Gun Snobs

Cosd

Never come across gun snobs, and bearing in mind that my three shotguns together cost a grand total of less then £350 I would expect the odd sneer. But they go bang when I pull the trigger and I wouldn't be any more accurate, or less inaccurate with a posh gun so who cares? What I have experienced though are dog snobs. When I used to turn up at new shoots with two or three border collies some of the keepers nearly had a fit. I always was invited back though - with my dogs.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scott at JJs (who shot a 83/84 today and was high gun) shoots with some £20k plus SO Beretta. He's a good shot, he's down to earth and you won't meet a nicer bloke - he'll talk to anyone and help anyone. So, why should I dislike him because he can afford a £20k gun?

Again, I have never seen anyone be rude to anyone else at a clay ground - any I get around a bit (oooh no naughty, not in that way).

So, all these stories about camo, semis and pumps and beasty Perrazi owning tweed wearers who can't shoot - what a load of old "jealous" cobblers.

All I can say is does it really matter??? your all shooting at the same thing and its the scores that count surely.

If somebody owns a 20k gun fair enough he has probably put lots of working hours to have a successful business and now is living the life.

Surely if I had a few million in the bank I would dress smart and have a nice car and gun wouldnt you?

All I can say is does it really matter??? your all shooting at the same thing and its the scores that count surely.

If somebody owns a 20k gun fair enough he has probably put lots of working hours to have a successful business and now is living the life.

Surely if I had a few million in the bank I would dress smart and have a nice car and gun wouldnt you?

I would, you too, but there are a few out there who are of the opinion that if your's isn't as expensive/cheap* as mine, it's not good enough/you're a one handed action man.*

*Delete as appropriate.

I would, you too, but there are a few out there who are of the opinion that if your's isn't as expensive/cheap* as mine, it's not good enough/you're a one handed action man.*

*Delete as appropriate.

Oh really?

You should change your clay ground in that case.

if they can afford a 20k gun good luck to them,i aint jealous of them :D ive outshot plenty of Purdey owners,and been outshot by plenty of Baikal owners,its not the gun, its whoever shoots it :lol: must admit ive been to many areas clay shooting,and not come across snobbery,just a good crack with plenty of banter :lol: BB

When me and the keeper went to a charity clay event one summer a few years ago, we pulled up in the truck with mud all over it, lamping roll cage ect and out we stepped in camo trousers and a shirt, and pulled out semi autos out of the truck, we went to a stand where this bloke was with his wife and had all the gear, perazzi waistcoat, nice beretta shotgun ect, orange glasses, gay hat, you know the type, all the gear, no idea, he shot like ****, anyway, i stepped up and started rinsing the clays out, shooting them almost instantly as I said pull or letting them get far away and then dusting them, after a while he chirped up and went "oh, you can definately tell who the pigeon shooters are" me and the keeper looked round and thought, bloody cheek, u shot like **** and ur trying to take the mick?? hahaha, just becasue we had literally come from the rearing field in our gear! :lol:

You have a splendidly vivid imagination. I could hear this thread developing from my death bed and I just had to get up :P

If this was April 1st, I would have assumed this was a wind up. It is the most gloriously perfect cliche I've ever read. As Zapp pointed out, the only thing missing is the fence post Baikal held together with baler twine. Truly magnificent.

I assume you'll be going to the North v Saaarf punch up to claim top prize. I mean you'll be on a 100% straight, I can tell :D

Have you got any more of those pills? I'm sure they would help this abscess :lol:

When me and the keeper went to a charity clay event one summer a few years ago, we pulled up in the truck with mud all over it, lamping roll cage ect and out we stepped in camo trousers and a shirt, and pulled out semi autos out of the truck, we went to a stand where this bloke was with his wife and had all the gear, perazzi waistcoat, nice beretta shotgun ect, orange glasses, gay hat, you know the type, all the gear, no idea, he shot like ****, anyway, i stepped up and started rinsing the clays out, shooting them almost instantly as I said pull or letting them get far away and then dusting them, after a while he chirped up and went "oh, you can definately tell who the pigeon shooters are" me and the keeper looked round and thought, bloody cheek, u shot like **** and ur trying to take the mick?? hahaha, just becasue we had literally come from the rearing field in our gear! :D

:lol::lol::P:PJackanory :( :( :lol: :o BB

:lol::P:P :( Jackanory :( :lol: :o :P BB

There is a very interesting point hidden in this tale actually.

IF this did happen and I say if (well I'm sure it is possible, I just think it's been glossed up a little - OK glossed up a lot).

