Gun Snobs

Cosd

I think you will find that the threads abusing hatstand owners are usually started by PW members who have a sense of humour and not by the ones with a chip on their shoulder.

I've got to agree with this. I said earlier that I've never seen a case of a gun snob (seriously) trying to belittle someone with a cheap gun. What I have seen, dozens of times, is the opposite. Grubby and bitter little weasels making up stupid stories so they can spit their envious venom at people who can afford a decent gun. It is this that sparks tongue in cheek threads about Lanber owners smelling of wee and hammering in fence posts etc etc etc :good:

Edited by Chard

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also I own guns from a Blaser F3 and RPA Custom built rifle to a Dirty Stevens 79 pump action and Ruger 10/22. What does that make me?

I know for a fact that my F3 is far superior to the pump action in every way.

Mind you I still don't own a hatstand.

Let me guess,

You are often seen at your local clay ground beating all the baseball cap wearing toffs who have far too much money with your rusty old hatstand aren't you?

I think you will find that the threads abusing hatstand owners are usually started by PW members who have a sense of humour and not by the ones with a chip on their shoulder.

Indeed so, I mean why do people take it so serious about being a Hatsan owner-I mean they do go on about it with a chip on their shoulder.

I don't personally have anything against Hatsan owners, in fact there was one at the clay ground the other day and I nodded to him.

What I can't work out is why he flung himself to the ground shouting 'I'm not worthy'

How very,very peculiar.

Has anyone else had this happen to them?:good:?:yes:?

Edited by starlight32

I must say chaps I have read these threads with great interest I was having the same debate at my club last weekend. Don’t you think this is a reflection of a modern society, this dammed obsessive nuisance of ones pastimes and hobbies being made accessible to the masses. I am led to believe one can actually purchase a shotgun for a few thousand pounds. Well this is bound to lead to problems. Do you know at this years New Years Day shoot there were a number of chaps who one didn’t recognise. It turned out they were employed in the building trade, Yes the building trade would you believe! As you can imagine there was uproar amongst the chaps. I said to Notso, That’s Notso Bright for all who know, him we would not be attending next year.

Even my loader whom I have employed for five years, knot sure of his name, was wearing a baseball cap. Well chaps the writings on the wall. I can assure you If ever I spot someone even holding a shotgun with a baseball cap they’ll receive a dammed good horse whipping.

I must say chaps I have read these threads with great interest I was having the same debate at my club last weekend. Don’t you think this is a reflection of a modern society, this dammed obsessive nuisance of ones pastimes and hobbies being made accessible to the masses. I am led to believe one can actually purchase a shotgun for a few thousand pounds. Well this is bound to lead to problems. Do you know at this years New Years Day shoot there were a number of chaps who one didn’t recognise. It turned out they were employed in the building trade, Yes the building trade would you believe! As you can imagine there was uproar amongst the chaps. I said to Notso, That’s Notso Bright for all who know, him we would not be attending next year.

Even my loader whom I have employed for five years, knot sure of his name, was wearing a baseball cap. Well chaps the writings on the wall. I can assure you If ever I spot someone even holding a shotgun with a baseball cap they’ll receive a dammed good horse whipping.

And with a post like that Ray are you a shotgun **ob , sorry snob :good: BB (obviously a wind up)

Edited by Bluebarrels

NOT!

:good::yes: Funny as ####, I could have believed it, had you been able to spell correctly. LMAO... :yes:

Excuse me Sir! disregarding the failings of this auto spell predictive lap thingy this is not a wind up as you eloquently suggest. I am merely offering the suggestion that this whole situation has a sinister underbelly which is the seemingly bare faced cheek of the working classes to try and infiltrait polite society.

i once went to a hft club and they had all there daystates and whatnot and i got a few rolleyes and scoff at my old lightning.

Yeah, but that's just an air rifle.................not a real gun!!

Hmmmm gun snobs :)

Can't say i've ever come across one myself :yes:

were they all wearing cammo!!!? with knee pads and beanbag rucksacks?:)

OMG those boys make me laugh!!!!

Oi! I'm an air gunner. And it is a posh Weihrauch. Oh go on then. Let's talk about the obsession with ultra high mag scopes when the bloomin' things only shoot forty yards :yes:

I just read a thread where someone was asking for 'where to find an instruction manual' for his Browning Medalist', where some ****head replied " save up for a 325 or 425 mate".

Ahhhhhhhhhhh! What is it with people who turn their noses up at people who may either be less fortunate financially or simply choose not to spend thousands on a gun?

