Gun Snobs

Cosd

I just read a thread where someone was asking for 'where to find an instruction manual' for his Browning Medalist', where some ****head replied " save up for a 325 or 425 mate".

Ahhhhhhhhhhh! What is it with people who turn their noses up at people who may either be less fortunate financially or simply choose not to spend thousands on a gun?

Does an expensive gun make you shoot better? Or does it make up for deficiencies elsewhere?

Don't get me wrong, when I see a nice gun be it in a picture or someone using one (I shoot a Medalist by the way) I think yeah that's lovely, but I would never see someone whom might be shooting a gun worth nothing and make a comment like that.

Sorry guys but had to have my rant. What do you think?

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't get me wrong, when I see a nice gun be it in a picture or someone using one (I shoot a Medalist by the way) I think yeah that's lovely, but I would never see someone whom might be shooting a gun worth nothing and make a comment like that.

When I see a gun with fancy engraving and 'woodwork' I think the owner's thrown some of their money away,

I'd much prefer a nice colour hardened action and easy to clean woodwork.

Shiny bits will also glint and scare birds away more.

To me what matters in a gun is...

1) Fit

2) Weight/Balance

3) Reliability

4) Long term availability of bits for servicing

Anything else is a waste of money.

Or am I wrong?

Nial.

I wouldn't worry about it, usually the people who make such comments can't hit the side of a barn if they were standing in it. :D Theres only one like that at the club i go to and everyone knows he's the biggest plonker amongst us and even better, he rarely actually shoots. :D

Mark

I know what you mean...

What's the point of having a "really good" expensive gun if you couldn't hit a cows *** with a banjo at 5 feet with it :D

Sounds like fun! I'll have to give that a go sometime.

Will I need an expensive banjo to do that, or will any old secondhand twanger do, so long as it holds tune?

Cosd i totally agree with everthing your saying i have just posted on another thread where someone is being put down and i just cannot believe the mentality of these people.

I have worked my butt off for very little which means i can only afford alot less than most, so makes you feel a little inferior with a couple of hundred quid gun at a clay shoot untill you get in the stand and realise that you can take on the big boys with there few grands worth of Beretta's.

It does'nt bother me anymore eventhough i do like to look at the craftsmanship of some of these guns but feel like my money is best spent elsewhere like my six year old daughter!

Do i get less out of my sport for having a couple of hundred quid gun? No i don't if anything the sport is in the guy with the gun that's worth a couple of grand! when i compare score cards at the end of the day! Who's the mug?

yeah its funny i pay no attention although i own a anchutz and several CZ's i enjoy beating guys at the rifle club with my CZ especially when the next guy to me has a walther or anchutz and the look on his face is why i do it LOL

Cosd i totally agree with everthing your saying i have just posted on another thread where someone is being put down and i just cannot believe the mentality of these people.

I have worked my butt off for very little which means i can only afford alot less than most, so makes you feel a little inferior with a couple of hundred quid gun at a clay shoot untill you get in the stand and realise that you can take on the big boys with there few grands worth of Beretta's.

It does'nt bother me anymore eventhough i do like to look at the craftsmanship of some of these guns but feel like my money is best spent elsewhere like my six year old daughter!

Do i get less out of my sport for having a couple of hundred quid gun? No i don't if anything the sport is in the guy with the gun that's worth a couple of grand! when i compare score cards at the end of the day! Who's the mug?

And i agree with what you are saying.. All my scatter guns are pumps... Non mechanical and as reliable as the day is long.. The money should go to your baby girl.. I have 5 pumps and not a one was over $ 250.00.. I have never let those that posture drive me to the point of agnst :D

I agree in part, in that I don't like to see snobbery and people being put down because they haven't got a posh gun (or house or car)

However :D the other thing I can't stand is b******t cloth cap inverted snobbery. It's just as bad. If a bloke has worked hard, made a few bob and wants to buy himself a £9000 Krieghoff then get over it. I like to own nice things, problem is I can't afford to these days. If I had a lot of cash, I would buy a Krieghoff. If I had a bit more cash than I do, I'd buy a DT10. I know it doesn't make me shoot any better, but I like nice things. I'm not a snob and I wouldn't ridicule somebody else, because they shoot with a Baikal, but if they ridicule me because I shot with a Krieghoff, they'd learn some new language :D .

Green-eyed envy and jealousy is just as bad as pomp and swank.

Just because a bloke has an expensive gun and a big house, doesn't automatically mean he's a ********. It certainly doesn't mean he can't shoot, I'm not quite sure where that assumption comes from.

Edited by Chard

The gun I use all day long is a 1940's massed produced BSA - it was too short so I made a stock by masking taping some folded up cloth (skivies) to the puttbad.

I don't care about guns themselves too much, I think too many people focus on the gun being a problem before they even know how to shoot straight.