The best clay shooter I've ever seen was a pigeon shooter. When a man says to you "You can tell who the pigeon shooters are", that is NOT an insult, it's NOT taking the pi$$. This is where this pathetic wallflower nonsense about snobbery comes from. All you over sensitive little dears get yourselves all hurt, because your overly-vivid imaginations make you THINK that people are having a dig at you. This was actually a (deserved) compliment to pigeon shooters. :D

God give me strength :lol:

IF this did happen and I say if (well I'm sure it is possible, I just think it's been glossed up a little - OK glossed up a lot).

The best clay shooter I've ever seen was a pigeon shooter. When a man says to you "You can tell who the pigeon shooters are", that is NOT an insult, it's NOT taking the pi$$. This is where this pathetic wallflower nonsense about snobbery comes from. All you over sensitive little dears get yourselves all hurt, because your overly-vivid imaginations make you THINK that people are having a dig at you. This was actually a (deserved) compliment to pigeon shooters. :D

:lol::P:P

The best clay shooter I've ever seen was a pigeon shooter. When a man says to you "You can tell who the pigeon shooters are", that is NOT an insult, it's NOT taking the pi$$. This is where this pathetic wallflower nonsense about snobbery comes from. All you over sensitive little dears get yourselves all hurt, because your overly-vivid imaginations make you THINK that people are having a dig at you. This was actually a (deserved) compliment to pigeon shooters. :yes:

Good shout, it was glossed up a bit but it did honestly happen, but from the way he said it he was taking the mick, not that it bothered us because we went to raise money for cancer and to meet a few mates!

Have to say ive not come across any gun snobs yet, although when I first started shooting clays about 7 years ago I did raise a few eyebrows when I turned up at the shooting ground in jeans / hoodie with a semi. Everyone else had tweed jackets and o/u`s. But, once everyone got to know me, they were all friendly enough appart from one guy who seemed to always look "down" on me for using a semi. But, he was a miserable so-and-so at the best of times anyway!

Since then ive shot various guns on the clays, including £60 cheapie shotguns, when the other guys ive been shooting with have had very expensive guns, and no-one has made any comments about my guns. Its all been about the shooting and the enjoyment of the sport.

Maybe ive been lucky?!

Guest Mr Pieman

I have read almost all or this thread - all 15 pages!! A quiet day in Atyrau today!! I'd like to make the following observations :-)

As a 'people watcher' for a job - I work in Behavioural Safety - there appears a definite ideology that runs through the comments, which directly relates performance (shooting skills if you like) to the benefits of expensive shotguns. Many times people have talked of relentlessly outshooting the 'guy with the expensive toy'. I've no doubt this is the case, but I suspect the likes of Faulds and Digweed would outshoot most of us, even if they used a hollowed out broomstick!!!! For some, shooting well is an inherent skill - most of us have to work hard at it and practice often :-)

Next, is the lively debate about posh guns. I shoot three nice guns. A Beretta SO6 for pheasants, a Beretta SO5 for pigeons and a Beretta 687EELL for anything else, including clays. All were brought new, so obviously I must be stonking wealthy. Actually 'no'. The SOs were brought as investments and will leave a nice nestegg for wifey et al. once I pop my clogs. Do the guns shoot better? No idea!! Do I think they make me shoot better; ABSOLUTELY yes. All things - living and clay - suffer a higher mortality rate if I use the guns above. Previously, I have owned several other guns; Baikals, Webley, Berettas - 686s, 682s etc - and shoot consistently better with my current 'poshers'. In reality, I think it is down to better balance - or al least in my head it is, anyway.

I also use 'big brass' cartridges - Express Supreme Game 5s, 32 gram. I throw them at everything, including pigeons. Why? Because for me they work well. If I couldn't afford them, then I'd have to look for something else I guess.

Plenty of people outshoot me, but my personal performance IS better with a shiny expensive gun and costly cartridges. It doesn't make me a bad person though!!

Lots of people have asked to use my SOs when I've taken them to shoot clays and I never object. Invariably, people shoot well with them and/comment on the balance and feel etc. So, maybe there is a hint of truth in expensive guns make us shoot better. But, as I said, clutching my SO6 against Faulds with a hololowed out broomhandle, the same money will be backing him:-)

Can you shoot you chep gun better than I shoot my posher? Probably. BUT, does my posher make me feel like I perform as well as I can? Yes, so you can be happy of beating me and I'll be happy with doing the best I can :-)

Poka

Edited by Mr Pieman