Shooting permission

discreet hunter

But that puts them above the law !

Are they? Do you think that coppers in the firearms teams have section 5 FAC's to carry their guns? or squaddies have a section 5 FAC with conditions on it to allow them to shoot 2 legged vermin in Afghan?

A copper tells you to hand it over, you hand it over. You try to unload it and they say give it now, you tell them it's loaded and give it to them.

Argue the point afterwards.

Are they? Do you think that coppers in the firearms teams have section 5 FAC's to carry their guns? or squaddies have a section 5 FAC with conditions on it to allow them to shoot 2 legged vermin in Afghan?

Totally agree, they proberly do not hold a cert to wander around with them, BUT they would have signed the firearm out and there whereabouts and what weapon they are carrying would be registered to them.

My initial point was : If i handed my gun over to a policeman without a SGC or FAC would that make an iresponsible person?

Could they or would they need to radio back the the station to send someone out with the correct paperwork?

Totally agree, they proberly do not hold a cert to wander around with them, BUT they would have signed the firearm out and there whereabouts and what weapon they are carrying would be registered to them.

My initial point was : If i handed my gun over to a policeman without a SGC or FAC would that make an iresponsible person?

Could they or would they need to radio back the the station to send someone out with the correct paperwork?

Cops can take them,its as simple as that. :lol:

would it make you irresponsible, would it make you confrontational if you refused. :lol:

Edited by markbivvy

Wow... I stirred up some blood there did i not....

Let me clarify a few points raised

unfortunately those who call the police any time they see 'a man with a gun' rarely seem to take the time to assess whether they may have permission or if they are being responsible. they more than likely will not have any knowledge of firearms and will instinctively call the police.

9 times in 10 (or more) the police establish that everything is 'hunky dorey' and that is that, but once that call is made, the police are duty bound to check it out. ( nickbeardo is spot on )

if you are a CERTIFICATE HOLDER for your weapon and can show relevant documents, the police will have no reason to seize your firearm if you are using it within the law and are abiding by any restrictions imposed by your licence. You will indeed be left with a smile and a wave ! ( les325 is also right in what he says )

if you are NOT a FAC holder and have no other paperwork with you showing that you have permission to be where you are shooting, the police officer will be assessing

1) the weapon

ie could it be FAC power and unlicensed

2) any other offences committed

ie tresspass with a firearm etc etc etc etc.....

The police DO have a power under law to seize any item which is suspected to be used in an offence. (police and criminal evidence act 1984)

Please remember that although we as responsible firearms users are heavily legislated against, the very fact that we are abiding by the law and can show relevant documentation to prove it, keeps the police on our side. We all want to see the idiots who dont stick to the rules caught and punished, because they spoil it for the rest of us.

As for letting the police know where you are operating.... this is a matter for you

If, like snakebite, you would rather not be checked out by the plod, and think a phone call would prevent it.... givem a ring.

NOT WEPON IT IS A GUN. !!! a wepon is somthing that is used to cause harm or with intent to cause harm ie sum chav in a city. we are all law abiding certificate holding users of guns they are tools that we use to hunt and control pests. they are guns !!

NOT WEPON IT IS A GUN. !!! a wepon is somthing that is used to cause harm or with intent to cause harm ie sum chav in a city. we are all law abiding certificate holding users of guns they are tools that we use to hunt and control pests. they are guns !!

Actually, a WEPON is one of these by the looks of it:

http://www.lakewoodconferences.com/catalog...sor_wepon_.html

Historically speaking guns were invented to kill people so they are weapons........ dont be so pedantic.

( anyway......aren't you causing harm to the pest? )

:lol:

The first thing these armed officers want to do is control the gun and you. By not following their instructions you are making the situation dangerous. When they turn up they don't know who you are or what you're doing and that can be sorted very easily if you co - operate. In the Army soldiers are governed by "rules of engagement" which are suited to the theatre of operations. A basic one when I served in the Army was three warnings to place down the gun before I could shoot the person lawfully. I'm sure the Police aren't that harsh but I for one won't be taking the chance to find out! If they take your guns without good reason surely there's a disciplinary procedure following complaints? After all this prevents you carrying out much needed work as they've taken your tools. A builder would complain if his tools were seized and he lost out on work. My thoughts for what they're worth! :oops:

mmm....

I see whats happening here.....

The rozzers will probably now of any SGC/FAC user anyway because he/she will be on record at the local station as keeping those items, will also have a record of the likely land the individual will be shooting on, and the individual will probably also have had to join the freemasons and go through all the usual turkeys backside kissing ceremonies (See the "Thin blue line" gag on youtube) to get his/her cert.

However the airgunner most probably won't be known to the police and they will try at least to confiscate the individuals weapons claiming that they need to be tested to ensure they aren't over 12 ft/lbs. Fine..

I'm sure the ploddies get money for their retirment funds not just from their greed traps but from weapons amnestied (whether this be voluntarily or by force). :oops:

What we need is a card or simialr signed by gunsmiths to certify that the weapon is under the 12 ft/lbs limit and has not been modified since it was last checked. If we can get the police and gunsmiths to buy into this then great, as long as you are not operating illegally then ploddy should have no reason to confiscate your weapon.

Trouble is that airgunners have a bad name because we need no licence. Licences are a means of control and I'm sure that most ploddies have a switch in their brains that alters their perceptions. As soon as the word "airgun" is mentioned, or one is seen the person suddenly sprouts fake bling and a lot of burberry and the person takes on the appearance of a chav without knowing it.

Just my highly cynical sixpen'th.

Tufty

• 3 weeks later...