rottonbugger is on a bran mash rashion today with some light exercise and alot of scoldings :lol: Have been up for 52 hours now but should be having a nice long nap in about another 6 or 8 :blush:

Hi mate.

Both my 2 daughters were into horses, show ponies, 12.2 hands upwards to 15.2 over the years, did all the big county shows, and won quite a few.

It helped a lot, as my wife is a qualafied riding instuctor, we had a big merc wagon carried 4 horses tack area, plus living accomadation.

We used to go all over the country, loved it, but all good times come to an end, your kids grow older and thats life. Sold up about 7 yrs ago.

Happy family times, still go to the odd show as spectators, I will root some pics out and put them on, when the wife shows me how to do it.

Cheers Dave.

Are you Still in bed asleep Mr Flock :blink: :lol:

So Hows Maddy today.

xxxSuzy

Sleep :innocent: whats that.....highly over rated I am sure... or am I :lol:

Maddy is doing well today though still on light rations much to his dislike. That two week old little Ba***** of a colt, Jester on the other hand, cleared a four foot chain link fence today :lol:

Needless to say started out there at 6am and decided to come in for lunch at 7:30 pm :hmm:

I am sure there is a GOOD reason why I work with animals just cant think of what it is right now :lol:

NTTF

Iv grown up horse riding as has silver pigeon. We dont currently own our own yet but my sister has one called sid and silver pigeon has taken a unloved and abbandond horse called red under her wings and is helping him !

Sorry I dont have photos ATM but will try to get some up ! :D

Update - last thursday my siser lost her horse sid to acute collic. He was fine at 10pm but at 7 am was found on the floor in agony, on the vets arrival and inspection he said it was the worst he had ever seen and sid was sent to the big pasture in the sky . :lol::yes::sly:

• 2 weeks later...

Just out of interest, we have got a retired race hose on loan at the momment which my daughter is riding, doing very well, but he does get very stressed out when traveling, presumably still thinks he's going racing, any way he's a bit of a fussy eater, and as said before a bit stressy and always very very grumpy after competitions, so we looked into stomach ulcers, causes, clinical signs etc etc, any way to cut along story not so short, the wife took him to the horse vets today to have him scoped, guess what, the poor sod's got a belly full of ulcers. So now he's on gastrogaurd (I think). so with a bit of luck this will sort him out and he will start putting a bit of wieght back on, we also have to change his diet and try and get him to eat more forage, easier said than done, still he's a cracking horse and worth the hassle, the treatment last's for nearly two months, one syringe per day for 28 days and then half a syringe for 30 days, it's a bit like worming paste, the one good thing is that it's come to light at this time of year and so the horse can almost be out at grass 24/7,

The wife is a dressage instructor and on her own horse competes at inter 2. I have done a bit of jumping in the past but far to busy shooting these days!!

I have seen a number of horses that dont like the trailer and throw them selves on the ground and are generally unhappy with traveling. Not nearly so often with lorries. Most of the time some one has diriven to fast especialy round corners with the horse in the back. Just slow down a bit for a few trips especialy with acceleration and braking as well as the cornering. The bikers will hate you but if it sorts your horse out and rebuilds its confidence it has to be worth it.

Dave

Edited by Devilishdave

The wife is a dressage instructor and on her own horse competes at inter 2. I have done a bit of jumping in the past but far to busy shooting these days!!

I have seen a number of horses that dont like the trailer and throw them selves on the ground and are generally unhappy with traveling. Not nearly so often with lorries. Most of the time some one has diriven to fast especialy round corners with the horse in the back. Just slow down a bit for a few trips especialy with acceleration and braking as well as the cornering. The bikers will hate you but if it sorts your horse out and rebuilds its confidence it has to be worth it.

Dave

I know tell me about it, we've had alsorts here, we had a pony who, once he'd travelled on the lorry point blank refused to go back on the trailer,

But poor old saucy, if you had one ulcer it would be bad enough but he's got a belly full of them, there was some new figures come out a month or so ago

were they recon nearly all race horses (over 95%) have stomach ulcers, and most competition horses at what ever level will also have ulcers,

As for riding myself I used to jump at county level, then the kids came along and the more they did the less we did, and now since the diagnosis on my back I wont be riding again.

Update on Saucy, just over a week on Gastrogard and he's tucking into his feed like theres no tomorrow, phew we were getting a bit worried there, now he'll start putting wieght on, plus he's out on Dr green best thing for 'em :yes:??? ???

Have you heard they might be banning jump racing in Australia, all together. I read it in some magazine today probably Horse & Hound

They had some big meet in Victoria and one or two horse were killed, so the governing body is getting together to see if jump racing should continue.

any way NTTF that's quite a handy link you posted there cheer's :D

ps the very story I was on about is on that site :good:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...