Gun Snobs

Cosd

It is a sad fact of any sport that there will always be people who can afford nice equipment and will think that allows them to sneer at others.

That is not to say though that all people with nice guns are a-holes, far from it.

I love it though when some throbber sidles up to you in the clubhouse (you know the kind, the guy who wanders around in his skeet vest, never shooting, just butting uninvited into other peoples conversations) and tells you about the guy with a Purdey who poured scorn on everyone's guns and then couldnt shoot blah blah blah.....

It either happens every weekend at every club in the land (hey, maybe it is the same Purdey owner and he traves around) or is utter bullshine....

ZB

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have only met one person dripping with disdain for owners of 'cheap' guns. He'd bought into a syndicate in Norfolk in 2007 and 2008, where I shot as a guest. Said plonker drove a suspiciously shiny Range Rover Sport, and wore lots of suspiciously new gear. He lectured the other Guns at every opportunity about how his collection of Perazzis and Kemens were superior to anything the other Guns were carrying, and he prattled on about how successful he was as an air-freight broker and how he shot more than pheasants than all of us. It was nauseating.

To cut a long story short, he was a complete fraud, and an appalling Shot. The RR Sport was a hire car. He had defaulted on his syndicate subs and was sued by the shoot captain. He shot me, and on a subsequent day shot his (hired) dog dead at its peg in a freak accident. The most hilarious thing was that all of his guns were on loan or bought on HP - he had no leg to stand on with his pathetic sneering.

He shot me, and on a subsequent day shot his (hired) dog dead at its peg in a freak accident

Jesus Christ that is absolutely ******* mad beyond all belief to what extent did he shoot you? not to bad i hope, i know someone who took a shot to the face on a grouse moor and lost his vision in one eye :good: he even knew the man who did it although said person never confessed to being the culprut :D and how the hell did he shoot his own dog?!?!?!

George

Edited by groach1234

It's funny how I have seen lots of people with expensive guns and I have yet to actually see someone with an expensive gun who is a rubbish shot :good:

Mung, you need to go on a few corporate days - Was at Bisley just over a week ago and ended up winning the team trophy and missed out on high gun by one (And you know how cack i can shoot!!). More tweed than you could shake a stick at and loads of wellies and 4x 4's that had only ever been shown photos of mud in a copy of The Field. But i did get to shoot a Purdey 12G and a Holland and Holland 20G. Must admit that when you get one in your hands you can almost understand the pricetag - Very balanced, very smooth and very pretty (Oops, I've just got a semi!!)

Jesus Christ that is absolutely ******* mad beyond all belief to what extent did he shoot you? not to bad i hope, i know someone who took a shot to the face on a grouse moor and lost his vision in one eye :good: he even knew the man who did it although said person never confessed to being the culprut :D and how the hell did he shoot his own dog?!?!?!

George

I was shot during a sunny day shooting October partridge, and I was wearing sunglasses. The **** was on the peg to my right, and I watched him swing through the line, looking him right in the eye as he pulled the trigger. I caught the edge of the pattern at about 35 yards, hitting me in the side of the face and neck. The gun to my left got a light dusting of #6 shot from 60 yards. I didn't have time to duck or shout, but it happened in full view of the gun line and skipper. He was sent packing, but sadly for that day only. Being shot is bloody painful, and it took a while for the pellets to be dug out of my face, scalp and neck by the GP or to worm their own way back to the surface. I'm convinced I still have a pellet trapped under my scalp, but X-rays tell differently. Being Normal For Norfolk though, lead poisoning is the least of my worries. What grates more is that the Gun missed the partridge he was aiming for.

I did not see the dead Labrador incident, but it was recounted to me by the skipper. The dog was shot at the peg, through the abdomen in front of its pelvis. It beld to death within about a minute, despite the efforts of two of the Guns (both veterinary surgeons) to save it. Nobody was entirely sure how it had happened, but it brought the day to a shuddering halt. It was this bloke's son's dog, who accompanied his yob father on the day.

Guest RemmySPS

Jeeze, that’s the most horrific story I have ever heard. :good: How the hell do you shoot a dog whilst shooting birds?:lol:??

I can only assume that he had his gun loaded and was holding it in a very unsafe manner and it went off. It’s a wonder he didn’t kill the lad. :D

No amount of money can buy commonsense, just as being unable to afford high quality guns doesn’t mean that you are a better shot.

I used to collect old English hammerguns and would hate to be thought a snob just because I turned up at a shoot with a nice Osborne back-action. And by the same token I would hate to think that someone with a Baikal thought that they were automatically a better shot than me, just because they had a cheaper gun.

My main shotgun is an AyA number 4 which was picked up for @ £200, and is the only gun I now shoot on a regular basis because it fits me, and I can hit things with it. But given the chance to have a Purdey, I would jump at it and would even have it fitted just to have the joy of using it in the field.

One of the better shots I have seen used to use a 2 inch chambered H&H. He wasn’t a snob, but did like his nice guns.

I caught the edge of the pattern at about 35 yards, hitting me in the side of the face and neck.