Does an expensive gun make you shoot better? Or does it make up for deficiencies elsewhere?

Don't get me wrong, when I see a nice gun be it in a picture or someone using one (I shoot a Medalist by the way) I think yeah that's lovely, but I would never see someone whom might be shooting a gun worth nothing and make a comment like that.

Sorry guys but had to have my rant. What do you think?

like yourself mate i also hate gun snobs.

people pay megga bucks for a grade 5 browning when a grade 1 is the same gun without the embelishments.

yet the same gang complain about paying £1 more for carts.

I use a 30 year old winchester 101 in cracking nick never breaks down or missfires made in usa one of the last. £500

I also have a hilton century. cheap as chips but smashes clays just as good as a top grade browning

I have an old time love with baikals. yes I have one, it will still be shooting well after my grandson as gotten old.

it will outlive all the brownings.

but the worst snobs of all are the dtl shooters, with grudges against semi's they realy get on my wick.

iv'e had my gripe now and am of to bed. night all. spend your money.

:yes:

• 2 months later...

Hello, my name is Colin and I have just found out I am of the traveling community, with a bladder problem... :)

I am a comittee member at my local small clay club and I have seen snobbery from both ends, there are guys who turn up with all the kit but no clue, and those with a cheapy gun and are a bloody good shot.

Yes the best guys use the best guns, but that is usually down to wanting the best, not that they have so much money they can afford it anyway, they have spent years building up to it.

However, there is one chap there, who does have the money, and worse, the talent, he is an outright ignorant, arrogant, stuck-so-far-up-his-a***-he-can-see-daylight king of guy. Anything less than £2000 and it's considered to be scrap by him. The problem is, although he is a reasonable shot, he is regularly beaten by the same people with guns costing under £1000, even I have done it with my ***** wee stick more than a few times.

Gun snobbery, it exists, but it isn't as prolific as people think. :yes:

I experienced gun snobbery first hand. It really ****** me off actually.

I had 2 guns at the time, a Miroku MK38 Sporting and a Benelli Supernova pump. I always used the Miroku for clays.

I took a friend to the local clay ground one evening to try and get him into the sport (they permit guests as long as supervised). I was going to let him use the Miroku and I would use the pump so we didnt have to keep handing the gun back and forth and hold people up. Before we even got to the stands the owner stopped me and said "We don't allow those here" pointing at my Benelli. I said thats fine if it is the rules but what is the reason? He said "We don't like the rambo image". He was a proper snobby tweed/skeet vest wearing guy.

What was annoying was that it gave a really bad first impression to my friend who had never been to a shooting ground before. I am aware that pumps arent the best for skeet but its fun to have a go sometimes and this time it was just so my mate could shoot the miroku.

I havent been to many other grounds so I am paranoid now that there will be ***** like him everywhere.

Here we go. The cloff cap chip-on-shoulder thread has reared it's butt-ugly head yet again.

Let's get all the cliches out the way quickly, you know, the ones that spring from a vivid shoulder-chipped imagination :lol:

Yes, you go down the clay ground with your Benelli/Lanber/Mossberg/Baikal fence post and you hammer the harris off the blokes with Perazzi/Kreighoff/Blaser/Beretta don't you?

Course you do.

You hate all those ******** that have earned themselves a few bob, don't you?

Course you do.

You'd never spend more than £100 on a gun would you? I mean what's the point?

You wouldn't stoop so low as to wear tweed, would you. Who needs tweed when there's camo?

There, that should save a few megatons of bandwidth :no::lol::no:

well said Chard...

At the end of the day, if you are an ********... you're an ********.... money or not!!! I've meant skint *********, & monied *********. I've met ********* with expensive guns & ********* with cheap guns.....

In a short period of time I have accumulated a lot of shooting gear (multiple skeet vests, etc.... etc) & have spent a lot of money on my new hobby - including on a few guns. I would neither look down on someone with an inferior gun or look up to someone with a better gun. I would hope that no-one would be looking at my accumulated gear & thinking "what an ********"..... If you think I'm an ******** because of my personality, then that's up to you.... but not down to guns & gear!

I DO, however, look up to someone who has a high skill level in shooting & admire how they do it. If I practice enough, hopefully one day I will get quite decent at this sport, as I love it.

I think there are too many people, both looking down at people with "inferior" guns..... & wanting to get one over on people who have a decent gun. Why bother? Just get on with your life....... it's too short as it is.....

just my opinion...... (written by an ********)

Well said best sense i have heard all day you are what you are if people do not like it tough :lol:

Here we go. The cloff cap chip-on-shoulder thread has reared it's butt-ugly head yet again.

