Detling - Kent Country & Game Fair

dapper

Well I went to Kent Country Game fair at Detling nr Maidstone

I purchased some ear protectors, nothing special and a cartridge bag and a couple of books. Some sunglasses (eye protection)for clays

It was interesting with the animals, cooking etc, There was lots of clothes to buy, as for Shot guns I would say pretty poor indeed! I think there was only 1 stand selling shot guns. Last year was a much better selection. I would not say it had a great selection either. Especially for the prices he was asking. But then I am not an expert on guns at all. A few stands were selling air rifles. Actually they are expensive for what they are. Why is that!? Not my thing just yet!

I also had a Pork roll with stuffing, which was the highlight of the adventure! Weather was apauling but it was last year!

Oh and everyone where possible wore green with a hat.. and bought a dog as to look as though they were from the country! Wait a minute they were from the country.

The wife enjoyed more than i did, she and the kids were eating all the free tasters! everything from cheese to pies, At least it saved me buying them lunch!

Everyone must be extremely rich as the the clothing was in my mind bloomin expensive, Jackets £139 guess what colour, yep you got it. Green! or you can have it waxed if you were lucky you might be able to get a brown coloured one. Its a bit like being in the army, everything green or looks like part of woodlands. Shooting jackets - waist coats - £50 - 100 gee I have entered a world where I might actually need to get my financies together and in order! Probably need a loan from the bank.

Dave

Depends what you want to do Dave. There's no real need to get expensive camo gear for sitting in a hide shooting pigeons, use cheap army surplus stuff, it'll do the job just as well. It's your movement that'll give you away, not your clothing.

If you plan on the more formal days then yes, you'll probably have to dig a little deeper to dress for the occasion, though there are plenty of bargains to be had. Mostly in more conservative greens/browns/tweeds. It's tradition don't ya know!!

If it's colour you're after then clays are the way forward. Pretty much any colour you want to wear and to whatever budget you have. Different colour glasses, ear defenders, gloves, vests, tee shirts, trousers......... the lot!! Go for co-ordinates for the 'sponsored' look, or mix and match for the 'i don't give a **** look'. You can get loads of colourful badges and put stickers on your gun/bag as well, :)

Personally i tend to go for black :good:

Hi Warlock,

Yes thats what I plan to do, Have a few lessons. I spoken to Carol at Martin Gorsewood, So will be having a lesson there on the 12th April.

After that I tend to have a few lessons down my neck of the woods and just practice away and see what happens.

Thanks for the offer Warlock and yes when I know I can hit something (Preferably the Clay) and I feel confident I will let you know. Thanks

Dave

Well, I went to the same Show today and saw a completely different picture (apart from the weather).

99% of dogs in the main building were contestants in the scurries and dog shows, who were sheltering there between the contests.

There have never been many guns for sale at this Show and I was suprised to see any there today (on Clayman's stand).

There was a very good and large ferret display, also birds of prey and Charles Jardine's fly fishing demos were excellent (as usual).

BASC and all the other organisations were well represented, cooking demos, some nice artwork, lots of dog stuff, free samples, liquor tasting and much , much more.

LB bought a £140 pair of boots at the Jahti Jakt stand where I bought a £16 pair of gloves (they have some great "show offers", so if they are at a Show near you, be sure to go along).

I also bought some dirt cheap Army surplus stuff, rare cheeses and pies, had a good chat with a very nice man and his wife, met a few people I hadn't seen for a while and enjoyed every minute.

Anyone going tomorrow should have a better day, as the forecast is a lot better than todays.

You will have a great time. :blush:

Well, I went to the same Show today and saw a completely different picture (apart from the weather).

99% of dogs in the main building were contestants in the scurries and dog shows, who were sheltering there between the contests.

There have never been many guns for sale at this Show and I was suprised to see any there today (on Clayman's stand).

There was a very good and large ferret display, also birds of prey and Charles Jardine's fly fishing demos were excellent (as usual).

BASC and all the other organisations were well represented, cooking demos, some nice artwork, lots of dog stuff, free samples, liquor tasting and much , much more.

LB bought a £140 pair of boots at the Jahti Jakt stand where I bought a £16 pair of gloves (they have some great "show offers", so if they are at a Show near you, be sure to go along).

I also bought some dirt cheap Army surplus stuff, rare cheeses and pies, had a good chat with a very nice man and his wife, met a few people I hadn't seen for a while and enjoyed every minute.

Anyone going tomorrow should have a better day, as the forecast is a lot better than todays.

You will have a great time. :blush:

:blush: Buy some Starkies barrier/hand cream because it works and while your there get a yourselves a nice cut of ostrich steak and barely fry it :good:

All this was possible thanks to Paul Hart who unlike others didn't throw he complimentary tickets away.

Thanks Paul :blush:

LB

Hi Cranfield,

I was not complaining about the show. It was good. However you have to realise I am from the Towns. Not much country in me. (You probably guessed that). So I am obviously seeing it at a different angle. There were also many items there I havent got a clue what they were or even would be used for.

As for you seeing it differently, I am sure most people would if they are from here on this forum as they are from the country.. I am guessing.

Yes you are right they did have fly fishing, but I have never been keen on fishing. Actually to be honest I dont like handling the fish, especially when the hook gets caught way down in the throat. Ive only been fishing a few times and not really for me.

The ferrets were fun to watch and to hold. Lively little things but again not really my thing again.

I did mention all the tasters, and cheeses and pies, the wife was eating all those.

