sh**ting

shooter2

Shooter 2, hi

I had a similar problem with a lab some years back, but she also used to kick it all round the kitchen and roll in it! And she had a large pet flap to go in and out!

This seemed to happen almost every day in spite of the fact that she had regular exercise and a meal, and went on well past the first year. She seemed to be, in all other respects a happy little dog, and used to pick up for me when we went lamping for woddies with air guns.

I am sure NTTF may well have better ideas on this one, but I was told at the time the most likely cause was anxiety caused by separation, and her belief that she needed to look after me, and In leaving her she was unable to do her job, In the same way that some children will misbehave to get your attention even if it’s not the attention they desire, and even if the period of separation seems to you to be quite short. I started to leave the radio on, and on my return would at first ignore her, put the kettle on or some other mundane chore and make sure she could see me, if she tried to jump up and greet me, I just turned away. It was hard as my instinct was to show her my happiness to see her, I would then clear up the mess and not chastise her in any way. Then on my terms, greet her and show her some love. Apparently she learnt that I could fend for myself, and that she was loved, and that I would decide on the terms of our contact, and not be forced by her behaviour, which may also take the form of whining or barking.

I am not under any circumstance saying this is the case with this dog, I just want to pass on my experience and what worked for us. I am most grateful to NTTF and others for their advise to date, and will no doubt be calling on them again soon when my new pup arrives, so I hope this may help your mate, if only to know he is not alone.

pavman

Sounds Like you need to go back to square one with some basic house training.

I would be tempted to feed twice a day, first thing and early evening at the same time and then immediately take the dog to a designated part of the garden to deficate.

Heap praise on the dog when it gets it right but dont be too keen to chastise it if it doesnt or it will think it is wrong to deficate and will invariably start to conceal its motions by perhaps eating them.

It is unlikely that any product would stop her doing this in that particular spot. If she is of a gundog breed I would be very suprised if she doesnt grasp the idea quite quickly.

I have trained my cocker and springer to do this on a piece of gravel at the end of the garden 6ft square. It also saves the lawn form being burnt by urea all the time as well.