Being shot is bloody painful, and it took a while for the pellets to be dug out of my face, scalp and neck by the GP or to worm their own way back to the surface. I'm convinced I still have a pellet trapped under my scalp, but X-rays tell differently.

That could have been very bad with all of the major blood vessels in the neck, glad to hear it was not to serious as it sounds as there was little permanent damage bar the scarring that will have no doubt happened.

George

It left no lasting damage, George, but I am very glad I was wearing Oakley sunglasses that day. I always take a set with me whenever I'm shooting now, just in case I end up the the peg next to a Perazzi-wielding hooligan.

Haha got to hate the perazzi hooligans although i know a few people who swear by there 32 inch barrels magnum chambers for game and was told by someone that he is in a syndicate where people use upto 50g number 3 shot on pheasants with 34 inch barrels. i cant help but fell with a load like that you have to try to miss :good:

George

• 8 months later...
I just read a thread where someone was asking for 'where to find an instruction manual' for his Browning Medalist', where some ****head replied " save up for a 325 or 425 mate".

Ahhhhhhhhhhh! What is it with people who turn their noses up at people who may either be less fortunate financially or simply choose not to spend thousands on a gun?

Does an expensive gun make you shoot better? Or does it make up for deficiencies elsewhere?

Don't get me wrong, when I see a nice gun be it in a picture or someone using one (I shoot a Medalist by the way) I think yeah that's lovely, but I would never see someone whom might be shooting a gun worth nothing and make a comment like that.

Sorry guys but had to have my rant. What do you think?

i had a medalist when i was learning to shoot. reminded me of my old pogo stick when i was a kid

Some great reading there, I feel real fortunate in joining a syndicate where is does not matter what gun you shoot, as long as you are safe.

ATB

Tony

well said- my shotgun is a 14 year old Beretta A303 semi auto - I hit lots of Pigeons with it- could'nt manage the same with my Brand new Bettinsoli Diamond deluxe- so I sold it- expensive guns shoot the same as the less expensive ones in my opinion

Les <_<

ive just bought my first shotgun, a 30 year old Franchi that has now stopped being made. to others its a piece of ****, but to me it ill always be my first shotgun.

:good: Its not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog.

My first gun was a Medalist,brand spanking,excellent gun and I shot my first straight at skeet with it but I shot it to pieces(cracked ejectors,beads kept falling out the list goes on).

Had it for 9 months and put thousands threw it, so I went to a Miroku,the difference was massive......you get what you pay for.

Don't get me wrong the Medalist did it's job and it was great but it couldn't keep up.

Good Lord, is this reverse snobbery still churning on?

I would have thought all this green-eyed envy would have got boring by now.

Nothing changed here. If I had the dosh, I'd still get a nice gun. I must be a ******* snob. :hmm:

just people happy with the gun of their choice which they can afford ,or want to spend on a gun,and are happy with it. no anti snobbery just happy people ,shooting with a gun they`ve choosen. :good:

Guest cookoff013

i shoot a hand made merkel, custom make, made and hammered by angels, tempered by hell and blued by some guy in the middle of a german black forest gateau. it is the best gun i have ever owned. i made it fit. and can knock 9 bells out of targets.

-i`m not a snob. i ditched a beretta for a mk70 and bought a cheap pump gun.

35 year old Baikal 3 shot (5 shot before Hungerford) heavy gun but I shoot better wth it than any other gun I've tried. I don't know how many guys I've seen that got rid of a gun

they shot well with to buy a "better gun " and they could'nt hit anything with it.

And if someone handed you a new Baikal, do you think you would shoot as well, or is the 30 year gun the only one you could use. I am trying to see if it is all in the mind, because i'm sure they are all good guns mechanically?

Phil

None of my guns have cost me more than 150 quid no snobbery there ,like what was said in a previous post get out there whenever you can however you can and enjoy yourself!! dont get me wrong id love a exspensive gun but cant afford one im happy with my gear OH YEAH!!! :good::yes: :blink:

just people happy with the gun of their choice which they can afford ,or want to spend on a gun,and are happy with it. no anti snobbery just happy people ,shooting with a gun they`ve choosen. :good:

No, if they were happy with it, they'd just get on with it and shoot, instead of slagging off everybody with a decent gun.

Oh and making up tedious stories about how they thrash them at the clay ground every time. :blink:

i agree mate, i have the funds to go and buy a 20k gun but what the hell i have just bought a bettinsoli on the fact being that i do not belive that any gun over 1000 pound can make me hit a clay target any better at begginer level, gunshop owners who know me have been preaching kreighoff and blazer etc (knowing my background), hey i have earned my money and i will not spend more than need be, my betty cost 750 pounds brand new and i am happy with it, and no one will use snobbery on me, i am working class background and do not forget where i am from but i am fortunate enough to play with the snobbery and belive me some of the richer people will be put out by a down to earth talking betty shooting mondeo driving (yes mondeo i dont belive in flash things) person, so PULL ---BANG let me see dust hopefully!!