6 sticks cinnamon, roasted lightly

large pinch saffron, soaked in a little warm water

250ml/8½fl oz lime juice

chicken stock

olive oil

6 fresh dates, sliced

100g/3½oz chickpeas, soaked for 1 hour then cooked until just soft

Method

1. In a large pot, brown the onions and garlic in some olive oil with the squabs, then add the salt, pepper and turmeric and fry for 1 minute.

2. Add the tomato and spice jam, honey, herbs, cinnamon and saffron. Add the lime juice and enough chicken stock to cover all the ingredients, then simmer for about 2 hours.

3. Add the rhubarb and simmer a further 5 minutes.

4. To finish, add the dates and chickpeas and serve with rice.

Or what about this one!!

Pigeon and Walnut Salad with Pear Granita

Ingredients

750ml/1¼ pint white wine

250ml/8fl oz pear juice

150g/5oz sugar

1 lemon, zest only

1 clove

2 pigeon breasts

8 or 9 whole walnuts

small amount of walnut oil

200g/7oz of mizuna

Method

1. In a pan mix the wine, pear juice, sugar, lemon zest and clove. Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Strain and freeze until firm in a shallow tray.

2. Skin the pigeon breasts and pour a small amount of the oil into a hot pan. Cook the breasts on both sides.

3. Dress the mizuna and place on the plate with the walnuts.

4. Using a fork, scrape the granita until it looks like a slush puppy(!). Serve next to the mizuna shaped in a ring and the pigeon breasts and garnish with fresh tarragon.

• 1 month later...
I dont like pigeon meat. I feel really guilty, like I should love it and eat it all the time, but I just dont like the taste!

shame, I've got an endless supply!

Ask a local butcher to turn them into sausages :) you will be very suprised :shoot::shoot:

its not the meat that tastes bad its the way its cooked. pigeon rabbit and to a lesser extent venison all have the potential to taste great or **** depending on preparation. if you use a chicken recipe and substitute chicken with rabbit prepare to be disapointed. Lean game meats are less symparthetic to bad cooking technique than fatty supermarket cuts.

pete

And bear in mind that for chicken you really need to ensure it is thoroughly cooked through, whereas for game it's really up to you. IMHO, pigeon (and other game) should be nice and pink in the middle - the breats need only a few minutes tops if fried.

Piebob

Absolutely. Everything apart from pork and chicken, as far as I am aware, can be cooked rare. I certainly do, and I'm still here! ;-)

One really important thing is to marinate well. Use 3/4 oil to 1/4 wine or cider, with whatever seasonings you like (juniper is lovely), add 2tsp vinegar (cheers lurcherboy! ;-), and then marinate for at least 3-4 hours, preferably overnight or longer. If you just have breasts/joints, then just covering the peices with marinade in a bowl is fine. But if you're dealing with a whole bird or you want to economize on marinade, then get a zip-loc bag, put the bird and marinade in it, then squeeze oll the air out and seal it. If you push the seal almost completely shut, then push all the air out with your hands and seal it at the same time, you should be able to get a pretty good vacuum, which will ensure that the marinade goes into every bit of the meat.

Cooking the bird in tin foil with the marinade is another good way to keep it moist; like a mini-casserole!

• 3 months later...

Mix a couple of tablespoons of butter with a tablespoon of strong marmalade and smear this over the breasts and inside the cavity of your woody. Twist of salt and black pepper and then roast it in a little roasting tin for 10-12 minutes at gas mark 8 (make sure the oven is really hot before you put it in).

Whip it out and cover it very losely with foil. Leave it for 5 minutes for the meat to relax then scoff it with a dollop of mash.

With game meats (and, to a lesser extent with other meat) you really have to go very hot and very fast, or long slow and gentle. Practically anything in between and it's likely to be tough and dry. :thumbs:

How about a cream and masala sauce, i've found this to go with pretty much anything.

1-2 shallots fried in a little butter and olive oil, add a garlic clove and gently fry for one minute. Turn up the heat and add a glass of masala and let it flame to reduce the alchohol content, (it'll smell great). Then finally turn out the heat and add a large spoon of creme freiche. Mix in the cream and heat gently until at the right consistency. Pour over your cooked meat and enjoy.

I normally serve this with a good dollop of creamed mash and a bed of spinach cooked with a little cream and topped with freshly grated nutmeg.

Hope you enjoy it.

Axe.

I must admit, I havent tried this with Pigeon breasts but its damn nice on chicken.

Mix Harrisa paste with Olive oil and marinade large chunks of the Pigeon breast overnight. Then wack the oven to as hot as you can, place the chunks of breast on a wooden skewer and heat in the middle of your oven for about 6-8 minutes.

Try it, its fantstic with chicken. Serve it with cous cous and a sour cream dip.

Regards,

Axe.