Its only the second time I have been to a country fair, at Detling. I probably will go again. However I believe it is still expensive in my opinion for what it is. Not just the entrance fee! But I understand that they have to get there pitch money back and recieve a ROI on that as well.

There were lots more stuff there than you and I have mentioned as well. So I am sure there was something for everyone. Actually there were some iron pans for fat free cooking. But if you noticed it gave a % off if your bought 2 - 3 or 4 But I could not actually see any prices on them. I have learnt not to ask for prices, as if there is not a price on there I most doubtedly cannot afford to purchase it in the first place! He was over buy the cooking stand, where they do the cooking and you can watch. Which I actually enjoyed. Its was also free to watch to my suprise!

Yes there probably were lots of bargains, if you knew what to look for! I am new totally new to the country scene and went just to get some stuff for clay shooting. That is probably about as much country as I will get. Like I said in my previous post, I was not use to so much of the same colour Green, Brown. Me being from the town I am more use to a bit more colour variety. It was a bit like buying a farrari in any colour as long as it is Red! - Not that I can afford a Farrari. Just an expression.

I noticed one stand selling horns, bones from animals, why would you want them? I must be missing something! and old fashioned walking sticks of all shapes and sizes. Not that I see many if any at all like that, they were even making them at the show. What are they for? In this modern world?

I am not trying to sound ignorant or offend anyone. It was all new to me, I have no idea on alot of that stuff or even what it would be used for. I am so use to new technology.

Dave

dapper, I didn't think you were complaining, I was just giving the "enthusiasts" point of view.

The horns and " bones from animals" were on the stick making stalls and they are stick adornments.

I am sure you noticed that a lot of the visitors were carrying sticks of this type.

People need sticks , even in this modern world, so why not have a nice one. :blush:

You were wise not to ask the price of those cooking pots, LB bought one last year and had to sell a kidney to pay for it.

Howevever, they are exceptional quality, do what they say they do and will outlast several generations of humans.

Keep going to the Country and Game Fairs and you will start to absorb everything and eventually become an "enthusiast" as well. :blush:

Just got back from the Game and Country show ...... and had a good day !

Spent to much money... far to much money :yes: Bought 3 dog leads, 2 dog beds, some dog food additive ( for bad joints ) ,Gloves , Cammo jacket from the Edinburgh out door clothing company, Pork Pies, fruit pies and a cheap pigeon magnet ( thats being tested in the garden at the moment).........

Could've spent lots more, but had to draw a line somewhere.

Enjoyed the Hawking display and the gundogs to , but the ferrets didn't do alot for me.

Missed the Chris green demo, which i wanted to see... but you can't be everywhere can you.

Dapper, the game show mostly attracts people who have an interest in country sports, which is why so many come dressed in cammo, green and brown... i was dressed in green today :blink: it sort of fits that sober colours are better for concealment in the great outdoors, which is what most who pursue countrysports want.

The County show gets far more 'Townies' attending ..... lots more colour there.

You say you don't like handling fish..., how are you at killing a Pigeon or Rabbit... could you despatch it..... and then gut it ?

Before you attempt to kill live game, please be aware of the responsibility you have to wildlife.

I was born in the country and have lived my life shooting, fishing and then eating whatever i kill... obviously different to being raised in the town,..i can see how it might seem strange to you.

See how you get on at clays , it can be quite addictive.... mixing and talking with other shooters should help decide if shooting game is what you want.... a friend of mine once shot a Rabbit that squeald his head off when wounded and although my mate did kill it .... he has never shot another Rabbit since.

Might get to meet you at Martin gorse on the 12th , and we can all have a chat ... and maybe it might help you make your mind up.

Dave :good:

Edited by MK38

Hi mk38

Yes I am ok with gutting a pigeon, Well breasting it is that the same as gutting? Is it obvious I am new to this!? Ok with and killing it! :yes:

As for fluffy little bunnies.. well that could be another story! I am a big meat eating fan and I love cooking!

I am not intending to do Game just yet! But I am sure I will later on. And yes I am planning on attending the 12th at Martin Gorse so yes it would be great, No fantastic to meet and talk to you all.

What if it is raining... will we still be attending.

Dave

I went along today and bagged a few bargains - Missed Clayman at his stall ("Wandered off somewhere" was the comment!!), but had a thoroughly good time. Best bit was when they had the three hound packs in the main arena and then invited all the kids in to have a mingle - Made my daughter's day and allowed me an extra hour to look around!!

Seemed to be a bit smaller least year, with less stalls outside the main arenas, but maybe they legged it after Saturday's downpours.

Watched the dog trials, bit of ferret racing, quick clay lesson with BASC and home in time for tea and crumpets and lashings of ginger beer

'What if it is raining... will we still be attending. '

Thats what your green coats are for !! :yes:

With pigeon i just breast them as well, can't be ***** to gut them.... but the basics were ' you don't mind getting your hands bloody' and that the bird would not be wasted.

You never stop learning and you'll never know it all..... but thats the fun of shooting.

Dave

If it`s raining you just carry on as normal, i have shot clays in snow, blizzards, rain, driving rain the lot, it all adds to your skill set as it makes the clays react differently, If it rains a good tip is use a semi auto and fire quicker, it helps keep your hands warm on the barrel. They have a tea hut at Gorsewood and a very compact setup so it`s easy to whip back for a quick cuppa then get back out.

I find a fleece and a shooting vest is all i need and my magnum boots, with the fleece it whicks away sweat but drys very quickly if it rains, some people take lightweight waterproofs but i find them restricting. I would advise a hat, whether it be a beanie or a baseball cap. depending n the setup bits of clay can come from everywhere.