Let's get all the cliches out the way quickly, you know, the ones that spring from a vivid shoulder-chipped imagination :lol:

Yes, you go down the clay ground with your Benelli/Lanber/Mossberg/Baikal fence post and you hammer the harris off the blokes with Perazzi/Kreighoff/Blaser/Beretta don't you?

Nope. :no:

Course you do.

You hate all those ******** that have earned themselves a few bob, don't you?

Nope. :lol:

Course you do.

You'd never spend more than £100 on a gun would you? I mean what's the point?

I'd spend lots on a gun, if I had it. :lol:

You wouldn't stoop so low as to wear tweed, would you. Who needs tweed when there's camo?

I like tweed, just can't afford it. :(

There, that should save a few megatons of bandwidth :lol::P:lol:

It's not that I don't think expensive guns are not worth it, they usually are, it's the muppets who have the most expensive equipment looking down on those like me who can't afford it, or the reverse, those that look at the best with disdain, that get my goat.

Personally, I would always say you should buy the best you can afford, and stick with what you like the most.

£50 or £50,000 if it don't fit, you won't hit. :no:

When me and the keeper went to a charity clay event one summer a few years ago, we pulled up in the truck with mud all over it, lamping roll cage ect and out we stepped in camo trousers and a shirt, and pulled out semi autos out of the truck, we went to a stand where this bloke was with his wife and had all the gear, perazzi waistcoat, nice beretta shotgun ect, orange glasses, gay hat, you know the type, all the gear, no idea, he shot like ****, anyway, i stepped up and started rinsing the clays out, shooting them almost instantly as I said pull or letting them get far away and then dusting them, after a while he chirped up and went "oh, you can definately tell who the pigeon shooters are" me and the keeper looked round and thought, bloody cheek, u shot like **** and ur trying to take the mick?? hahaha, just becasue we had literally come from the rearing field in our gear! :D

When me and the keeper went to a charity clay event one summer a few years ago, we pulled up in the truck with mud all over it, lamping roll cage ect and out we stepped in camo trousers and a shirt, and pulled out semi autos out of the truck, we went to a stand where this bloke was with his wife and had all the gear, perazzi waistcoat, nice beretta shotgun ect, orange glasses, gay hat, you know the type, all the gear, no idea, he shot like ****, anyway, i stepped up and started rinsing the clays out, shooting them almost instantly as I said pull or letting them get far away and then dusting them, after a while he chirped up and went "oh, you can definately tell who the pigeon shooters are" me and the keeper looked round and thought, bloody cheek, u shot like **** and ur trying to take the mick?? hahaha, just becasue we had literally come from the rearing field in our gear! :D

Pleeeeeease tell me you were using a rusty Baikal and D&Js, that way the story will have it all.

I think I can hear Chard having a seizure as I type :lol:

ZB

Pleeeeeease tell me you were using a rusty Baikal and D&Js, that way the story will have it all.

I think I can hear Chard having a seizure as I type :lol:

ZB

I might even Phone him to wind him up abit :lol:

Better not he's got toothache again :D

I have read on many occasions how last weekend someone non specific went to a non specific part of the country where are non specific group of people (who were specifically dressed in tweeds) and who were driving non specific (but specifically expensive) 4x4's and who then:

1. frowned at or belittled the use of a [insert choice of [a] pump action semi auto [c] hammer gun [d] Baikal / cheap shotty]

2. refused to [insert choice of [a] pick up their empty cartridges stop speaking loudly]

It's all ******. I have never seen anyone be rude to anyone at a clay ground about anything let alone whether their gun was expensive or nice enough.

However, on a final word I would like to clarify that I do consider that Lanber shotguns are for gypsies and people who smell of wee.

I got one of them :P:P :(

I can see I wont be left alone till I get a quality shotgun :D:lol::lol: decisions

Alan

That's nothing! The other day i was at the clay ground and i was on form. The clays were dust as soon as they appeared. Then I saw a couple of dodgy fellas (you know the type, camo trousers, truck with roll cage etc) and they started getting all green-eyed over my fantastic new glasses , hat and perazzi waistcoat. What's more is they were using S/As- bloody cheek! Suffice to say they couldn't hit a thing and you could tell they were getting angry with my fantastic performance. To rub it in a little a made a witty comment about how blatently obvious it was they were pigeon shooters. They left tail between their legs, and then my wife kissed me because i had been so brilliant that day.